BWS 3.3.7 available

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tshear23 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:24 pm My SoundToys stuff won't load up in 3.3.7. Just kind of eternally scans them.
Which one in particular? I tried 6-7 of them and all load fine (Win10).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Sliders/knobs are not working in keylab mk ii anymore (mixer mode)!

So we are complaining about bug fixes now? Why is this a problem? You don't have to update, you know. But for those who are hitting these bugs, I'm sure they are grateful that Bitwig does not do the typical crap that some other companies do and defer such bug fixes to a paid upgrade.

teilo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 pm So we are complaining about bug fixes now? Why is this a problem? You don't have to update, you know. But for those who are hitting these bugs, I'm sure they are grateful that Bitwig does not do the typical crap that some other companies do and defer such bug fixes to a paid upgrade.
Good advice! Why reporting back the bugs here (or "complaining") ?! Just shut up and use a previous version.
I won't complain again! Sorry!

teilo wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:40 pm So we are complaining about bug fixes now? Why is this a problem? You don't have to update, you know. But for those who are hitting these bugs, I'm sure they are grateful that Bitwig does not do the typical crap that some other companies do and defer such bug fixes to a paid upgrade.
This is KVR = Komplain Very Regularly ... especially about free giveaways, bug fixes, and pretty much anything else possible.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

People are not complaining about big fixes, they are reporting that these releases seem to be introducing more new bugs than they are fixing and that perhaps they should be tested more before release (maybe a beta) to stop regressions.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ChrisDW wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm This is how you know we are at the end of Bitwig 3 and moving onto version 4. They always like to leave the last version as stable as possible for those who don't upgrade

The latest major release, Bitwig Studio 3.0, was released on 10 July 2019.

Alchemedia wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:28 am
ChrisDW wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:26 pm This is how you know we are at the end of Bitwig 3 and moving onto version 4. They always like to leave the last version as stable as possible for those who don't upgrade

The latest major release, Bitwig Studio 3.0, was released on 10 July 2019.
The way BitWig works, 3.3 was the latest 'major' version as you would have had to pay for it if you didn't have an active upgrade plan, no difference in price to the V3 or V2 update.

Bitwig 'say' they are all just incremental upgrades and are released 'when they are ready' and not held back for big releases.... hence the upgrade plan. I am not saying that is true, just that that is what they say! :ud:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Downside of the upgrade plan: no garantee on a stable (major) version when the one year contract dissolves.

excuse me please wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am Downside of the upgrade plan: no garantee on a stable (major) version when the one year contract dissolves.
To be fair, I have had the same issue with Cubase and others that 'move on' to the next version and stop supporting older versions for bug fixes, forcing you to pay for the latest version to get fixes or advertised features working...its not unique to the upgrade plan.

Personally I am ambivalent about the 'upgrade plan', although I suspect it did more harm than good to Bitwig based on misinformation and poor marketing. They should have just called it an 'upgrade to latest version' (with 1 years free updates included). You can of course just treat it as any other paid upgrade (with 1 years free updates after that) but the poor marketing and misinformation has really confused what it is and what people can expect...its been 6 months without an update, so if you bought the 'plan' to get 'rapid fire' updates you may feel a little let down.

billcarroll wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:52 pm
This is KVR = Komplain Very Regularly ... especially about free giveaways, bug fixes, and pretty much anything else possible.
:tu: :D :D :D :clap:
Made my day
Nice weekend @all
RME Babyface Pro / Bitwig / Adam A7X / Elektron AR MKII / Novation Peak / Akai Force / Eurorack

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 am
excuse me please wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:20 am Downside of the upgrade plan: no garantee on a stable (major) version when the one year contract dissolves.
To be fair, I have had the same issue with Cubase and others that 'move on' to the next version and stop supporting older versions for bug fixes, forcing you to pay for the latest version to get fixes or advertised features working...its not unique to the upgrade plan.

Personally I am ambivalent about the 'upgrade plan', although I suspect it did more harm than good to Bitwig based on misinformation. They should have just called it an 'upgrade to latest version with 1 years free updates included' the marketing was very poor initially and the 'upgrade plan' was easily confused with subscription.

You can of course just treat it as any other paid upgrade (with 1 years free updates after that) but the poor marketing and misinformation has really confused what it is and what people can expect...
Well, I'm not a CEO, but I assume one of the survival mechanisms of a company is based on a steady cashflow. Rather going somewhat up each other year. Simple: the company wants customer X to upgrade to accomplish this. This is where the plan failed, apparently.

