v15J beta - set to default behaviour has changed

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Previously, right clicking a control would reset it to the default. Now it opens a sub-menu with various features, setting to default is in a sub-menu of this sub-menu. You can also reset to default by holding CTRL (on PC) and right clicking.

I'm curious to know what others think of this new behaviour.

While the new sub-menu is pretty cool, I would rarely use it, but I reset controls to the default ALL the time... so this is a step back for me personally. I was going to pass this feedback on to Vojtech, but thought I'd start up a conversation here as that's probably more useful to them to see what more people think.

[don't mind me]
Last edited by Held on Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

I agree with you. This change is really bad. Especially since REAPER opens its own menu first and I have to select something to close it and then the Melda menu opens.

I would really like to get the 'i' behavior back.

Are you going to email Vojtech? Who knows when he drops by here again. Maybe not even before the release.

Right-click often opens a context menu (it's the standard advice in Reaper). So MeldaProduction has adopted that too.

Cmd/Ctrl+right-click resets the parameter to its default value. As does the first choice in the menu.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

I would love to see right-click opening the context menu that is now opened with double click (plus the new buttons if necessary) and then double click resetting to default. Multiple people have asked for this because that's the behavior of most DAWs and plugins.

Now we have two context menus on both mouse buttons. Why not combine them?

I'm a Reaper user. For me, resetting a setting for Reaper controls is done with a double click. If we're aiming for consistency, I'd advocate for the same in Melda.

Regardless of what is used, I certainly don't think ctrl-right-clicking feels right for something that you use so often. I'll probably get used to it, but it feels pretty obtuse to me.

FWIW, I'd vote for the original (Melda right-click = default setting) - I use that all the time as well. What's funny is that I was always wishing other plugins used this same behavior as a "standard". The ctrl-click or double-clicking to enable you to enter a 0 (default value) has always been annoying to me since I could just right-click to do it in Melda.

However, either way it's done is just a matter of getting used to again...

I prefer the old way too. Maybe CTRL and right click for the menu?
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

BIdh9kyXz7.gif
Wee little bug with the menu too :hihi:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

WLXb5x2GhM.gif
Not necessarily a bug, but definitely an unexpected behavior
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Setup.
Now goes by Eurydice(Izzy) - she/her :hug:

vectorwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:57 am While the new sub-menu is pretty cool, I would rarely use it, but I reset controls to the default ALL the time... so this is a step back for me personally.
I totally agree; same situation here.

While I guess that the idea might be to stick more to common plugin usage, right? Since most plugins use Ctrl+Click to default the value (regardless that exactly this does not work on my end; already reported it to Vojtech, hehe).
vectorwarrior wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:28 pm I'm a Reaper user. For me, resetting a setting for Reaper controls is done with a double click. If we're aiming for consistency, I'd advocate for the same in Melda.
Good point. I'd use this as well. While I would miss the option to be able to single-click on the value to enter it, though. Not sure if this would stil be possible, if the double click behaviour was integrated ...
System: Win 10 64 bit / i9 9900K (8x 3.6 GHz) / 16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM / 1TB M.2 SSD + 2x 500 GB SSD / RME Babyface / Reaper

Tagirijus.de

Honestly I *really* hated the old behaviour (and maybe still hate the new behaviour) in melda plugins, because it is so different to the common standard, which is in the most DAWs / plugins of this world:

- LEFT MOUSE DOUBLE CLICK = RESET VALUE

So the world wants Vojtech to change this to:

- LEFT MOUSE DOUBLE CLICK = RESET VALUE (!!!!)
- right click, something non-popup-y, something useful
- Modifier + right click = context menu or so

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:10 am Honestly I *really* hated the old behaviour (and maybe still hate the new behaviour) in melda plugins, because it is so different to the common standard, which is in the most DAWs / plugins of this world:

- LEFT MOUSE DOUBLE CLICK = RESET VALUE

So the world wants Vojtech to change this to:

- LEFT MOUSE DOUBLE CLICK = RESET VALUE (!!!!)
- right click, something non-popup-y, something useful
- Modifier + right click = context menu or so
Agree, but I see that many users are now ... used... to the v14 behaviour.
So why not making it optional (a-la REAPER )?

- Mario

Yes the new behavior gets weirder and weirder.. I have actually made a FR thread a while back suggesting reset on double-left-click and input value on right-click: viewtopic.php?f=138&t=560854

Given the support of VST3 automation menu in the beta, I have thought again on this and my final suggestion which I posted towards the end of the above linked thread looks as follows:
Phazma wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:16 pmGiven that values for parameters can be typed in even by a !single! click onto the value itself, I dare to suggest that at some point the double-click on knob for typing a value could be deprecated and instead we get:

- Single left click on knob -> set parameter as 'last clicked'
- Single left click on value -> type in new value
- Double left click on knob/value -> reset to default value
- Single right click on knob/value -> VST3 automation menu
I would also have thought an option for either legacy behavior or above-suggested behavior is best, but Vojtech in my thread said that people complain about too many options so he probably won't give one..

RME uses double click to reset faders, fwiw. Like many of you, I use so many different programs with different, often unchangeable, defaults that I just get used to whatever. That's if I already liked the software overall enough to pay for it.

EDIT: I was using Melda yesterday and, ya, I've internalized right click as reset. Right click to open a menu is kind of standard, though. Maybe we should be looking at operating systems for defaults.

There seems to be two ways to look at it: 1. Keep long-time users happy. 2. Adopt industry standards. Perhaps, ideally, the solution would satisfy both but that might involve going back in time.

I'm relatively new to Melda so I offer this with sensitivity for you long-term users.
Last edited by Hexspa on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MeldaProduction”