DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

moss wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 pm
auricle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:54 pm So what information would be useful for you?
Since there is no error and I guess you have checked for write protected folders, I have sadly no idea.
What I don’t understand is that I’m using exactly the same as you. Fresh install of Ubuntu Studio 21.04 with everything left at default. Everything works in Kubuntu 20.10 so I know it’s not my hardware.

*edit* so, if I install Kubuntu 21.04 and then the Ubuntu Studio tools on top, it works.

Hello everybody, hello Jürgen,

it has only been a few days since I migrated to Bitwig. It's great, I regret I had'nt done it sooner.
Thank you for all your work and your tutorials which are very very (very) usefull.
And the Generic Flexi is really excellent and very easy to use.
I am almost fulfilled .
... "almost" because I'm having some problems.

I use the "Remote" function of a behringer x32 producer mixer.
Everything works perfectly even if I correct some missing of the Flexi using Bome's Midi Translator pro between my hardware and bitwig (for example, among other things, I have to "declutch"/prohibit the MIDI return for a few ms when I use the faders motorized, this allows me to move the faders freely without forcing them).

Thanks to Flexi, being able to change modes is very powerful. When I change the mode, all the faders and buttons update, it's perfect.
EXCEPT for "Track" mode:
if I select track 5 for example, then switch to "Track" mode, the update (MIDI feedbacks) does'nt correspond to the correct parameters:
the feedback of the "volume" is that of the volume of track 1
that of the "pan" is that of the pan of track 2
that of "S1 Effect" is that of send1 of track 3
that of "S2 Effect" is that of send2 of track 4
that of "S6 Effect" is that of send6 of track 8
(... it's like that all the time whatever the selected track)

However controls correspond to the correct parameters. But, when I control any of these parameters, it causes value jumps despite the takeover's mode is set on catch.

This makes the "Track" mode, yet so practical, unusable.

I forebode a flaw in Flexi, but maybe I am not using it correctly.

Can you help for this ?

Thank you to have take time to read and to take it to answer

Gil
Last edited by GCR on Tue May 04, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 am I use the "Remote" function of a behringer x32 producer mixer.
Everything works perfectly even if I correct some missing of the Flexi using Bome's Midi Translator pro between my hardware and bitwig (for example, among other things, I have to "declutch"/prohibit the MIDI return for a few ms when I use the faders motorized, this allows me to move the faders freely without forcing them).
Setting "Takeover Mode" in the Bitwig settings to "Immidiate" should fix this.
GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 am Thanks to Flexi, being able to change modes is very powerful. When I change the mode, all the faders and buttons update, it's perfect.
EXCEPT for "Track" mode:
if I select track 5 for example, then switch to "Track" mode, the update (MIDI feedbacks) does'nt correspond to the correct parameters:
I can only guess that you mapped the wrong functions. You need to use the "Modes: Item X: Set Value" functions.

Thanck you for answer
moss wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am
GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 am I use the "Remote" function of a behringer x32 producer mixer.
Setting "Takeover Mode" in the Bitwig settings to "Immidiate" should fix this.
I need to set "Takeover" to "catch", because there is some absolute rotatives knobs on x32 (for exemple, I use one for setting the tempo, I can't have some jump for these important parameter).
Furthermore, I have other old MIDI devices with absolute controllers, and I don't want any MIDI jump.
Furthermore, I test one fader motorized on a volume track with the "Takeover" set on "immediate" and there is the same problem to have, in the same time, the MIDI feedback while I move the fader motorized (and it's normal).
This is not my problem, because I can get around this using Bome's MT pro just with one timer by fader. (I don't know if this technique can be applied in scripts)
moss wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am
GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 1:05 am Thanks to Flexi, being able to change modes is very powerful. When I change the mode, all the faders and buttons update, it's perfect.
EXCEPT for "Track" mode:
I can only guess that you mapped the wrong functions. You need to use the "Modes: Item X: Set Value" functions.
This is the problem
I have started again, several times and diligently, and there is apparently no error.
I use from the beginning the "Modes: Item X: Set Value" functions.
Furthermore, it works perfectly (controls and feedbacks) with all modes (and it's really great). Except for the "Track" Mode : Controls works perfectly but MIDI feedbacks are as I described above.
and when I select another track, nothing changes : it's always as I described above.

bitwig 3.3.7
DrivenByMoss 11.8.0
x32 mixer is up to date

I precise I can monitor, control and filter all MIDI trafics with BMT pro, and I test a lot to try understanding. For me, the issue is in the Generic Flexi.

