DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

nobadmojo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 pm Hi there.....great extension.

I;m thinking of switching from Studio One and Ableton to Bitwig Studio and have a question about your Launchpad x script please

Have I lost access to the 4 Custom Modes? I hope not....If not, how do I call them up??. I;m thankful to have found your script because it doesnt seem like Bitwig formally supports Launchpad x.

I looked thru your documentation and it seems like the Custom Mode button does everything but call up Custom Mode. I;d like to midi assign some things. Thanks for any help.
DrivenByMoss uses the programmers mode of the Launchpad and therefore the hardware custom modes cannot be used. Since you are new to Bitwig I suggest that you look into what is possible already in Bitwig with mapping (especially how remote parameters work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeK9cGfNDeo) and what you can do with the extension.
If you really have the need for specific mappings you can still use the Launchpad "directly" with Bitwig by using one of the generic drivers, e.g. Generic Flexi gives you a lot of control.

DrivenByMoss 11.6.1 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Requires Bitwig 3.2.5+
  • APC40/mkII
    • New: Select Session mode again when already in Session mode to dis-/activate birds-eye view, which allows to quickly navigate the session grid.
    • Fixed: MkI: All clips did blink not only the selected one.
    • Fixed: Cursor up/down was mixed up in the simulator.
  • APCmini
    • Fixed: Selecting a mode did still send the pad up event to the new mode and e.g. started a clip in session mode.
    • Fixed: Selected mode was not always displayed correctly.
    • Fixed: Play/Stop did not work.
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Drum 64 mode: Selected pads in the right bottom corner were lit in the left upper corner.
  • Push
    • Fixed: Drum 64 mode: Selected pads in the right bottom corner were lit in the left upper corner.
    • Fixed: Clip parameters could not be slowly changed with Shift.
Enjoy!

Just wanted to say that Akai Fire seems to be working perfectly on OS X now.
Previous version did as well, but just did a quick test after instaling todays update, and the display problems seems to have gone away.
I think it has been so since Bitwig 3.3, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know if they changed the sysex handling, which I understood was the problem.
I'll do some more testing, but it seems to be working flawlessly. I've been through most of the functions, not the drum sequencer yet, but I'll report back if I find anything.
If this is old news then let me just add that this is really well done and a fantastic addition to Bitwig.
Thanks again for your work Moss

andersskibsted wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:00 am Just wanted to say that Akai Fire seems to be working perfectly on OS X now.
Previous version did as well, but just did a quick test after instaling todays update, and the display problems seems to have gone away.
I think it has been so since Bitwig 3.3, but I'm not entirely sure. I don't know if they changed the sysex handling, which I understood was the problem.
I'll do some more testing, but it seems to be working flawlessly. I've been through most of the functions, not the drum sequencer yet, but I'll report back if I find anything.
If this is old news then let me just add that this is really well done and a fantastic addition to Bitwig.
Thanks again for your work Moss
The sysex issue was fixed in Bitwig 3.3.2.

moss wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm
codec17 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 pm Ive got a strange "problem" with push-1 and BWS 3.3.1 with script: 11.6 and 8.98. and curious if im the only one.
So,... When ive got a bunch of tracks and groups, i can switch freely in and out of groups, switch tracks and devices, on my push and on my monitor screen. (push follows nicely)
But when i select the master channel, Push just freezes. it reacts to note inputs of tracks when you switch with mice on monitor and you,ll hear those tracks also, but the push-1 screen doesnt switch back from the master channel. (well after 15 seconds or so and sometimes after a minute that is)
So i rolled back to version 7.6 and everything works nicely again.
Can't see an issue here. Does it happen all the time when you select Master? Is there an exception in the JavaScript console?
Hi Moss Thank you for answering and your time.
I just updated to 11.6.1 and same problem.
I switched USB cables etc etc, different songs. It happens all the time.
It just switches very sloooooowly after a while, and now ive got the feeling it just isnt only the master what causing the problem, it just happens after a couple of switches of tracks, diving in and out of groups.(on screen and push-1 buttons)
But got the feeling its got something to do when in device mode. (when im in device mode and switch to master it gives me the screen of the the project on/off screen etc. And it doesnt show the devices. (when i hit device button the trouble starts.)

Sorry,... :? I dont understand this one: Is there an exception in the JavaScript console?
I fired it up but dont see anything unusual overthere,.

But what i said. i cant get my finger on it. And its not that of a biggy for me to switch to 7.6.
And my "subscription" is over with bitwig till 3.3.1. I try to troubleshoot more and get back to you after a while.. Til now Thank you for your dedication. :tu:

codec17 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 am
moss wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 pm
codec17 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:01 pm Ive got a strange "problem" with push-1 and BWS 3.3.1 with script: 11.6 and 8.98. and curious if im the only one.
So,... When ive got a bunch of tracks and groups, i can switch freely in and out of groups, switch tracks and devices, on my push and on my monitor screen. (push follows nicely)
But when i select the master channel, Push just freezes. it reacts to note inputs of tracks when you switch with mice on monitor and you,ll hear those tracks also, but the push-1 screen doesnt switch back from the master channel. (well after 15 seconds or so and sometimes after a minute that is)
So i rolled back to version 7.6 and everything works nicely again.
Can't see an issue here. Does it happen all the time when you select Master? Is there an exception in the JavaScript console?
Hi Moss Thank you for answering and your time.
I just updated to 11.6.1 and same problem.
I switched USB cables etc etc, different songs. It happens all the time.
It just switches very sloooooowly after a while, and now ive got the feeling it just isnt only the master what causing the problem, it just happens after a couple of switches of tracks, diving in and out of groups.(on screen and push-1 buttons)
But got the feeling its got something to do when in device mode. (when im in device mode and switch to master it gives me the screen of the the project on/off screen etc. And it doesnt show the devices. (when i hit device button the trouble starts.)

