Hive 2.1 Izmo skin by Plugmon

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Also how do we change the number of steps in Izmo.
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.15.12 AM.jpg
I dont see the number of steps or is the expectation we drag out the arrow/range?
Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 11.15.19 AM.jpg
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:48 pm That opens the Seq section, I don't see the the Arp Menu in that section alas.
rsp
It's on the bottom right corner of the GUI when the Seq box is open:

hive 030621-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

zvenx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:17 pm I dont see the number of steps or is the expectation we drag out the arrow/range?
rsp
Yes you drag the arrow. The number of steps is displayed in the top readout box.

To be honest I find the Izmo skin to be aimed more at fashion than function. Others no doubt disagree.

I'll keep working with it and maybe I'll like it more but if not the default skin is fine with me (with a few color tweaks).
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:43 pm
zvenx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:48 pm That opens the Seq section, I don't see the the Arp Menu in that section alas.
rsp

hive 030621-2.png
Ahh I missed it.
Thanks
Cause it is in a completely different colour. I didn't even consider that was a new section only available with the rest of the lighter pop up.
rsp
sound sculptist

Teksonik wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:46 pm .......

To be honest I find the Izmo skin to be aimed more at fashion than function. Others no doubt disagree.

I couldn't agree with you more.
rsp
sound sculptist

I think Izmo has quite a few functional improvements. For instance, the overall layout is intuitive and logic minus some smaller non-obvious functions hidden in icons. And the PRV-style sequencer is a brilliant idea (Plugmon has a knack for making some U-he things a little more user friendly like the delay times in Diva/Aiko).

Since this is an "official" skin, I'm sure once 2.1 is officially released a few people may take Izmo and begin modifying to change up some colors, use clearer fonts, change some labels, and maybe even streamline it further. It seems like plugmon has a vision for Izmo, and as an artist, I respect that even when it's not how I would've done something. But I'm sure the community will jump in and look to make their own Izmo mods.

Regarding the name Izmo: I don't know what it means but it's cute. Reminds of me of Gizmo, the mogwai from Gremlins.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:08 pmRegarding the name Izmo: I don't know what it means but it's cute. Reminds of me of Gizmo, the mogwai from Gremlins.
Compared to the stock Hive skin, Izmo is “bright light” so you may be on to something there! :D

Teksonik wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:46 pm Others no doubt disagree.
Exactly as you say - not that I "disagree" (much too confrontational), just that for me and my workflow, the Izmo skin is so much better than the original - I've tried going back, but can't.

Izmo all the way.

(Who knows why? Maybe just like another synths that I use, or somehow aligned with my h/w controller mappings? I think it's probably to do with having osc-osc-filter-filter in a row along the top - just the way my patch creation process works)

Name variant suggestions:

(G)izmo: Patchy brown/white gremlin version
(Sh)izmo: Bling version
(Bl)izmo: Snow white version
(W)izmo: Just one dial to control the entire synth

zvenx wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Teksonik wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:43 pm
rsp

hive 030621-2.png
Ahh I missed it.
Thanks
Cause it is in a completely different colour. I didn't even consider that was a new section only available with the rest of the lighter pop up.
rsp
Same here

octaveup wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 am
Teksonik wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:46 pm Others no doubt disagree.
Exactly as you say - not that I "disagree" (much too confrontational), just that for me and my workflow, the Izmo skin is so much better than the original - I've tried going back, but can't.

Izmo all the way.

(Who knows why? Maybe just like another synths that I use, or somehow aligned with my h/w controller mappings? I think it's probably to do with having osc-osc-filter-filter in a row along the top - just the way my patch creation process works)

Name variant suggestions:

(G)izmo: Patchy brown/white gremlin version
(Sh)izmo: Bling version
(Bl)izmo: Snow white version
(W)izmo: Just one dial to control the entire synth
Izmo all they way here too.

octaveup wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 am Exactly as you say - not that I "disagree" (much too confrontational), just that for me and my workflow, the Izmo skin is so much better than the original
That's the problem for me...there is no flow. It's all just too disjointed. One needs only read back through this thread to see all the "where is this" and "how do I find that" posts to know that there are issues.

But it's good that there are two completely different skins for Hive so everyone can use the one that fits them best.

I'll just stick to the original skin. I've done a lot of patches using it so I find it comfortable except for the mirrored envelopes but that's a minor issue. One day I'll stop reaching for Osc 2 Mod thinking it's the Amp Env since it's on the left. :lol:

Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 am But it's good that there are two completely different skins for Hive so everyone can use the one that fits them best.
100% :tu:

Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 am One day I'll stop reaching for Osc 2 Mod thinking it's the Amp Env since it's on the left. :lol:
I've lost count of how many times I've done this :lol:

I much prefer the layout of the izmo skin - never was a fan of the parallel stuff rather than having like with like (oscs with oscs, filters with filters, etc)

Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 amThat's the problem for me...there is no flow. It's all just too disjointed. One needs only read back through this thread to see all the "where is this" and "how do I find that" posts to know that there are issues.
Izmo is for experienced users... it provides functionality that the regular skin doesn't and in exchange, some things are less obvious. Beginners should stick with the default skin which is very friendly.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 am
Teksonik wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:28 amThat's the problem for me...there is no flow. It's all just too disjointed. One needs only read back through this thread to see all the "where is this" and "how do I find that" posts to know that there are issues.
Izmo is for experienced users... it provides functionality that the regular skin doesn't and in exchange, some things are less obvious. Beginners should stick with the default skin which is very friendly.
That's the problem, I am an experienced user having programmed hundreds of patches for Hive and having used it in every project and usually multiple instances.

I don't find the Izmo skin to have any functional advantage at all. In fact I find it to lack in functional efficiency and is a lesson in how not to design a skin (in my opinion)

I would recommend new users stick with the default skin as well which is much more efficient but if they like the look of the Izmo skin they might as well start with it and slog through the learning curve rather than learning the default and then having to re-learn how to use Izmo.

Like I said to me Izmo is more fashion than function but again others will disagree and that's fine. It's good there are choices so people can choose which fits them better..... :tu:

Return to “u-he”