What drives you crazy in Bitwig?

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AS this is the "what drives you crazy about biwtwig"...

One of the things that bugs the hell out of me is:

Settings which should be application globals eg. Turn a setting on/off once and next time you open BitWig it should still be in the same state you left it it (on/off).

For some magical reason they either choose to forget these settings completely or store them with the track data... I just don't get that, every other piece of software on install you configure and off you go and if you want to change the settings go for it.

If you want to save program settings with the files it produces then you should give the option, "would you like to load bitwig settings stored in file?"
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:25 pm AS this is the "what drives you crazy about biwtwig"...

Settings which should be application globals eg. Turn a setting on/off once and next time you open BitWig it should still be in the same state you left it it (on/off).

For some magical reason they either choose to forget these settings completely or store them with the track data... I just don't get that, every other piece of software on install you configure and off you go and if you want to change the settings go for it.

If you want to save program settings with the files it produces then you should give the option, "would you like to load bitwig settings stored in file?"
Settings in Settings are global.

Settings in project are local to the ...Project. that's nothing surprising.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Josephhh wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:44 pm
dupont wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:36 pm
xbitz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm ^^^ there was a tutorial maybe that was it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUo98r9wpw4
Thanks for the link.
I watched the vid and spent 2 hours with grid.
I was even not abble to assign velocity module to volume : where must I connect that fu..ing wire ??? :o
All I get is a 80s comodore 64 chip tune !
that's frustrating and annoying.
This is poorly designed and not logical worflow.
I don't want to use a plugin when a hi scool degree in math is needed to understand how it works, it kills creatuvity and the make it simple phylosophie.
this experience disgusted me with Bitwig.
I'll stay away from Bitwig for a while and go back to logic, made for musicians not a DAW made for engineers. :x
Sorry dude/dudette but that got a laugh out of me.

Cheers :tu:
I was curious about this chiptune so tried to create a trance-pad (at least a top layer) voilà :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9JBUfxJpLM
not totally useless and was fun
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

dupont wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:36 pm
xbitz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:00 pm ^^^ there was a tutorial maybe that was it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUo98r9wpw4
Thanks for the link.
I watched the vid and spent 2 hours with grid.
I was even not abble to assign velocity module to volume : where must I connect that fu..ing wire ??? :o
All I get is a 80s comodore 64 chip tune !
that's frustrating and annoying.
This is poorly designed and not logical worflow.
I don't want to use a plugin when a hi scool degree in math is needed to understand how it works, it kills creatuvity and the make it simple phylosophie.
this experience disgusted me with Bitwig.
I'll stay away from Bitwig for a while and go back to logic, made for musicians not a DAW made for engineers. :x
You are not used to modular... so it takes a little time to learn a few modular concepts.

No math degree is needed to use the Grid (unless you get deep in the water). It is really quite easy. The Grid is the easiest modular environment I have used... by far! It is very well designed. I get lots of stuff done as fast as regular fixed architecture synths.

The easiest way to modulate level via velocity: Go to Level category, and drag in the Velo Mult module and put it before the Audio Out (or on any specific signal if that is what you want). Adjust the sensitivity knob (0-100) to taste. Done

Me, I often use velocity for various parameters, so I have a Velocity In module connected to a Mod Out module. I also have a Gain - Vol (Level) before the Audio Out for modulating overall Level. I have those modules (along with Pressure and Timbre) in my default Grid preset. I have only to highlight the (Velo ->) Mod Out arrow and I can then modulate multiple parameters in seconds by velocity (just like regular modulators).

I'm a musician, not an engineer. I'm sure if we sat down together in person for one afternoon, you would be able to make lots of basic but effective synth stuff with ease in the Grid.

antic604 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:36 pm
MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:25 pm AS this is the "what drives you crazy about biwtwig"...

Settings in Settings are global.

Plus you can set project settings how you want then save that as your default template.

antic604 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:36 pm Settings in Settings are global.

That's obvious... I guess you didn't get my point... I'm still in programmer mode, with working the weekend and all.

Mansplaining time...

1. Why would the ruler time settings be part of the song file? and not a global? In my opinion this should not be a setting in the song file but if it is to be, then the option to load song bitwig config should be asked on load.

2. Why would repeat not be an option in settings and not a software global? You may have reasons for this others may do to, but I don't see it. And then again why not an option to load those settings or not, on file load?

As a programmer I don't see why anything would be in the file save that is not song related and not software configuration (unless scripts or something). That is why I stated an option to load the settings on load would be a nice option. Seems logical to me...

