Cubase Pro 10.5.20 is *no longer* the perfect DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

jens wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:52 pm
Sindikhate wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:37 pm Whenever a german company tells you that they are doing something for the user... ALWAYS.. but ALWAYS question that and look for other things behind their choice. It is almost never for the user's benefit, but always something else. I would not even be surprised if the recent outage or whatever was "fake" in order to introduce something supposedly for your interest but not really...
German-hatin' much, huh? What did those bloody Krauts do to you over there in Hannover?

It is not german hating at all. For how many years people have been asking for dongle free Steinberg products and getting a NO answer? What has changed their mind now?

Let's dissect this from their announcement for a bit shall we?

1) "We have decided to adopt a new license management technology that everyone will benefit from to prepare for coming requirements."

- What are these "coming requirements" ? Who is making these requirements? Are there new laws about to come?

2) ""An authorization system shouldn’t get in your way, but support you in the onboarding process.
Anti-piracy protection technology shouldn’t restrict you as the customer, but secure your investment.
A license management shouldn’t stop you from using your products, but enable you to be creative, whenever and wherever you are."

- My elicenser has not ever gotten in my way. It does not restrict me either, and my investment is secured far more than a license stuck on a computer registry that might get corrupted, or a hard drive that might die before I can de-authorise it.
- My elicenser has not stopped me from using their products whenever and wherever I am, because I can easily just install the products without the need to deauthorise another machine in order to authorise the one I want to work on, without the need to uninstall products on my way out of someone else's system or look for folders or registry entries to remove keys.

So their whole announcement stinks to me. This is why I said.. do not trust them when they try to present something as your advantage while it has nothing at all to do with that. In fact it is a disadvantage. Many EU laws have been presented the same way and it was always clear that it was never for the benefit of the people.

Reading the customer base reactions to their announcement (on their forum and on their facebook page) someone can easily see that the users have absolutely no issues with the elicenser.

Sindikhate wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:16 am
So their whole announcement stinks to me. This is why I said..
Nope, it's not what you said - this is what you said:
Whenever a german[sic] company tells you that they are doing something for the user... ALWAYS.. but ALWAYS question that and look for other things behind their choice. It is almost never for the user's benefit, but always something else.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:49 am
Whenever a german[sic] company tells you that they are doing something for the user... ALWAYS.. but ALWAYS question that and look for other things behind their choice. It is almost never for the user's benefit, but always something else.
I know very well what I said. I can name you many car companies that have done the same, electronics companies, car tire companies and many other industries. But it is not relevant is it? It is never for your advantage, it is for their advantage which is fine, I just do not get the need to present it otherwise and it is definitely not guilt on their part. They exist to make money and no one can blame them for that. I just never buy the "IT IS FOR YOUR OWN ADVANTAGE". It is very lame marketing which I have mostly encountered over there. If Steinberg started having problems with piracy as of late they can come out and say that. I am sure we will support them. If they do it because they expect laws to change fine. If they do it to spy more on you like another big name in the industry does and many of their workers voiced their concerns about it, they can go do one. No?

Do you remember Article 13? It was for our own advantage apparently, no? Well it was not really... In fact this change may have something to do with Article 13 as we are coming close to the 2 year implementation this May.

He loves to rant and ramble...

as Brits do. :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:06 am He loves to rant and ramble...

as Brits do. :hihi:
Well when it comes to things Germans do, we have history there :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I got all excited about not needing a dongle for Steinberg Absolute anymore. Then I saw that I have my Vienna licenses on my dongle also. Sigh.

teilo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 pm I got all excited about not needing a dongle for Steinberg Absolute anymore. Then I saw that I have my Vienna licenses on my dongle also. Sigh.
Thankfully VSL is switching to iLok. I’m looking forward to that freed up USB port.

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t ... post302591

Tronam wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:37 pm
teilo wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:33 pm I got all excited about not needing a dongle for Steinberg Absolute anymore. Then I saw that I have my Vienna licenses on my dongle also. Sigh.
Thankfully VSL is switching to iLok. I’m looking forward to that freed up USB port.

https://www.vsl.co.at/community/posts/t ... post302591
Yes! Thank's for that. Now if only Vengeance would do the same, I could get rid of my CM dongle. It still works for Reason at present, but looks like those days are numbered as Reason is going to full-on online activation.

Presonus studio one is more user friendly and much less buggy than Cubase
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Sindikhate wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:32 am
jens wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:49 am
I know very well what I said. I can name you many car companies that have done the same, electronics companies, car tire companies and many other industries. But it is not relevant is it? It is never for your advantage, ... remember Article 13? It was for our own advantage apparently, no? Well it was not really... In fact this change may have something to do with Article 13 as we are coming close to the 2 year implementation this May.
WTH? Seriously, what does being German have to do with it? Seems like typical corporate BS from anywhere. we are fortunate in virtual music making that we have many small devs that actually care about what we (the customer) care about. Some of the are based in Germany.

on topic: i laughed when i read the title of this thread, i'm glad it wasn't what it looks like.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

What's the new dynamic EQ in Cubase like?
I'm close to buying Toneboosters EQ4, but will also probably activate Cubase 11 when the .5 version drops.
That said i may just wait for v12, i really have no need for upgrading yet.

I actually downgraded from Cubase 11 to Cubase 10 (Artist). Version 11 caused me a headache with spikes (random) and I couldn't solve it. Now, with version 10, it seems stable with my PC! I run it for about one hour, and there were no cpu spikes. So, mostly I will stick with it :)

TS-12 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:22 am Presonus studio one is more user friendly and much less buggy than Cubase
Not on MacOS for many people. Studio one is a crashing hell here 5.1 and it’s been since 4.6 update. No help from support either they just said they will keep looking at it. Many people have similar problems.

Some times it even randomly crashes on an empty project without any 3rd party VSTs installed and on a clean install with all peripherals removed.

Cubase 10-11 on the other hand has crashed about 3-5 times in the last 12 months.

Finally, an update (10.5.30), and hopefully the windowing bugs are fixed. It's only taken 10 months. :roll:

I'd lock the thread, but I'm not into that sort of thing.

Windowing bugs? Doy you mean that Cubase disappears to the background after adding a plugin? This one is still present in Cubase 11.
The 'solution' here is to make sure all other running programs are minimized (on Windows).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”