Which is more useful, single or multi core performance.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kjhg
Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pictus wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:39 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:13 pm I had heard that AMD was good, but I worry about compatibility. Like, I know Massive X requires a specific chip feature. Am I wrong to worry about this?
AMD is the TOP dog now, the only compatibility problem you can have is with UAD stuff...
I do not know what works or not, but you may check at UAD forum/support and
https://gearspace.com/board/music-compu ... ad-12.html
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:10 pm I’m not sure. I’ve always been a bit timid about building my own computer. Not the actual building part, but I worry about choosing the right components. I’d do it if someone said, “buy x, y and z, then put it together.” I’d probably be better off just buying the best off-the-shelf thing in my budget. Not really sure.
I did that in viewtopic.php?p=8081813#p8081813
I put together a 3950x system a year ago February and it worked with UAD Duo and Quad cards. It required a BIOS update but the older UAD-2 cards were working fine on that machine.

jancivil wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:39 pm I think if the goal is something on the order of VCV Rack, it hammers on one core so clock speed is crucial and cores means nothing. The way I work uses cores and distributes, even is part of the setup, 'threads (not the same as cores of course, but related) per instance' in VEP. Don't know if a higher clock speed would benefit or not, that was a pricing choice and there wasn't that much difference for the mo' money.
Yeah, I think it varies from plugin to plugin, plus different DAWs handle multi-core differently too. I definitely know that plugins like Expressive-e’s Noisy go from unusable to OK when you turn on the multi core. Same with RePro.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

codec_spurt wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 pm I'm wanting to do a monster budget build soon. Don't feel like dropping 4K on a rig. But what can I do with 1K? Is it possible?
Using parts of the old PC will help keep the cost down...
There is always more cost effective options, but if they meet the
requirements...
Thanks for your help Pictus, your posts are always very informative!
You are welcome!

nm,.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”