Sorry,... :? I dont understand this one: Is there an exception in the JavaScript console?
I fired it up but dont see anything unusual overthere,.

But what i said. i cant get my finger on it. And its not that of a biggy for me to switch to 7.6.
And my "subscription" is over with bitwig till 3.3.1. I try to troubleshoot more and get back to you after a while.. Til now Thank you for your dedication. :tu:
That's bad to hear, so if you can get any hint how to reproduce that, that might be helpful. What is your OS?
Regarding updates AFAIK you can still use all 3.3.x current and upcoming versions.

Hi thanks a lot for your help. I understand. Makes perfect sense. I need to have a better understanding of Bitwig and your script. I think both are great. Time for a change. Ed
moss wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:46 am
nobadmojo wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:55 pm Hi there.....great extension.

I;m thinking of switching from Studio One and Ableton to Bitwig Studio and have a question about your Launchpad x script please

Have I lost access to the 4 Custom Modes? I hope not....If not, how do I call them up??. I;m thankful to have found your script because it doesnt seem like Bitwig formally supports Launchpad x.

I looked thru your documentation and it seems like the Custom Mode button does everything but call up Custom Mode. I;d like to midi assign some things. Thanks for any help.
DrivenByMoss uses the programmers mode of the Launchpad and therefore the hardware custom modes cannot be used. Since you are new to Bitwig I suggest that you look into what is possible already in Bitwig with mapping (especially how remote parameters work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeK9cGfNDeo) and what you can do with the extension.
If you really have the need for specific mappings you can still use the Launchpad "directly" with Bitwig by using one of the generic drivers, e.g. Generic Flexi gives you a lot of control.

thanks for the update, just checked new version with APCmini -- can confirm the fixes are working and I didn't spotted any regressions

thanks again!

moss wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:46 am DrivenByMoss 11.6.1 is online!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • Requires Bitwig 3.2.5+
  • APC40/mkII
    • New: Select Session mode again when already in Session mode to dis-/activate birds-eye view, which allows to quickly navigate the session grid.
    • Fixed: MkI: All clips did blink not only the selected one.
    • Fixed: Cursor up/down was mixed up in the simulator.
  • APCmini
    • Fixed: Selecting a mode did still send the pad up event to the new mode and e.g. started a clip in session mode.
    • Fixed: Selected mode was not always displayed correctly.
    • Fixed: Play/Stop did not work.
  • Launchpad
  • Push
    • Fixed: Clip parameters could not be slowly changed with Shift.
Enjoy!
Thanks for new features but is it still not possible to scroll Bitwig screen in sync with APC40 ?

dupont wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:58 pm Thanks for new features but is it still not possible to scroll Bitwig screen in sync with APC40 ?
You mean that the Bitwig window follows what you see on the APC? That's actually a bug in Bitwig with scrolling.

moss wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:01 pm
dupont wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:58 pm Thanks for new features but is it still not possible to scroll Bitwig screen in sync with APC40 ?
You mean that the Bitwig window follows what you see on the APC? That's actually a bug in Bitwig with scrolling.
Yes. So lets wait for a bitwig update ! Thanks anyway for your usefull work.

Thank you for your work on this script! It is a blessing to be able to use controllers without knowledge of coding.
But are you aware that there is a bug in the Generic Flexi? Only CC´s will allow to output MIDI messages (for LED feedback etc).
When using note on / off messages no MIDI out data is sent even though the option is checked.
Are you aware of this issue?

Mantras wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:53 am Thank you for your work on this script! It is a blessing to be able to use controllers without knowledge of coding.
But are you aware that there is a bug in the Generic Flexi? Only CC´s will allow to output MIDI messages (for LED feedback etc).
When using note on / off messages no MIDI out data is sent even though the option is checked.
Are you aware of this issue?
You are right! Will be fixed in the next update!

Is it possible to make Push 2 note repeat buttons work normally when in note mode? The current method of cycling incrementally prevents live performance.
Laptop Win11 Home 16" Asus ProArt i7-12700H 64GB RAM RTX 3060
Desktop Win11 Pro Aorus X570s Pro AX AMD 5900x 128GB Ram RTX 3060

JBlongz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:20 pm Is it possible to make Push 2 note repeat buttons work normally when in note mode? The current method of cycling incrementally prevents live performance.
You can assign the repeat rate to the ribbon instead.

Return to “Controller Scripting”