The company has to offer garantees to keep the upgraders of their product(-s) willing and happy. The point is: when the customer gets not what they expected from a major update, it will do that company harm. NB that's why they switched from version updates to a subscription based on a time limit. Because their original business plan (delivering the major updates as expected) failed. Let there be no mistake about it.

But the main business dilemma stays unsolved: how to generate a stable income? That is: not affected by fluctuations too much. That is: not affected by fads and trends too much (distraction).

Of course there are solutions, but hey.. I'm still not a CEO, why should I do their job without being paid for it? However, a child could figure out that if there's an actual major update (no matter what they call it) each two years, then the upgrade plan would work better when the subscription also is about two years. Lol speaking of business planning (strategy)...

Because that way the customer at least has a sense of what to expect, and what not, in the long run (whether they are happy, or not, is point two, of course). So they have a better insight of when and why to upgrade, I suppose. In the other words: the more a company delivers by matter of expectation as it comes to their upgrade plan (supposition): the more garantee that company will create for itself, regarded to a steady (upwards going) income (cashflow) in the long run.

excuse me please wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:12 am But the main business dilemma stays unsolved: how to generate a stable income? That is: not affected by fluctuations too much. That is: not affected by fads and trends too much (distraction).
Which is why so many companies now offer 'real' subscription based access...monthly fee's are the Holy Grail and increase the book value of companies based on forward projections. Most will start of by offering 'both' options, but eventually it is likely will just be subscription for many (possibly amalgamated) companies products. This year I think you will see many more of the major players (such as NI) going subscription based...its the future for companies who want to generate a stable income, 2 years a long time to wat for a cash hit, most businesses don't have the cashflow to run for more than 6 months without significant new income from sales or investors!

I also think most companies spend most of their time acquiring new customers rather than worrying about their existing customer base. Sure, upgrades are a bonus, but the bigger the 'customer' pool, the more the upgrade cycle is worth. New customers can be easier to entice/market to than upgraders and pay a lot more than upgrader for the product, so it's 2 bites of that particular low hanging fruit...

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:25 am
excuse me please wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:12 am But the main business dilemma stays unsolved: how to generate a stable income? That is: not affected by fluctuations too much. That is: not affected by fads and trends too much (distraction).
Which is why so many companies now offer 'real' subscription based access...monthly fee's are the Holy Grail and increase the book value of companies based on forward projections. Most will start of by offering 'both' options, but eventually it is likely will just be subscription for many (possibly amalgamated) companies products. This year I think you will see many more of the major players (such as NI) going subscription based...its the future for companies who want to generate a stable income, 2 years a long time to wat for a cash hit, most businesses don't have the cashflow to run for more than 6 months without significant new income from sales or investors!

I also think most companies spend most of their time acquiring new customers rather than worrying about their existing customer base. Sure, upgrades are a bonus, but the bigger the 'customer' pool, the more the upgrade cycle is worth. New customers can be easier to entice/market to than upgraders and pay a lot more than upgrader for the product, so it's 2 bites of that particular low hanging fruit...
Of course. If a company does not manage to develop a loyal userbase, then they go opportunistic with their policies. Offer freebies, cool looking add-ons, subs, discounts, "rewards for your loyalty against all odds", etc. Which are not really part of the actual development of the product itself. But that way a company keeps on running behind the facts in the long run when it comes to the development of their actual package. No matter what.

They have to make sure each time people will fall for the same marketing trick in the long run. By matter of compensation; how to attract enough new customers at each upgrade so that the "why-I-lefters" are in the minority. Each upgrade again, look Woody..

At least, if that company wants a stable income in the long run :clown:

SLiC wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:27 am

Personally I am ambivalent about the 'upgrade plan', although I suspect it did more harm than good to Bitwig based on misinformation and poor marketing. They should have just called it an 'upgrade to latest version' (with 1 years free updates included). You can of course just treat it as any other paid upgrade (with 1 years free updates after that) but the poor marketing and misinformation has really confused what it is and what people can expect...its been 6 months without an update, so if you bought the 'plan' to get 'rapid fire' updates you may feel a little let down.
There is no 'perfect' model. As long as Bitwig does not become actual subscription, I don't really care about the pricing model used. If Bitwig had instituted the exact same model, but the price was $40 a year, basically nobody would have complained. It all comes down to money.

Return to “Bitwig”