FXpansion’s BFD Acquired by inMusic

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BFD 3 BFD Eco

I really hope they address this online only setup. if BFD3 or 4 isn't available to use offline, I will have to switch over to Superior Drummer. Really disappointing.

I've done the user migration, but am holding off on actually installing the new version. Mostly because I'm not exactly sure what the licensing method is. But always online is a no-no for me (to me, any periodic check means "always online", even if it isn't constant or daily).

This is less to do with my machine not being on the internet, and more to do with me believing that handing over your critical infrastructure to a third party who can throw away the key on a whim is a bad idea. If the software requires constant pings, that means one day, it is guaranteed to cease to work through no fault of mine. I want to be able to install the software and use it irrespective of the fortunes of the vendor; I don't want to be beholden to a suit looking at a spreadsheet and deciding that it's not worth keeping the infrastructure in place for a product that is no longer seen as viable.

So for now, I will be keeping my old installation that *just works* and doesn't rely on constant pings. I'm fine with a ping when installing/updating the software. I would expect there to be an offline method for activation too, that is a one-off whenever you make a big change to the system. I'm not fine with constant pings and monitoring and running the risk that the software may be unusable at any moment through no fault of my own.

I'm aware that C/R inherently has this issue that a dead server means no more installs; but at least methods that only require a ping on installation mean that once the software is installed, the onus is on me to keep that system running.

Being InMusic and somehow now tied to Air Music Tech (also including some of their plugins within BFD), I'm a bit worried they go I-Lok....

- Mario

SirkusPi wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:13 pm
silhouette1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm ... No self respecting musician works upon projects with the internet on. ...
I was 100% with you that forcing users to be online 100% of the time is a fair ground for complaint, until this wholly unnecessary attack on anyone who has a different workflow from you. What did this add to the discussion? Simply saying "I prefer not to have the internet on when I work, and believe that many other producers feel the same way" would accomplish the same thing, without insulting others' working practices.
Well sorry about that and on reflection you are quite right. I guess I am probably a bit old school. But hey that's how I work and I would be fed up having my creative flow interrupted. I also live in an area where the internet gets interrupted, in which case I would not be able to work. I am afraid that all the people I know who work with DAWs turn off the internet.

Apologies for the ruffled feathers and I will bear this in mind. I have altered my original post.
Last edited by silhouette1 on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Burillo wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:41 pm
silhouette1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm I live out in the country and the internet often drops out. No self respecting musician works upon projects with the internet on.
no self-respecting musician lives in a place where there's no internet. we can all play this game, but yeah, this was indeed uncalled for.
Opps! I have changed the wording in my original post, no disrespect intended. Heat of the moment and all that.

Amberience wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Skorobagatko wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 am
Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm Hey all,
I'm sure there will be an official communication at some point, but a few bulletpoints:
  • We've hit some technical snags on getting everyone the Eldorado and London Sessions packs. But it will definitely happen. We're also going to make it so that migrations moving forward will get those packs automatically - watch this space.
  • Same as above, but with the Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 pack to replace the SP1/SP2/ZP1 packs.
  • There is a BFD 3.4.1.x build in progress that will address:
    • Sluggishness on start-up.
    • Expansion packs not being available when offline
    • License Manager failing to connect to the internet sometimes
    • Migration of user-files being broken, not copying all files, and being executed even on clean systems without prior installations.
Just wanted to give everyone an update.
What about BFD3.dll which is in my vst folder but any of my DAW can't scan it, so there is no BFD3 plugin in fx browser? And when I launch standalone version it just crashes.

Heya,
Could you give me more details please? Which DAWs are you using? What is your setup? Do you still have the FXpansion version of BFD3.dll kicking around? If so, try removing that and making sure you only have the new 3.4 version installed. Have you tried clearing your DAW blacklist? Sometimes that can help.

If you can give me more info, I can diagnose a bit more thoroughly. Cheers!
Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)

Fxpansion version of BFD3 and old dll files were deleted and Installed a new update.

Cockos Reaper 6.28 (tested in regular and portable installations), Bitwig Studio 3.3.7 and Ableton Live 10.

Vst in Reaper is in "plugins that failed to scan" menu, Bitwig can't see it too.

It worked only in Ableton Live, but my main DAW with all the projects BFD3 was used in is Reaper.

I don't have any plugins blacklisted in my DAW.

https://imgur.com/Wnlmo5B - good quality gif

mabian wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:45 pm Being InMusic and somehow now tied to Air Music Tech (also including some of their plugins within BFD), I'm a bit worried they go I-Lok....

