I need a limiter and two are on sale: IK Stealth or PSP Xenon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:47 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:45 pm
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:49 pm
Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm You get an incredible compressor and limiter for $25.
Stealth Limiter is currently $25 too, on sale
Indeed, I don't think it's as good though, hence my comment :D
Judging by other comments, it seems it is at least as good if not better. :D
Haha, obviously no bias though Peter ;)
See emphasis above. I was referencing what others say about Stealth Limiter. And I've been using IK products since way before I worked here, and would still absolutely use Stealth Limiter if I didn't.

Edit - I stand corrected, only seems to be some 'assuming the worst'

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 pm
simmo75 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:23 pm You get an incredible compressor and limiter for $25.
Stealth Limiter is currently $25 too, on sale
Ah, Peter! Just the man I was hoping to talk to.

I've activated the demo for Stealth Limiter in Custom Shop, but Reaper will not recognize it when I add Stealth to a project. I get a popup telling me to either activate a demo or purchase, and since I've already done so I get stuck with Stealth blasting pink noise every ten seconds. I've bought other T-Racks stuff before and they work fine.

Wut do?

EDIT: Latest version of T-Racks installed, already hit 'Restore My Gear', no help.

EDIT the EDIT: Whoopsie, I had the latest Custom Shop version installed. I'm installing the latest T-Racks right now, hopefully it'll do the trick.
Last edited by Mind Riot on Wed May 05, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

I can definitely tell you PSP Xenon is an over-all better limiter than IK Stealth You just need to demo them to see / hear this. Of course YMMV but just in terms of features for better control over limiting, Xenon has more flexibility. Stealth is good if you want a faster workflow.

If it should be more in the professional area... Newfangled Audio Elevate (Eventide website) is on sale till end of May for $99 (needs an iLok)

Stealth introduces a lot of latency here, definitely not useful during writing, maybe worth keeping that in mind.

Is Stealth included in MixBox?

4damind wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:14 pm If it should be more in the professional area... Newfangled Audio Elevate (Eventide website) is on sale till end of May for $99 (needs an iLok)
Definitely Elevate.

plexuss wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:00 pm I can definitely tell you PSP Xenon is an over-all better limiter than IK Stealth You just need to demo them to see / hear this. Of course YMMV but just in terms of features for better control over limiting, Xenon has more flexibility. Stealth is good if you want a faster workflow.
Well Xenon is certainly going to win this contest if I can't even demo its competition. IK's labyrinthine installation and authorization schemes aren't helping matters. The only thing I really use from T-Racks is the 1176 compressor, and it's pretty CPU hungry and has a chunk of latency too. Being my only 1176 plug, I use it everywhere and its CPU needs add up pretty quick.

I'm actually side eyeing PSP's FETPressor. Looks like an 1176 with some very useful added features. Think I'll demo that thing while I'm at it as well.

EDIT: Pardon my frustration, I've softened my language in this post.
Last edited by Mind Riot on Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

simmo75 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:27 pm Is Stealth included in MixBox?
No.

For 25 bucks, however, Stealth is probably one of the best deals available anywhere, any time. It is just a transparent as FF Pro L, IMO. Pro L beats it only in the UI department. But then, you'll never get your hands on Pro L for $25.

I would purchase a PSP product any day over IK.

MOD EDIT wrote:Members should post in a way that is respectful of other users. Flaming or abusing users in any way will not be tolerated and will result in your post being edited / deleted, and you may be issued with a warning and / or a ban.

People rave about Stealth but it distorts easily in my opinion.

Xenon's OK but it's getting old now and lacks features of modern counterparts.

If you are serious about preserving your audio while limiting it, look elsewhere. You can really spend the money (Limitless / Pro-L 2) or there are some amazing ones much cheaper too (EBusLim / Barricade).

And the winner is....TB Barricade 4 :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 am And the winner is....TB Barricade 4 :)
Believe it or not, it's too expensive for this matchup. I'm only checking out these two because the prices are so extremely low. Barricade 4 comes up around $44 dollars or so (39 Euros). Xenon is $29, and Stealth is actually only $18 because I can use some Jam Points to take 30% off the sale price. I'll go higher if I feel it's warranted, but I'm not someone who really has room in my budget for new toys. When a potential steal comes along, I'll try to tighten my belt and free up some coin if it will really give me a better tool in an area where my toolbox may be lacking.

And if neither of them is to my liking I'll just keep using Limiter 6, but she's a complicated girl.

Mind Riot wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:19 am
digitalboytn wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:00 am And the winner is....TB Barricade 4 :)
Believe it or not, it's too expensive for this matchup. I'm only checking out these two because the prices are so extremely low. Barricade 4 comes up around $44 dollars or so (39 Euros). Xenon is $29, and Stealth is actually only $18 because I can use some Jam Points to take 30% off the sale price. I'll go higher if I feel it's warranted, but I'm not someone who really has room in my budget for new toys. When a potential steal comes along, I'll try to tighten my belt and free up some coin if it will really give me a better tool in an area where my toolbox may be lacking.

And if neither of them is to my liking I'll just keep using Limiter 6, but she's a complicated girl.
Check out FIRComp 2. It hits your price range.

Return to “Effects”