Skins you're most impressed by

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
15395 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:00 am

I've always liked this theme for Reaper.....

Reaper.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
1871 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:33 am

recursive one wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:36 am
THE INTRANCER wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:30 am
My reskin of Hive 2.

Original
Sorry, but that's a good example of a skin made to look "impressive" but barely useable.

Everything is too dark, almost no contrast. The original Hive skin is much better in this aspect (and looks better overall, IMO)
Hive 2, has five gamma levels and the image shown is pictured using the darkest of these. The contrast is as high, lowering the contrast by increasing the brightness (gamma) would lower it. In bright natural daylight using the highest level of gamma the UI is fine. In the dark it works well also.

The dark design actually has a higher contrast level than the original UI, with a minimal colour palette, so is less confusing and more visually cohesive.

In these screenshots of various alternate versions, you can see what else has changed when you compare it with the original here.

I'd check to see if your contrast settings are set right on your monitor, graphics card settings or that of your OS. Yes the UI's are dark, but they look fine on my Windows 7 and Window 10 OS to be near identical to be useable.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRist
69 posts since 23 May, 2020

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:06 pm

The Console Series skin for U-he's free Podolski vst is amazing:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRian
970 posts since 23 Oct, 2009 from Italy

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Olga
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

KVRian
1345 posts since 14 Apr, 2016 from Germany

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:13 pm

Image upload as attachment doesn't work. Also [img] in the message box doesn't work. Even the image in my signature is gone. :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

KVRAF
7074 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:45 am
EnGee wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Maybe when computers become faster after few years, MX will be more popular.
I find MX quite good on the CPU.
It is OK. On my setup, the average preset uses about 20% CPU on average (Live 11). While the old Massive is about 5%.
MX will be more popular when they add a browser, midi learn/automation and MSEG's.
Yes the browser is primitive! It is 2 steps back! Also, ignoring Midi learn is a stupid decision IMO, so most of the times I find myself using the old Massive instead!
But why do you think the P1...P3 can't be used as MSEGs? I haven't delved into making my own presets yet in MX as I haven't a need for it yet.
Mostly: M1 Air with Logic Pro, Live 11 or Bitwig 4 beta || Win 10 PC with Studio One v5, Live 11 or Bitwig 3.3 & MODX 6, KeyLab MK ii and several plugins.

KVRAF
1871 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:16 pm

fgimian wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 am

I tend to agree. What many people don't seem to understand about dark themes, is that something which is too dark is just as fatiguing as something bright.
That's not really true... at least not in my experience. You don't get fatigue when you look into a starry night sky for example. My eyes are so sensitive that the white light emitted from this forum is more unpleasant for me. Particularly when making a message in the pure white box.
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

KVRAF
19145 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 pm

EnGee wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm
pdxindy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:45 am
EnGee wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Maybe when computers become faster after few years, MX will be more popular.
I find MX quite good on the CPU.
It is OK. On my setup, the average preset uses about 20% CPU on average (Live 11). While the old Massive is about 5%.
MX will be more popular when they add a browser, midi learn/automation and MSEG's.
Yes the browser is primitive! It is 2 steps back! Also, ignoring Midi learn is a stupid decision IMO, so most of the times I find myself using the old Massive instead!
But why do you think the P1...P3 can't be used as MSEGs? I haven't delved into making my own presets yet in MX as I haven't a need for it yet.
20% for how many voices? I find MX is efficient with more voices.

P1 - P3 cannot be per voice... they are global only, so more like sequencers than envelopes. Old Massive performers can be per voice.

The MX LFO's are not very capable and only have a fixed set of shapes without any phase control. So between that and no per voice MSEG's, it is actually fairly limited for fine control.

KVRAF
19145 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:22 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:16 pm
fgimian wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:37 am

I tend to agree. What many people don't seem to understand about dark themes, is that something which is too dark is just as fatiguing as something bright.
That's not really true... at least not in my experience. You don't get fatigue when you look into a starry night sky for example. My eyes are so sensitive that the white light emitted from this forum is more unpleasant for me. Particularly when making a message in the pure white box.
Just cause something is true for you doesn't make it true for others...

KVRAF
7074 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from Auckland, NZ

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:29 pm

pdxindy wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 pm
EnGee wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm
20% for how many voices? I find MX is efficient with more voices.
I don't find a difference (or that difference) when I press one key or a chord! So, yes as you said. It seems more efficient with more voices.
P1 - P3 cannot be per voice... they are global only, so more like sequencers than envelopes. Old Massive performers can be per voice.

The MX LFO's are not very capable and only have a fixed set of shapes without any phase control. So between that and no per voice MSEG's, it is actually fairly limited for fine control.
Yes, you are right :( I haven't thought about P1 functioning like that. I thought it can be used as MSEG as well.
Hmmm, I really prefer the original Massive design (by far!).
Mostly: M1 Air with Logic Pro, Live 11 or Bitwig 4 beta || Win 10 PC with Studio One v5, Live 11 or Bitwig 3.3 & MODX 6, KeyLab MK ii and several plugins.

KVRAF
2537 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:58 pm

trackbout wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:59 am
love these free Microtonic skins from LarsErik

Wow! Never knew about these skins.Beats the hell out of the old regular one. :clap:

KVRist
284 posts since 29 Apr, 2019

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm

ya they're pretty new, Sonic Charge only added the ability to skin a couple months ago, and ya they are a MASSIVE improvement over the default UI.

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:41 pm

trackbout wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:44 pm
ya they're pretty new, Sonic Charge only added the ability to skin a couple months ago, and ya they are a MASSIVE improvement over the default UI.
Is there a step by step what and where to download and how to install? I see a tone of confusing stuff but was looking for a straight forward "download this file" and here's how kind of thing for somebody who doesn't know much about skins. Thanks

KVRAF
15395 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm

Download from here:

https://github.com/fredli74/microtonic-skins

Then put the files into a folder called Microtonic V3.3 Resources

Then make sure that folder is in the same location as the Microtonic .dll

There are detailed instructions in the link.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF

Post Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:05 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:48 pm
Download from here:

https://github.com/fredli74/microtonic-skins

Then put the files into a folder called Microtonic V3.3 Resources

Then make sure that folder is in the same location as the Microtonic .dll

There are detailed instructions in the link.
Much appreciate you taking the time Teksonik. I'll give it a shot.

Return to “Instruments”