Your opinion about Zebra 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Empyrean (U-he Zebra 2 Presets) Zebra

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:40 pmOmnisynth.
Ouch... I first thought this was a typo and was gonna make a joke about it... gotta check out the threads with some pop corn.

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm
DJErmac wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:06 pm Well... do you hear a lot of synth usage in folk music ?... :shrug:
I could name drop some very popular folk music people who bought our stuff :clown:
I always thought of Cat Stevens as folksy but my favorite tune is 'C 79'

Doesn't Seven Hundred Elves by Steeleye Span feature a moog?

I know. I'm old
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm Some people do sound a tad ignorant though, the way they brush a well thought out design off as "too complicated".
But sometimes "too complicated" means not "too complicated to learn" but "too many steps to get the desired result".

I think there was a synth designed with "less is more" paradigm in mind, whose name starts with H. That's a more preferable approach to me, and probably to many other people.

Idk, I'm spoiled by your other offerings, whenever I try to make some use of Zebra I end up being distracted by Hive or Bazille or Repro - they just do the job much faster.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

problem with the "trance kiddies" isn't so much that they are dumb, it's all the mdma and speed means they have very short attention spans

[insert gif]

so zebra is only good for IDM?

AnX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:58 pm so zebra is only good for IDM?
unless you put a horn on his head, then he's a unizeb
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

i think some of that lot have even shorter attention spans, hence cramming a thousand snare hits in to a second and weird shit like that.
it's the weed. and beard stroking.

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:01 pm
do you know of unikitty?

:o
awesome!
everything is...

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:48 pm
Urs wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:03 pm
recursive one wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:48 pmOn the other hand, I often see allegations that people who don't like Zebra, aren't inspired by the sound, think it's too complicated, think it doens't fit their preferred genres of worklow habits etc, are just too dumb to master it or have wrong tastes in synths or music.
Hehehe, you make it sound as if that was a bad thing. But I'm sure I've read from people who weren't "inspired" by Zebra a few dozen times, likewise any of the other points. Sure, people rarely describe themselves as "too dumb", but I'm sure I've even experienced that. Some people do sound a tad ignorant though, the way they brush a well thought out design off as "too complicated".
Indeed they do. For example, some people who might not quite understand the subtlety of what a phrase like "too complicated" can mean contextually, or the difference between "well thought out" and "good."

What people often mean by "too complicated" is "unnecessarily complicated for the task that needs to be performed." If I need to compute the area of a picture frame and someone says that I should use calculus then I might reply "naw, too complicated." I don't mean that calculus is too complicated, I mean that it's unnecessarily complicated for the task at hand. Granted, that's not really a difficult integration, but it's completely unnecessary and will involve, at minimum, a few additional pencil strokes over just taking the product of the length and width.

So, is the design of zebra "unnecessarily complicated?" Perhaps. I think that part of the problem comes from the difficulty of constraining semi-modular synths to a narrow portal and how the choices that result can limit rapid interaction with the synth. Part of the problem could also come, however, from your "well thought out" choices and that people think that other vendors make better choices. Hence, "too complicated" means "more complicated as compared to something else that I like better."

"Well thought out" doesn't necessarily mean "good." Of course here "good" must be quantified in some way. However, for the end user, it does not. Good is summed up by their choice to purchase or not to purchase and it is an opinion that, like it or not, you must, in aggregate, accept.

Finally, I think that all of this is a bad look. Telling your potential customers that they are "vile", I believe that's the word that you used, or "dumb" is the definition of unnecessary and counterproductive. You have an opportunity in threads like this. You can read what people say, aggregate that, and decide for yourself if any of those ideas could be used to create more customers. You are not your customer so to equivocate your posts to theirs is erroneous on its face. In essence, I don't believe that you are changing people's minds by chortling at opinions in a discussion thread about your product.
Well, thing is, a vile comment is a vile comment. Pointing that out does not equal calling potential customers vile. There has to be a lot more than one comment before I'd call a person vile :lol:

A well thought out concept is a well thought out concept - but it doesn't mean it's the right concept for everyone. And surely, a concept like Zebra is inherently "complicated". It is however not all that complicated for what it does, thanks to its very well thought out concept. Yet again, if "for what it does" is not what someone needs, then surely it's too complicated for what they want to do.

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:04 pm
do you know of unikitty?

awesome!
everything is...
sounds like a horny pussy
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:10 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:04 pm
do you know of unikitty?

awesome!
everything is...
sounds like a horny pussy
oh my :o
you'll feel so wrong when you poogle now!

saying that, i do have a thing for lucy "wildstyle" :oops:

Return to “Instruments”