ARM updates galore beta round 01 revision 11152

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ACE (Any Cable Everywhere) Bazille Colour Copy Diva Presswerk Repro Satin

yeah really, i'm impressed that an -entry level- MacBook gets thrown into the mix with Xeons, i9 9900KS, 95W Ryzens lol.

I sold my 13" i5 (4-port thunderbolt) when M1's were announced since i mostly use it for concerts (that... don't exist) and then when i got it also sold my mini.
Over at logic forums someone ran the TNM logic benchmark (the new multicore) - the M1 Pro gets 105 tracks, and a 16-core Mac Pro Xeon gets 180.
except it costs 10x as much, and i doubt low-latency performance is as good

nevernamed wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:58 pm You're psyched at the prospects of the M1X that's coming out sometime in the future?
Really? A 700% improvement in an iterative release isn't enough for you? Has Intel ever delivered a 700% improvement between releases? Has anyone? I guess 31 tracks of Diva at 32 buffer isn't quite going to cut it.
No, you misunderstood. I'm psyched at the rumoured 16" M1X MBP that's coming out sometime this year because I plan on buying one upon announcement. I just don't want a 13" laptop. If the current M1 MPB came in a 15 or 16" I would've got it already. Note: I've also never owned a Mac. Or any laptop that could run audio work. So lots to be psyched about.

i'm psyched at M1X/M2 minis

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 pm
nevernamed wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:58 pm You're psyched at the prospects of the M1X that's coming out sometime in the future?
Really? A 700% improvement in an iterative release isn't enough for you? Has Intel ever delivered a 700% improvement between releases? Has anyone? I guess 31 tracks of Diva at 32 buffer isn't quite going to cut it.
No, you misunderstood. I'm psyched at the rumoured 16" M1X MBP that's coming out sometime this year because I plan on buying one upon announcement. I just don't want a 13" laptop. If the current M1 MPB came in a 15 or 16" I would've got it already. Note: I've also never owned a Mac. Or any laptop that could run audio work. So lots to be psyched about.
Same for me... I want the 16" MBP. I want a laptop where the fan doesn't come on all the time. I'm psyched whether it is an M1 or M1X... either would be plenty of CPU power

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:59 am The problem is everything iLok can't go native until iLok goes native, early 2022 :dog:

That's a great reason for everyone to finally ditch third party DRM entirely - relying on another company to allow you to provide updates in exchange for... a service that doesn't help your paying customers at all? :roll:

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:59 am The problem is everything iLok can't go native until iLok goes native, early 2022 :dog:
What's the source of the 2022 date? I haven't been able to find the anywhere.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:50 pm What's the source of the 2022 date? I haven't been able to find the anywhere.
ugh, i really can't remember. Maybe it was one of the beta forums or some developer FB group?
I remember searching for official info but haven't found anything either.
MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 pm That's a great reason for everyone to finally ditch third party DRM entirely - relying on another company to allow you to provide updates in exchange for... a service that doesn't help your paying customers at all? :roll:
yes, yes it is.

Ploki wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:56 pm
glokraw wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:45 pm How does the computer physically detect ambient lighting changes?
Or does it use profiles based on time zones, geolocation, weather reports etc
mac books have an ambient light sensor that detects lumens and surrounding light temperature, and adjusts white-point accordingly.
it's kinda like https://justgetflux.com but not only for night time.
it's pretty seamless and actually isn't bad. if you have yellow room lights, the screen is more yellow, if you have neons, it's more white it makes working on the screen easier on the eyes
Thanks for the info. It makes me wonder if it's detection can aim, if it has a line-of sight? Would a large user switctching between black and yellow shirts be noticed? Or does the detector point up, or is it omni-directional, and does it support polyphonic aftersight? (sorry, couldn't resist :dog: )
Pretty cool, in any case, or pretty warm in a small one...(sorry again)

The Diva cpu stats: :hyper:

Lol :D

MitchK1989 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 pm

That's a great reason for everyone to finally ditch third party DRM entirely - relying on another company to allow you to provide updates in exchange for... a service that doesn't help your paying customers at all? :roll:
Yeah I hear ya but not going to happen. For me at least. Not until someone finally copies the Pro Tools Smart Tool (or Edit Tool) and that whole minimalist workflow that avoids multi-hand gestures. And of course also sounds as good as Pro Tools while cutting (with fades and such); but that's less of a concern and most daw's are kind of there on this point already. From what I've seen only the Bitwig boys have clued on here and tried to copy some of that minimalist workflow that Pro Tools nails but they don't have native M1 support either at the moment so this is a moot point. I'm also not crazy about their subscription for updates model but it is a little bit more reasonable than Avid. Whoever figures out how to implement the Pro Tools workflow for editing has got my money but until then there is no getting off the Avid train unfortunately :(.

