Synth -Sinmad 0.9.9- featured this month (april) in One Synth Challenge, reports thread:

Official support for: nusofting.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

gigue07 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 am -This message surfaces: [ Failed to copy preset BA Trial ]
It's been a long time since looked at any of this stuff, and OSes have moved along quite a bit. It's possible that the default directory for user presets doesn't allow files to be written to it. A couple of thoughts spring to mind:

1. We do have an in-app error log. I don't remember if that's only logging preset and theme loading errors. If there's an error log, it's listed in the main plugin popup menu.
2. There's a menu to open the Windows explorer at the presets directory. Might be worth trying that to see where it is on Windows 10.

blurk wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 am
gigue07 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:12 am -This message surfaces: [ Failed to copy preset BA Trial ]
It's been a long time since looked at any of this stuff, and OSes have moved along quite a bit. It's possible that the default directory for user presets doesn't allow files to be written to it. A couple of thoughts spring to mind:

1. We do have an in-app error log. I don't remember if that's only logging preset and theme loading errors. If there's an error log, it's listed in the main plugin popup menu.
2. There's a menu to open the Windows explorer at the presets directory. Might be worth trying that to see where it is on Windows 10.
Oh Ok, blurk, thanks for the tips. I try to "run as administrator" when using Ableton, and that helps save the edited presets.

Tj, have you tried already the 0.9.3 with the pitch bend fix on Mac? I sent you a link by PM.
Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:12 am I am on Mac...
And here is a quick advice for implementing MPE:
https://www.rogerlinndesign.com/support ... to-add-mpe
And the official docs are useful as well:
https://www.midi.org/specifications
You can sign up for free to get them...

liqih wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:03 pm Tj, have you tried already the 0.9.3 with the pitch bend fix on Mac? I sent you a link by PM.
When setting PB to 24 its reaching the octave now two notes early. Try exactly in between, its logarithmic according to the frequency. Half way is 1/squareroot of 2...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:32 pm
liqih wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:03 pm Tj, have you tried already the 0.9.3 with the pitch bend fix on Mac? I sent you a link by PM.
When setting PB to 24 its reaching the octave now two notes early. Try exactly in between, its logarithmic according to the frequency. Half way is 1/squareroot of 2...
Strange, in Ableton Live the modulation PB curve +50% and -50% of a clip now has the octaves -12 and +12 in tune when Sinmad is set at 24, if I change as you say then it's no more consistent with Ableton Live. I will check MPE specifications.

Ableton maybe puts its own curve on it...

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:15 pm Ableton maybe puts its own curve on it...
Ableton shows the MIDI value on automation curve : -8192 ... 8191
(since the MIDI PB range is 0 ... 16383).
Therefore if I have +24 ST at 8191, I will have +12 ST at 4095.5.

I would ask you to record the PB MIDI value out of you MPE controller, if not much trouble.
A MIDI file with one note and 3 octave jump with PB. So I could see the actual data per octave.

If pitch bend spits out 8192 you should have 0 ST, as its in the middle. 12 ST should be at 12287 and +24 at 16383...

Ableton: 16383 is split in [-8192 ... 0 ... +8191] so that 0 = zero semitone offset, -8192 = max bend down and 8191 max bend up.

BTW you could simply see with a MIDI monitor like this https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/ or others,
which valuse your MPE controller gives when you play all semitones with PD, I find strange that is not linear but there must be reason. Therefore I could add PB curve switch to choose the one that use need. This should make everyone happy, I guess.

Hi Liqih, really enjoying your synth - one bug I've found seems to be that the display doesn't always refresh after changing the parameters using the randomise button or clicking on a preset.

This seems to happen after it's been used for a while and resets with a new instance.

For example, having played around using "a clean start" as base, made various things, then started using the randomise button, the synth will change parameters but until you mouse over them, the dials don't change. And then going back to "a clean start", the preset is no longer the clean sine sub.

Ableton 11, Big Sur.

Double Tap wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:04 pm Hi Liqih, really enjoying your synth - one bug I've found seems to be that the display doesn't always refresh after changing the parameters using the randomise button or clicking on a preset.

This seems to happen after it's been used for a while and resets with a new instance.

For example, having played around using "a clean start" as base, made various things, then started using the randomise button, the synth will change parameters but until you mouse over them, the dials don't change. And then going back to "a clean start", the preset is no longer the clean sine sub.

Ableton 11, Big Sur.
Thanks very much for the report, honestly I don't have Big Sur installed yet and the randomize feature is just experimental so far, so I'm not much surprised that there are bugs, but happy that you can already use it on Big Sur (even though with those issues).
When you say : And then going back to "a clean start", do you mean reloading the preset from the menu or using the [compare] button?

Ah, hadn't thought of the compare button. No, I mean, when I reload a preset sometimes it doesn't reload properly.

So this has happened a few times and seems to be related: i make a preset and save it - let's call it "Best Snare Ever" - then try to move to find something new.The preset name is showing in the GUI. I mess around with parameters, but then end up with Something Crap. I don't save that as a preset, of course, but then I'll then reload another preset, like one of the defaults, but if I go back to Best Snare Ever it will reload the parameters when it was Something Crap. If I open a new instance then BSE works again.

The randomise button is really cool but it does seem to throw up some weird behaviour.

Been testing, and found a couple of issues to report:
The first relates to oscillator 'duo' setting not recalling properly when set to off. This affects the 'a clean start' preset and many others.
- if I load a preset where the duo setting is other than 'off' e.g. set to fifths, then load a preset where it was set to off when saved it will stay on fifths.
- I did manage to create a preset where it will recall the 'off' setting and another where it does not.
- attached zip with three presets to demonstrate: - INIT which works properly, INIT 2 which does not, and a randomised preset where the setting is +130.
The difference was for INIT I pulled down the value until it only just went to 'off' and INIT 2 where I pulled down all the way.
I hope this makes sense, took a while to crack it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My second issue relates to a processor overload relating to the effects section:

A patch with echobis unit on, saturation on, and reverb 1 on (half button): play one note, when the sound has faded away the processor suddenly goes into overdrive with no sound playing. Play another note (glitches from sound processor) and the processor usage drops away to normal until the release is complete, then goes overdrive again.

The processor usage drops back when saturation boost gain is fully left, or if reverb or echobis are switched off, or if reverb is set to full button.

Windows 10, tried in Mulab, Cubase 7.5 and Reaper - all exhibit this issue in varying degrees of processor usage. Bitwig and Tracktion Waveform both handle it better but still show a higher sustained processor usage.

Double Tap wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:42 am Ah, hadn't thought of the compare button. No, I mean, when I reload a preset sometimes it doesn't reload properly.

So this has happened a few times and seems to be related: i make a preset and save it - let's call it "Best Snare Ever" - then try to move to find something new.The preset name is showing in the GUI. I mess around with parameters, but then end up with Something Crap. I don't save that as a preset, of course, but then I'll then reload another preset, like one of the defaults, but if I go back to Best Snare Ever it will reload the parameters when it was Something Crap. If I open a new instance then BSE works again.
Yes, that's because the modifications are stores in the plugin state of the session, this way you don't loose your modifications even if you change preset. But it could be that is not the desired behavior, right?
The randomise button is really cool but it does seem to throw up some weird behaviour.
True, I need to work more on that feature.

Return to “NUSofting”