- Mario
Not happening.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Skorobagatko wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:07 pm
Amberience wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:49 pm
Skorobagatko wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 am
Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm Hey all,
I'm sure there will be an official communication at some point, but a few bulletpoints:
  • We've hit some technical snags on getting everyone the Eldorado and London Sessions packs. But it will definitely happen. We're also going to make it so that migrations moving forward will get those packs automatically - watch this space.
  • Same as above, but with the Zildjian Digital Vaults. Vol 1 pack to replace the SP1/SP2/ZP1 packs.
  • There is a BFD 3.4.1.x build in progress that will address:
    • Sluggishness on start-up.
    • Expansion packs not being available when offline
    • License Manager failing to connect to the internet sometimes
    • Migration of user-files being broken, not copying all files, and being executed even on clean systems without prior installations.
Just wanted to give everyone an update.
What about BFD3.dll which is in my vst folder but any of my DAW can't scan it, so there is no BFD3 plugin in fx browser? And when I launch standalone version it just crashes.

Heya,
Could you give me more details please? Which DAWs are you using? What is your setup? Do you still have the FXpansion version of BFD3.dll kicking around? If so, try removing that and making sure you only have the new 3.4 version installed. Have you tried clearing your DAW blacklist? Sometimes that can help.

If you can give me more info, I can diagnose a bit more thoroughly. Cheers!
Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.928)

Fxpansion version of BFD3 and old dll files were deleted and Installed a new update.

Cockos Reaper 6.28 (tested in regular and portable installations), Bitwig Studio 3.3.7 and Ableton Live 10.

Vst in Reaper is in "plugins that failed to scan" menu, Bitwig can't see it too.

It worked only in Ableton Live, but my main DAW with all the projects BFD3 was used in is Reaper.

I don't have any plugins blacklisted in my DAW.

https://imgur.com/Wnlmo5B - good quality gif

Hmmm. We test in Reaper, and I was just running it in Reaper here. Something awry here.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

What is the time table on this CF to get our BFD1 and BFD2 libraries back? :clap:

Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm We've hit some technical snags on getting everyone the Eldorado and London Sessions packs.
"everyone"? :D
Amberience wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:32 pm There is a BFD 3.4.1.x build in progress that will address: Expansion packs not being available when offline
Does that build allow for generally working offline, then, or does it merely solve an expansion-related online/offline issue? I just found that the current build crashes logic when opening bfd on my (generally offline) studio Mac Mini...

silhouette1 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:54 pm ... No self respecting musician works upon projects with the internet on. ...
I can guarantee I am more self respecting than you shithouette, considering your post, and I work on projects fully connected to the internet at all times. So fu buddy. Another dork added to my foe list.

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm ...added to my foe list.
I'm not sure if it matters, but silhouette already retracted the sentiment and changed the original so as not to disrespect others who prefer a different workflow.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

pough wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:24 pm ...added to my foe list.
I'm not sure if it matters, but silhouette already retracted the sentiment and changed the original so as not to disrespect others who prefer a different workflow.
I took that into consideration. shithouette only changed their post after they were called out for being an ahole. You don't win points for that. Kisses to Burillo for being a fine "dad".
Last edited by plexuss on Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kom wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm I really hope they address this online only setup. if BFD3 or 4 isn't available to use offline, I will have to switch over to Superior Drummer. Really disappointing.
this is really crazy and unbelievable. And unacceptable. I bought this to use at gigs. I was very excited to get this software. But how can I use this live? there is no wifi at a gig. Maybe some random hotspot. And cell signals aren't always available in some buildings. not something you can rely on for gigs. so if I try to use this live, and I get no wifi, I cant use this??? how crazy is that! Inmusic, please rethink this very unprofessional way of thinking! I think people need to keep the pressure up too. maybe if enough people complain, they will realize this huge mistake.

Hugh Mann wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:21 am
Kom wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:58 pm I really hope they address this online only setup. if BFD3 or 4 isn't available to use offline, I will have to switch over to Superior Drummer. Really disappointing.
this is really crazy and unbelievable. And unacceptable. I bought this to use at gigs. I was very excited to get this software. But how can I use this live? there is no wifi at a gig. Maybe some random hotspot. And cell signals aren't always available in some buildings. not something you can rely on for gigs. so if I try to use this live, and I get no wifi, I cant use this??? how crazy is that! Inmusic, please rethink this very unprofessional way of thinking! I think people need to keep the pressure up too. maybe if enough people complain, they will realize this huge mistake.
Drew said they're looking into it and raised the issue. Why not give them a chance? Hint: you can stay on the FXPansion version of BFD3 until the teething issues are sorted unless you need to reinstall. No need for anyone to panic (or update right now actually).

Return to “Instruments”