Finally the very good news from Steinberg!!!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Artist 13 Cubase Elements 13 Cubase Pro 13

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:45 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:38 pm Well, I might as well wait for the next sale then. I don't like the idea of buying a dongle that they know will become obsolete. That just doesn't make sense.

If by miracle, they update their plan before May 2nd I'll buy in, but I'm guessing that won't happen since there will be lots of angry new users that were just forced to buy the dongle.
I'm pretty sure the dongle won't be a big problem, when you purchase a product which costs - 582 € for Cubase Pro; 502 € for Wavelab Pro; or 1.000 € for Nuendo. If it then happens that the authorizations switches to a non-dongle solution, your biggest issue will be a piece of plastic in the wastebin.

And, if you buy one of the upgrades which are on sale ATM, then (most likely) you already have a dongle.
Nope, no current dongle. I have one of the lite or le versions or whatever, but now that you mention it, I'm not liking the price for the upgrade frmo LE to Full.

I used to have the dongle when I had Wavelab, but I sold that with Wavelab.

And as much as I understand that $30 pales in comparison to the full price, I have no interest in paying more than I have to. It's a dumb idea especially when you're aware it will be obsolete in the near future.

I'm in no rush either. I work primarily out of Live and Logic, but I like Cubase more for mixing. Its nothing urgent but for the right price (and dongle free) I would switch.

elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:25 pm And as much as I understand that $30 pales in comparison to the full price, I have no interest in paying more than I have to. It's a dumb idea especially when you're aware it will be obsolete in the near future.
There is absolutely no way the dongle will become obsolete any time soon. Come this bright new dawn, its not just suddenly going to stop working... I'm sure there will be some kind of transition period that will run for several years.. i.e. you'll get your money's worth out of it, if you want to.

I think the whole idea going forward is that SB products won't rely on the dongle.
Last edited by thebutler on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

When Nexus 3 released Refx gave a free expansion if you surrendered your Nexus2 ELC license. Maybe from now on Steinberg could do something similar to compensate for the dongle cost.
For example VSL dropped the price of Vienna Key (Which is an ELC dongle) to 13€

thebutler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:25 pm And as much as I understand that $30 pales in comparison to the full price, I have no interest in paying more than I have to. It's a dumb idea especially when you're aware it will be obsolete in the near future.
There is absolutely no way the dongle will become obsolete any time soon. Come this bright new dawn, its not just suddenly going to stop working... I'm sure there will be some kind of transition period that will run for several years.. i.e. you'll get your money's worth out of it, if you want to.
That's what they said.

The upgrade discount came in perfect time for me! I upgraded because I already have a dongle, so why the wait?

If I don’t have already a dongle, then maybe I would wait till the new system been clarified. But maybe I would just buy a dongle and a license of Pro or Artist because I care what is current and obvious rather than ambiguous tomorrow.

Anyway, if they adopt the software of e-license, I will not change from the dongle especially if it’s one computer per license. If it is like Studio One system, then I’ll gladly change into it :) So it’s still depends on the kind of protection. “Software protection” doesn’t mean it would be good (Reason’s and Waves are examples). But that’s me, others might have a different opinion.

chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 pm That's what they said.
Darn.! It wasn't original thought..! I even remember questioning myself as I was writing that. Oh well... It was Ego, always wanting attention/stroking... Promise I'll do better. :D

Thank you.
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

I'm always down for a dongle-less solution (unless they somehow manage to make it even worse than a dongle 🙄)
Been seriously thinking about buying Wavelab Pro for a while now, but haven't yet committed and bought the dongle. I think I might make myself wait a bit longer now knowing this...

thebutler wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:07 am
chk071 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:56 pm That's what they said.
Darn.! It wasn't original thought..! I even remember questioning myself as I was writing that. Oh well... It was Ego, always wanting attention/stroking... Promise I'll do better. :D

Thank you.
Don't quote me when it won't happen. I'm just repeating what I read on Steinberg forums from a rep... plans change, if there's something they didn't consider, or something else happens. I think it's pretty safe to say that there will be some kind of transition though.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 am 'the new environment'

sounds not even slightly ominous.
well there isn't even a picture of it yet so hold your judgement.

On the latest hang out Greg said months, so maybe it will be ready by the end of this year.

frmbg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am

Because its only ominous if there's a picture?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am
frmbg wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:20 am

Because its only ominous if there's a picture?
It's not like anyone has reactions after reading words. That never happens.

thebutler wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 pm

I think the whole idea going forward is that SB products won't rely on the dongle.
I think we have different ideas of what purpose a dongle would have after it's not needed and more importantly, not wanted.

Hopefully Steinberg and other companies will stop wasting user's time and energy bills. The majority of the DAWs are so poorly coded, some even put code on slow dongles to make apps even slower and waste even more energy. I remember when cubase went the dongle way, many legit users used cracked versions because they were twice as fast as the official release.

How come Reaper and FLStudio can run so fast and handle so many live plugins when other daws struggle to play even half of that. I also use Adobe and damn is so poorly coded and slow compared to the competition. If you look at Resolve, it blows Premiere out of the water on features and performance. Also the gaming and mobile industry are extremely wasteful with resources. Most of the users don't know that, but they definitely should.

If you look at the demo scene (video below), they manage to make an entire movie in just 64Kilobits. Thats less than a low resolution picture. So its absolutely possible, only if the big devs care enough about it.

We live in the AI era, we have more coders and tools than ever, so i think code optimization should be mandatory by law just like automobile and other industry emissions. Its basically the same thing, only its not the end user who damages the environment, but the electricity company because of careless devs.

This video is generated by only 64k of code. Check the description for details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY
Last edited by Lerian on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lerian wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:48 pm Hopefully Steinberg and other companies will stop wasting user's time and energy bills.
I think you're overestimating the energy consumption a tad. :ud:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”