Song files, in my opinion, should be json or xml data if they were to add settings to it, it should be extremely easy to do. Not sure if you can read json or xml...

Code: Select all

{
"song": {
"filename": "I'mThe****YouMan.wigbig",
"layers": [
     {"name": "Kontakt", "type": "vst", "someSetting1": "bla"},     
     {"name": "serum", "type": "vst", "someSetting1": "bla"},
     {"name": "beat loop 1", "type": "sample", "src": "m:\samples\xxx.wav"},
]
},
"bitwigSettings": {
   "repeatOnByDefault": true,
   "rulersAndExportUseNormalTimes": true
}
}
But song data should be in there too, notation piano roll data, all scene piano roll data, timings, all pressures, envelope data should be in the json/xml etc... Extremely simple to do... Would also make it portable/convertible and editable... Damaged files would also be partially salvageable depending on how bad the corruption is. But I diverging off my main point with all this...

I don't see why anything that doesn't affect sound should be in the file save, and if it is going to be, then I see no reason why we shouldn't be asked to load those settings on load which would change bitwigs current global settings.

Some things belong in the files programs save, some things do not..
EG. Why doesn't docx (MS Word document or OTF formats) save the configuration of their software in their save files? Why doesn't Unreal Engine 4? Why doesn't VSCode? Why doesn't Adobe Photoshop?

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:53 pm
That's obvious... I guess you didn't get my point... I'm still in programmer mode, with working the weekend and all.

Mansplaining time...

1. Why would the ruler time settings be part of the song file? and not a global? In my opinion this should not be a setting in the song file but if it is to be, then the option to load song bitwig config should be asked on load.
Enable the time ruler and save that as your default template, then set new project to be default template, then the ruler will be there for every new project.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm Enable the time ruler and save that as your default template, then set new project to be default template, then the ruler will be there for every new project.
Interesting alternative... :tu:

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:48 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:40 pm Enable the time ruler and save that as your default template, then set new project to be default template, then the ruler will be there for every new project.
Interesting alternative... :tu:
Which I gave you a week ago, but you ignored...

viewtopic.php?p=8079174#p8079174
Music tech enthusiast

antic604 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 pm Which I gave you a week ago, but you ignored...
I don't see it as a solution to what I detail but it is an alternative, blender and a few other applications do it... But they don't ignore what I detailed...

As for you giving me that a week ago, unless your talked to me directly or emailed me, very unlikely I would remember if it was your screen name or Dave from down the street that gave me that piece of advice... I suck at remember names, real or screen...

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:23 pm
antic604 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:58 pm Which I gave you a week ago, but you ignored...
I don't see it as a solution to what I detail but it is an alternative, blender and a few other applications do it... But they don't ignore what I detailed...

As for you giving me that a week ago, unless your talked to me directly or emailed me, very unlikely I would remember if it was your screen name or Dave from down the street that gave me that piece of advice... I suck at remember names, real or screen... No offence, I was born with a fish's memory for peoples names... See finding nemo...

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 am Cubase - UI is a shit show, don't want to waste my time with it, I would rather learn to program cobol and quantum mathematics at the same time...
Ouch, that's harsh! And not sure it's completely fair.

Cubase is though, the complete opposite to Bitwig.

Arrangement first, no scenes.

And for the project/mixer setup, it's also the opposite. In Bitwig I love that I can create tracks, then group them, add fx into the group etc as I go. In Cubase it's better that you know the structure you are aiming for from the start. But, if you have made a few tracks and know what you want you can start with a template perfectly set up with groups and fx busses.

Bitwig is more freeing - but I think Cubase still has the edge for mixing if you set it up right.

As for you giving me that a week ago, unless your talked to me directly or emailed me, very unlikely I would remember if it was your screen name or Dave from down the street that gave me that piece of advice... I suck at remember names, real or screen...
I think you might have meant, "Oh, thanks Dude. I guess I must have missed that!". :hihi:

_leras wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:32 pm

I think you might have meant, "Oh, thanks Dude. I guess I must have missed that!". :hihi:

This reminds me of so many threads in so many forums...
Don't know something... Got a suggestion... It's Konan's way or the high way... But there are some lovely people too, who are very helpful and actually consider your suggestions/ideas for a better future... :tu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHoHaAYHq8

MegaPixel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:26 pm Image
I'm flattered :oops: :hug:
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Bitwig”