I'm at your entire disposal if you need any further information or reports
Thanks to help

Gil

GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:36 pm I have started again, several times and diligently, and there is apparently no error.
I use from the beginning the "Modes: Item X: Set Value" functions.
Furthermore, it works perfectly (controls and feedbacks) with all modes (and it's really great). Except for the "Track" Mode : Controls works perfectly but MIDI feedbacks are as I described above.
and when I select another track, nothing changes : it's always as I described above.
Ah, sorry. I misread what you wrote, so the issue is the output not the control.
Yes, there is a bug, will be fixed in the next update!

moss wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:14 pmAh, sorry. I misread what you wrote, so the issue is the output not the control.
Yes, there is a bug, will be fixed in the next update!
It will be wonderfull, thank you
How to be informed of updates?

I have some other issues (I hope not to abuse your patience):

minor issues :
  • the MIDI feedbacks values for buttons (I try all options) are always 0 to off and 1 to on. For my MIDI devices they should be 0 to off and 127 to on. Can I change this ?
    I precise that I get around this problem with Bome's MT pro.
    (The best would be to be able to set the values min/max we want, it would be powerfull for RGB feedbacks.
    And the perfection would be to be able to add one or several feedbacks on other CCs on other channels and even on other MIDI ports.)
  • I have no MIDI feedback when I change the "Mode" whatever the setting. Is this currently possible ?
  • I have a conflict when I control the "Metronome" with its MIDI feedback.
    I've tried controlling another bitwig button with the same controller and it works (control and feedback).
    I've tried controlling the metronome with another controller which works on a mute (control and feedback) and I have the same problem :
    I think the feedback is sending out a control command again.
    At best the button turns on and off immediately, at worst the button turns on and off in a loop.
    I've tried all the possible options of the Flexi and with my controller either toggle or momentary.
    I get around it with the same trick as for my motorized faders, but this is very strange.

Major issue :
  • None of the 8 "Track x: Toggle Solo" controls work at all, although their feedbacks work perfectly.
    I can't explain it better, and no matter how much I search, I don't solve it.

and finally, a request :
  • It will be powerfull to integrate the "Returns" and the "Master" in the mode list

Thank you for attention and for your work

Gil

GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm How to be informed of updates?
Watch this space or checkout the Bitwig Facebook group ("Bitwig Users Group").
GCR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:20 pm
  • the MIDI feedbacks values for buttons (I try all options) are always 0 to off and 1 to on. For my MIDI devices they should be 0 to off and 127 to on. Can I change this ?
Sorry, no. I thought about improving the output but it seems that all the controllers I own behave different and therefore it is hard to provide a generic solution.
  • I have no MIDI feedback when I change the "Mode" whatever the setting. Is this currently possible ?
No, the mode change does not send an event.
    I've tried controlling another bitwig button with the same controller and it works (control and feedback).
    None of the 8 "Track x: Toggle Solo" controls work at all, although their feedbacks work perfectly.
I tested both the metronome and the solo functions and cannot see an issue. Also the code is identical to other functions. Did you try to disable "Send value to device when received"? This could cause the loop.
  • It will be powerfull to integrate the "Returns" and the "Master" in the mode list
If you have some a spare button, there is a function "Track: toggle trackbank", which switches to the fx channels. And there are dedicated master channel functions but I guess you have seen them.

moss wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 am
Sorry, no. I thought about improving the output but it seems that all the controllers I own behave different and therefore it is hard to provide a generic solution.
hence the need to set personal values.

If you have some a spare button, there is a function "Track: toggle trackbank", which switches to the fx channels. And there are dedicated master channel functions but I guess you have seen them.
ok ... it is well thought out, so that it does'nt overload the number of modes.

None of the 8 "Track x: Toggle Solo" controls work at all, although their feedbacks work perfectly.
I tested both the metronome and the solo functions and cannot see an issue. Also the code is identical to other functions. Did you try to disable "Send value to device when received"? This could cause the loop.
For the metronome, apparently it's due to my controller.

