Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:20 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:15 pm If I had a feature request then that you would be able to set 2D or 3D view as default for the wavetable oscillators. I always have to switch it to 2D every time I load an instance..
Just create a custom default preset with the 2D selected. I've already created several templates, 2 x Analog, 2 x Wavetables, etc etc.
Thanks for the tip, but, I tried that yesterday, but, doesn't seem to work. Set the wavetable display to 2D, then saved the preset, opened it up later in the evening, and, it gave me the 3D view again.

I think it's really something which should be in the general settings of the plugin.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:54 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:48 am If the VA section had better sound quality were it'd be my favorite of the supersynths (massive x, serum, avenger, etc).
Huh? Do you know better than a company that has spent a couple of decades emulating VA synths?

Maybe invest in some new monitors... :wink:
This comment makes no sense. Define "knowing better" and explain what exactly me "knowing better" has to do with whether or not the the VA section of Pigments sounds good. From where I'm sitting this comment looks like nothing more than an appeal to authority fallacy.

I have Dynaudio monitors. They are fine.

Vortifex wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:05 am
Igro wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:41 am Is it me or v3 CPU usage is much higher than in v2? My i7 laptop is struggling...
I feel that the quality of the synth has been improved comparing to v2, if that is the case.
Yeah, CPU definitely is higher for me. It's probably the most CPU hungry synth I have now.
kind of +1
but i think it's mostly the new harmonic engine that's more cpu hungry

defiitely a new trend (the cpu hunger that is) in my arsenal:
knifonium and plasmonic are also quite demanding

p.s.:
if arturia is listening here:
pigments is still a complete mess in hostingAU (mac platform)
not as bad as v2(the gui seems to work) but still soundwise chaos deluxe

Igro wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:41 am Is it me or v3 CPU usage is much higher than in v2? My i7 laptop (but 5 years old) is struggling...
I feel that the quality of the synth has been improved comparing to v2, if that is the case.
I dont think I noticed CPU usage spike.. but how do you test? How do you launch V2 after you upgrade to V3?
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:11 am Thanks for the tip, but, I tried that yesterday, but, doesn't seem to work. Set the wavetable display to 2D, then saved the preset, opened it up later in the evening, and, it gave me the 3D view again.

I think it's really something which should be in the general settings of the plugin.
I tried it yesterday and it worked but I think it has to do with whether the 2D view was manually selected. Try this: Load up Pigments to the "Ring My Bell" patch that loads by default at least here and change it to have 2 WT engines, select 2D for each engine and then load your WT template. Here my template loads and retains the 2D view. If I leave it in 3D view then loading the template leaves it in 3D view even though it was saved in 2D view. So it appears that View setting is retained but will be lost when opening a new instance.

If they're going to add an option to make the 2D view default then I'd request they add the option to disable the animation altogether.

It's really nothing more than eye candy anyway and the display really doesn't tell you anything especially for complex wavetables. Your ears are what tell how the wavetable sounds as it's being morphed and disabling the animations would save a few cycles. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

zzz00m wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:52 am
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:14 pm Thanks zzz00m
You are most welcome, Mr Scrubbing Monkeys!

I'm enjoying your presets for Fathom Pro! :tu:

I disagree with those that say they never use presets. Oh, the horror! I started my journey with synths in the mid 80's. I think presets are a roadmap to learning a synth. I like to tweak them as I learn. Without them, you only know what you already know, plus accidentally discover. By tearing a preset apart, you learn new things, like "how did they do that?".

I love the sound quality of Fathom, but the mod matrix is a bit out of my comfort zone. But I can see that you have mastered that. Well done! I think that Pigments is more my speed in that regard, as I can see what's happening with it, LOL!
Glad you liked em.

I am getting where I use presets more and more. I did a whole album where I programmed every freaking sound including all electronic drums....what a buzz kill. I will never do that again. I like programming synths but I also like making music. They exist better separately iMHO.

I think it is so cool how the different devs are evolving. Pigments looks like alot of fun.
Fathom is alot of fun and I really like the GUI but could use some more visual feedback.
Massive is awesome for visual feedback but getting a bit small to see.
I really enjoy Ana 2 at the moment even though there is virtually no visual feedback.
I think the guys and gals at Arturia have combined some of the best elements of the past 15 years and addressed them very nicely with this Synth. I am scared to demo it because I know I will like it and then have to buy it.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Hi!

I can’t find curve option for Envelopes’s release? Maybe I am missing something?

Bartone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm Hi!

I can’t find curve option for Envelopes’s release? Maybe I am missing something?
Maybe this ? Mouse over the symbol to the right of the Release knob.

Pigments 042321-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I wish Pigments 3 sounded warmer, more analog like, it has that very digital, icy, metallic sound that I'm not a fan of.

Muziksculp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm I wish Pigments 3 sounded warmer, more analog like, it has that very digital, icy, metallic sound that I'm not a fan of.
i think you can tweak it to make it sound any way you want to. i tried it yesterday a bit.. that analog engine is actually really really nice sounding.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

I also wonder why there has been criticism about the analog engine. Couldn't find anything which made it fall short in comparison with the other engines.

Didn't try to make any parcticularly warm sounds with it yet though. But, it didn't strike me as overly cold either. Although wavetable synths definitely tend to sound a bit like that, if alone for the sound of the wavetables itself.

BTW, maybe it's just me, but, the sound of the filters reminds me a bit of the Tone2 filters.
Last edited by chk071 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

telecode wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm I wish Pigments 3 sounded warmer, more analog like, it has that very digital, icy, metallic sound that I'm not a fan of.
i think you can tweak it to make it sound any way you want to. i tried it yesterday a bit.. that analog engine is actually really really nice sounding.
Ok. Thanks.

All of the presets have that cold-digital sound to them, I wish they warmed them up during the programming.

I just bought it. Heaven knows that I have never fancied Arturia softsynths. I was close not to download the demo when my first attempt was interupted by bad net connection. This took me by surprise. What a scope and what nice sound quality. I even find the VA (analog) section pretty usable and convincing. Never had such a crush on an Arturia synth before. Maybe because it is its own and does not try to be something else. The emulation concept usually set my expectations too high compared to their relative high prices. This was really a nice offer for 99 bucks, and I think I would have bought it for 199 bucks too. Damn...did I just write that? Didn't think I should ever see myself write that about an Arturia synth. Life is wonderful.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:37 pm I just bought it. Heaven knows that I have never fancied Arturia softsynths. I was close not to download the demo when my first attempt was interupted by bad net connection. This took me by surprise. What a scope and what nice sound quality. I even find the VA (analog) section pretty usable and convincing. Never had such a crush on an Arturia synth before. Maybe because it is its own and does not try to be something else.
This is 1:1 my impression of the synth. A real surprise.

Return to “Instruments”