Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Ah_Dziz wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:37 am I'm very much liking the harmonic osc. It reminds me of the zebra2 oscillators but weirder. The multiband compressor is great for taming the more bizzare shit that comes from severe granular silliness.
I have a similar opinion. I really didn't like the samples player and the granular engine. I'll absolutely ignore using this engine.

What I like is the rest. The VA, Wavetable and harmonic engines. I think I will use the VA engine mainly with the other two to give some uniqueness to the sounds.

I haven't delve into making my sounds yet, but I believe the easy workflow and the friendly GUI might make the tasks easier. Can it do aggressive sounds like Serum? I don't know, maybe. I haven't heard many modern dance presets either. However, in theory nothing is holding Pigments from making any sound. It's a power synth like Zebra. So, only time can tell what use people would mostly use it for.

I recently played with Thorn, and I prefer Thorn in leads, bass and plucks sound. Pigments is definitely superior in pads, but this may change when I know those synths better.

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far. I really don't buy this 'plasticky' perception - purely subjective and meaningless.
I don't like that much Alchemy in Logic.
No modulations matrix and it can quiclky becomes a mess to see what modulate what and it is even harder when a modulator can be modulated and assigned to a performance knob ! :dog:

Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:38 pm So I did and because of the near no-brainer cross grade deal I couldn't resist and picked up Pigments.

Nothing really ground breaking but it is a very nice synth and for the price there's no room for complaints. :tu:

Anyway I'm off to make some sounds.......... :hyper:
What price did you get it for for the crossgrade?

I couldn't resist the 'crossgrade' offer from the freebies; €69 with 5 free soundbanks. That was really cool of Arturia, and the most enticing deal of the year, thus far. I was checking the different retailers, and for once, the dev made the smart decision to offer me the best deal directly. I wish more devs did this. :tu:

Was struggling to get the sounds I wanted for the first half hour; I'm not used to Arturia's sound, & it doesn't work/sound like Serum at all (my closest comparison). I've now got some really nice presets and figured how the modulation works. I dig the comprehensiveness of the modulation, especially the combinators; it's really wild and advanced stuff. It does seem to have a purposely less 'loud' sound than a lot of synths I have, but that's ok by me. I find other synths are far too loud, by default, to the point of clipping, whereas Pigments likes you to keep those levels in check.

Haven't used it extensively enough yet, but I get why people have been raving about it for the last 3 years. I won't be uninstalling Alchemy at any time soon, but it seems like it could fill a similar niche in my arsenal. If true, that's great, because Alchemy takes ages to load, and it's always going to be the case.

My only gripe is the CPU usage seems a little high for what it's doing sometimes. It's remedied to an extent by being anal with the polyphony setting. Since this is the case, I feel it could be pulling tricks like this automatically to keep the CPU usage down. Aside from that small niggle, I'm really happy with it.

4damind wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm 49€ I see in my account, that's a deal.
Pigments seems to have become a bit more interesting now. Could almost be seen as an alternative to Omnisphere?
Does anyone also use Ana 2? The two could complement each other well...
Can I ask how did you see €49? Do you have other Arturia products?

_leras wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:21 am
4damind wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:24 pm 49€ I see in my account, that's a deal.
Pigments seems to have become a bit more interesting now. Could almost be seen as an alternative to Omnisphere?
Does anyone also use Ana 2? The two could complement each other well...
Can I ask how did you see €49? Do you have other Arturia products?
Exactly, I have other plugins from Arturia.

Yeah, they have dynamic discounts. For me, the price was 69 €. For peeps who don't own any Arturia product, there's an intro price of 99 €.

All until the 13th of May, I think.

chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 am Yeah, they have dynamic discounts. For me, the price was 69 €. For peeps who don't own any Arturia product, there's an intro price of 99 €.

Thanks - I own the Buchla synth of theirs, but only saw 99 €... Maybe a single product was not enough for a discount...

At 99 € it's still an excellent deal.

_leras wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:53 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:40 am Yeah, they have dynamic discounts. For me, the price was 69 €. For peeps who don't own any Arturia product, there's an intro price of 99 €.

Thanks - I own the Buchla synth of theirs, but only saw 99 €... Maybe a single product was not enough for a discount...

You need to log in to see your "personal offer". If you own one of the Buchla synths you ought to qualify for the 69e offer, if not 49e. I only have the freebies and I still qualified for the 69e deal.
Always Read the Manual!

PieBerger wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 pm

You need to log in to see your "personal offer".
Exactly.

I played more with it tonight. I must say I like it much more now. Actually, I like it more than Zebra!

Although I bought it for $49 (I have VC7), I would pay $100 :) It's a good change from vintage sounds :)

I like it more than I thought I would. Bought it yesterday, for 69 €. The handling is sweet, and, I like the sound as well. The filters could be better, and it sounds a bit sterile (which actually is good for wavetable stuff though... if the synth sounds dirty, and has some saturation in the signal path, it can quickly be too much, when you want those glassy, pristine, high end wavetable stuff).

Really well done by Arturia. I'm convinced. As others have written, total no-brainer for the price.

And, yes, I can confirm that it sounds a bit plastic-y. How good that I like plastic. :lol:

PieBerger wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:03 pm

You need to log in to see your "personal offer". If you own one of the Buchla synths you ought to qualify for the 69e offer, if not 49e. I only have the freebies and I still qualified for the 69e deal.
Aha! Thanks, I thought I was logged in.

Better email them then and try and get some of my money back!! :hihi:

If I had a feature request then that you would be able to set 2D or 3D view as default for the wavetable oscillators. I always have to switch it to 2D every time I load an instance...

Oh, and this:
Igro wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:57 pm It would be cool to have the ability to change the phase of the oscillators in VA section.
Would be great to have for all oscillators.

_leras wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:00 am
Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:38 pm So I did and because of the near no-brainer cross grade deal I couldn't resist and picked up Pigments.
Nothing really ground breaking but it is a very nice synth and for the price there's no room for complaints. :tu:
What price did you get it for for the crossgrade?
$69 and that was based on simply registering their freebies in the past..... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Instruments”