However for "SOLOS" it's stranger ... I reproduced the bug:
I started a new Flexi by assigning solos first and only. And they all work (like the other times in fact).
But, when I assign my fader 1 to "Modes: Item 1: Set value", then the "Track 1: Toggle Solo" control no longer works (feedbacks still work).
Same thing, when I assign my fader 2 to "Modes: Item 2" then the "Track 2: Toggle Solo" control no longer works ... and so on.

Yet there is no MIDI conflict :
my Solo buttons are MIDI Ch1, CCs 32 to 39
my faders are MIDI Ch1, CCs 0 to 7

But, if I change the MIDI channel of the faders, everything works perfectly !

I'm at your entire disposal if you need any further information or reports.
Thanks for the help. Thanks for your availability.

Gil

I did get it working (with one caveat) on the Maschine+ via modifying the Bitwig.nmc3 and changing 'midi-map type="MaschineMK3" to 'midi-map type="MaschinePlus" and saving it with the extension ncmp - in Bitwig, add a controller, pick Native Instruments and the MaschineMK3 for DrivenByMoss, and then do not select 'Maschine Plus MIDI' for the ports, but Maschine Plus Virtual and on the left a drop down appears that allows you to select Bitwig's M+ extension, or DrivenByMoss, obviously pick DrivenByMoss.

The caveat is the screens don't work lol. So close. Just sits there saying Maschine+ and whatever the second one says.

**edit** the screen thing was a Windows update from NI... but now they just say "Monitor" in the upper left of the left screen and the right screen displays control and MIDI values.

And the M+ is working fine on my MacBook Pro. Windows is being a pita about it for whatever reason and I'm not sure why. But so far, so good, though the Mac TextExit program doesn't save the ncmp file correctly for Controller Editor to add it >_> I'll keep poking at Windows and see if I can figure out the weird screen thing... might be another pending update, or some other NI nonsense XD

antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:05 pm
moss wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:56 pm
antic604 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:39 pm Does Maschine Mk3 script work for Maschine+ in controller mode?
Up to my knowledge it does not. NI told me that the controller mode is identical to the Mk3 but it seems not. I was in touch with a user who could not make it work.
I do not have a device, so cannot look into it currently.
Right, that's what I suspected.
Well, I'll know when/if I get one :)
I got it working on Macs, at least. See my post a couple up from this. It works on Windows, too, but the screens aren't working.

Koldunya wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 am And the M+ is working fine on my MacBook Pro. Windows is being a pita about it for whatever reason and I'm not sure why. But so far, so good, though the Mac TextExit program doesn't save the ncmp file correctly for Controller Editor to add it >_> I'll keep poking at Windows and see if I can figure out the weird screen thing... might be another pending update, or some other NI nonsense XD
That's great news! I just supported yesterday a user in making the Mk3 displays work and this might be the same issue. I just added the following text to the manual:

**Important**: Selecting the template is a bit tricky since when you activate a template from the Maschine which overwrites the left/right buttons you are stuck with the template list on the display. Therefore, you need to select the template from the controller editor. If you are already stuck in the template list do the following to fix it:

1. Open the controller editor.
2. Select a template which does not overwrite the left/right button
3. On the Maschine press Shift and select *Knobs* with the button over the 2nd display to move away from the template list
4. Select the DrivenByMoss template in the controller editor.

GCR wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:06 pm However for "SOLOS" it's stranger ... I reproduced the bug:
I started a new Flexi by assigning solos first and only. And they all work (like the other times in fact).
But, when I assign my fader 1 to "Modes: Item 1: Set value", then the "Track 1: Toggle Solo" control no longer works (feedbacks still work).
Same thing, when I assign my fader 2 to "Modes: Item 2" then the "Track 2: Toggle Solo" control no longer works ... and so on.

Yet there is no MIDI conflict :
my Solo buttons are MIDI Ch1, CCs 32 to 39
my faders are MIDI Ch1, CCs 0 to 7

But, if I change the MIDI channel of the faders, everything works perfectly !
Could it be that you activated 14-bit mode?

Thanks!
Last edited by xtreme sounds on Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hello Moss and others,

After launching the Bitwig browser, the "arrow keys" pads don't seem to work on my Novation Launchkey 25. I press them, but it will not navigate to any of the filters or devices etc. in the browser. The arrow keys on my keyboard still work though.

Is this a known issue or am I missing some sort of config?

Thanks!

Return to “Controller Scripting”