nevernamed wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:39 pm
Yeah I hear ya but not going to happen. For me at least. Not until someone finally copies the Pro Tools Smart Tool (or Edit Tool) and that whole minimalist workflow that avoids multi-hand gestures.
uh, Logic has that but it calls it "zones".
basically with just the pointer and NO modificators, i can use:
- "marquee" zone bottom half of regions (Selector tool)
- "pointer" (normal) top half of regions (Grabber tool)
- Trim (bottom corners)
- Fade (top corners)

Also right-click assignable to another tool and cmd+click to another cool. I practically never switch tools in logic.

Ploki wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:09 pm i'm psyched at M1X/M2 minis
Yes, and to answer the question, no, the current M1 isn't enough of a gain for me to buy a mac at this point in time. There have been a number of reviews and the improvements are not uniform across all use cases. Several people who do video work sold their M1 minis.

Hopefully with the M1X we will see more thunderbolt ports as well as a better GPU. The performance will be better and the price higher but I'll feel more confident about sinking the cash into a new Mac for a longer term. I don't replace my macs as often as I do my PCs, because they are less upgradable, so I'm much more critical about the value proposition. I'm glad that I didn't buy the new mini a while back and I don't want to be mad that I purchased the wrong AS mini.

ghettosynth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:48 pm
Yes, and to answer the question, no, the current M1 isn't enough of a gain for me to buy a mac at this point in time. There have been a number of reviews and the improvements are not uniform across all use cases. Several people who do video work sold their M1 minis.

Hopefully with the M1X we will see more thunderbolt ports as well as a better GPU. The performance will be better and the price higher but I'll feel more confident about sinking the cash into a new Mac for a longer term. I don't replace my macs as often as I do my PCs, because they are less upgradable, so I'm much more critical about the value proposition. I'm glad that I didn't buy the new mini a while back and I don't want to be mad that I purchased the wrong AS mini.
new mini is 700$ - it won't perform as a mac pro running a dedicated GPU, but it general over-performs any Mini i7 with an eGPU (also due to performance losses because thunderbolt)

Ploki wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:57 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:48 pm

new mini is 700$ - it won't perform as a mac pro running a dedicated GPU, but it general over-performs any Mini i7 with an eGPU (also due to performance losses because thunderbolt)
So an M1X machine will perform better yet. I'm super judgy of embedded GPUs. The M1 is decent, but I want more before I fork over cash on a machine that you need to dongle the hell out of to expand the thing. No, I don't want yet another box sitting next to the mac with a GPU connected over thunderbolt. I'll buy an AMD mini-itx machine first.

Not buying an M1 mac, I'll let you guys be the guinea pigs. By the time I'm ready to buy Urs' updates will have been out long enough to have had a good shakedown!

Ploki wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:35 pm
nevernamed wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:39 pm
Yeah I hear ya but not going to happen. For me at least. Not until someone finally copies the Pro Tools Smart Tool (or Edit Tool) and that whole minimalist workflow that avoids multi-hand gestures.
uh, Logic has that but it calls it "zones".
basically with just the pointer and NO modificators, i can use:
- "marquee" zone bottom half of regions (Selector tool)
- "pointer" (normal) top half of regions (Grabber tool)
- Trim (bottom corners)
- Fade (top corners)

Also right-click assignable to another tool and cmd+click to another cool. I practically never switch tools in logic.
Ahm no it really doesn't. It has the marquee tool or whatever they call it but it's clunky as hell. Pro Tools is far more elegant in this area. Nothing that Apple couldn't sort out if they wanted to but as it is implemented now I'll say no thanks. And not disparaging it. I'd love it if they could fix the implementation. It's a great daw with lots of value to it. Also, Logic is rather ungraceful in its handling of audio when you start cutting things up. Lots of pops/clicks etc. This usually means more fades and cross fades etc. A lot more. And batch fades are not the solution for me. Again, no thanks. This has to be as smooth as it is in Pro Tools for me to even consider jumping ship. Then there is the zooming in/out; coordinated hand movements etc. No thanks. And I'm a customer who wants to switch. Look I played around with other options. It is pretty far from straight forward like you imply. If it were that easy I would have left Avid a long time ago. And there are a lot of us that feel this way.

Return to “u-he”