FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

Download worked under Safari, yesterday evening. Deleting a couple of obvious files, like the application and preferences, wound up exploding into all kind of files in the trash, very weird.

I don't reckon I have 2500 bucks in it, but that folder is 250GB in size. So I'm locked down as per OS, which is not a great tragedy but if Big Sur is performing as it's widely reported, I could use that edge.
I had a really bad day yesterday, I hated all of the developers, & I still don't have a sure culprit.
All my mono outs were garbage, out of the blue (no sound but a faint hint of the drum competing with noise). I mean I'd closed out the night before, slept, got up/made coffee, relaunch and it's now kaput.
It's more likely to be VE Pro than it is BFD3, because the fix was reassign outs 7-8, where they all live, to... probably anything else. But it put in stark relief that I'm the only person in the world who cares if it works in VE Pro.

Hey Drew, lovely new website. :tu:

(s. news on the KvR front-page, too)

I already tried the transition process, and my packs now show up in the BFD / InMusic site. The only thing not working is the "free pack" for the transition. When I click on BFD, it says I can choose from four free packs or so, and when clicking the link, I end up on a page where I cannot do anything. Maybe worth checking - maybe it's me, but I tried using two different browsers.
Last edited by tq on Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'll email the VE Pro guys and try and get an NFR so I can see what it's like here. I've got a Macbook Pro running Big Sur, and an AMD 5950X running Windows 10.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

tq wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm Hey Drew, lovely new website. :tu: I already tried the transition process, and my packs now show up in the BFD / InMusic site. The only thing not working is the "free pack" for the transition. When I click on BFD, it says I can choose from four free packs or so, and when clicking the link, I end up on a page where I cannot do anything. Maybe worth checking - maybe it's me, but I tried using two different browsers.
Oh apologies if it wasn't clear; I am told that the free pack will be setup from a separate email that will go out later. Don't worry, you will get one! Choice of 4 if I understand correctly. If you've (or anyone!) have already got all 4, let me know and I'm sure we can figure something out for you.

We're just pressing go on a lot of the systems now, I'll make a proper post in a bit.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Sure, no worries here! Good to see this making progress, love my BFD! :-)

Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:23 pm
tq wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:21 pm Hey Drew, lovely new website.
[]
I have no idea of any new website. Nothing in the thread about it. I don't know what 'KVR front page' even is, but the only things I get in a search are quite old, not news. If it's simply kvr audio dot com, there is no obvious new anything BFD3 there.
Google BFD3 and inMusic, I get a lot of the announcement April 21 2020 and no joy.
Definitely no confidence if they're going to leave it all up to one coder like this.
This is a very unhappy situation.

thanks tq
Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 pm I'll email the VE Pro guys and try and get an NFR so I can see what it's like here. I've got a Macbook Pro running Big Sur, and an AMD 5950X running Windows 10.
Thank you. I'm on the 16,1 16" MBP. There's a 30 day unrestricted trial for VEP so you don't have to contact anyone.

The situation with automation (nothing to do with yesterday's SNAFU) is a bit involved, because VE Pro now deals with exact names of parameters so BFD3 is conveying its auto map at the time to it, and it in turn shows that to Cubase.
(If the DAW host is not Cubase, I have no idea what happens, if other DAWs see the exact names in one list per instance or what.). You're my only support contact now so I'm going to explain it. The factory automap is problematic to override, which is what had to be fixed a few years ago.
(IE/EG: Slot names are hardwired. Kick is slot 1; Snare is 2; Hat is 3. I can always live with that, no es problemas. Floor Tom is 4. Before I made someone at ROLI fix it, if you instantiated slot 4 otherwise, assigning host auto to gain for slot 4 deleted slot 3's. Ok, now that was sorted.)
but, and, so: the slot names are hardwired. So, while now you can automate all the slots' gain, unless you save a custom automap, it's going to keep the name Floor Tom. For some reason the new custom map has to be reconnected to and handled carefully: in VE Pro if I use a different preset in BFD3 than I was doing and come back, the mapping is confused.
Relaunching a project tends (strongly) to mean the map is confused; unless I am sure the VEP project is saved with a saved new (overwritten, whatever) automap. And the new launch never has VE Pro seeing all my slot names, it is seeing things from the default, Cymbal 1, Percussion et al. There is a workaround: delete a parameter and relearn it; now VE Pro has all the names. But once I use a different map and come back I have some work to do to get back to where I was, on top of that workaround.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm
Amberience wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
Judging by some of the user research I've done over the years, not a lot of people use the mixer for actual processing. They mainly use it for routing. So I think there are probably questions about how relevant it would be to load plugins into BFD3; I'm definitely all ears on the issue though!! Anyone else feel like they wanna kick me in the face for even daring to suggest it shouldn't be a priority? :dog:
With all of these drum plugins (e.g., BFD, SD, SSD) I only use the mixer for routing and sometimes setting levels internally. I would not want to deal with a plugin that acts as a host, scans plugins, more 3rd party error messages, crashes, and blacklists, etc. No thanks, just keep it simple, let the plugin be the plugin and let the DAW be the host.
This! Don't do 3rd party plugins, great drum sound and friendly interface is all we need.

So there's this tension between a custom map and the default. Making the default map into a custom map is problematic (and tedious, editing the xml). There may be a way to make a default map that doesn't screw new mappings up like that, but I haven't sussed it. My default map is custom, and it's a better situation for it but it's not fully sorted.

So no email about the new website - went up shortly after I suggested it? lol

https://www.bfddrums.com/

:roll:
Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 10.11.54 AM.jpg
:roll: :dog: :help:
:roll:
' :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Did you transfer your FXPansion stuff as explained in the information on the site and the mail they sent? You have to log in to your FXPansion account and then press a magic button. Will transfer everything from FXPansion to InMusic. Worked for me, at least. I guess the page you used here is just for adding physical products with barcode stickers, not BFD serials.

Also, they sent out a mail just a few minutes ago.

Maybe they meant "code on the box of cereal"? nom nom nom!

tq wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm Did you transfer your FXPansion stuff as explained in the information on the site and the mail they sent?
What email? I have no emails regarding this whatsoever, other than the confirm your account link after I made it.
Last edited by jancivil on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”