Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

ecasasmusic2 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:29 pm In my system (8th generation i5 with 16 Gb RAM) Omnisphere runs smoothly, and I sometimes keep several instances opened. It may be better to make a Multi but I am lazy…

Pigments 3 is much more hungry for my CPU.
Good to know that, thanks.

Pigments 3 is indeed hungry, but my i7 seems to handle it fine. Of course, I haven't really tested it that much.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm Even if it was Omisphere, I'd really not take such statements as an indication that they're short before the release of something new. In general, software development doesn't work like that. It can be years until something finally is being released (especially with audio software). And, I really doubt you'd want to wait years, if you want to buy Omnisphere now.
So, if I understand correctly, I should not wait for Omnisphere 3 (about which there is not even a rumour yet) and get Omnisphere 2 now if I want to, right?

And I think Omnisphere 2.6 anyway has pretty much everything I would need now and for a long time to come. Who knows there could be one or two more free updates (2.7, 2.8...) in near future. Most importantly the GUI is brand new and scalable and something that is unlikely to change even if Omnisphere 3 is released in future.

Yes. Next question.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm In the meantime...

How is Omnisphere 2 CPU wise?

I am running Intel Core-i7 7700 paired with 16 GB DDR4. The specs are met, but I want to know roughly how many instances can I open? Or the better way would be to use it as a multi-timbral synth and load instruments in one instance and route them to different MIDI channels?

How do you guys use it?
It really depends on the patch. If you’ve got a multi going with lots of unison oscillators and effects on each layer, you’ll choke your CPU. If you use a single layer and keep things reasonable, you’ll have no problem. I don’t think Omnisphere is multi-core aware yet, so its probably better to run multiple instances than one giant layer fest.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm Even if it was Omisphere, I'd really not take such statements as an indication that they're short before the release of something new. In general, software development doesn't work like that. It can be years until something finally is being released (especially with audio software). And, I really doubt you'd want to wait years, if you want to buy Omnisphere now.
So, if I understand correctly, I should not wait for Omnisphere 3 (about which there is not even a rumour yet) and get Omnisphere 2 now if I want to, right?
Absolutely. AFAIC, Omnisphere 3 could be 10 years away from now, if it ever gets released.

Or... you'd be the unluckiest guy of the century, and Omnisphere 3 will be released tomorrow. :oops:

I'm pretty sure they'd grant you a grace period version 3 upgrade for free then though.

legendCNCD wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:04 pm Yes. Next question.
:)
zerocrossing wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:09 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:40 pm In the meantime...
How is Omnisphere 2 CPU wise?
It really depends on the patch. If you’ve got a multi going with lots of unison oscillators and effects on each layer, you’ll choke your CPU. If you use a single layer and keep things reasonable, you’ll have no problem. I don’t think Omnisphere is multi-core aware yet, so its probably better to run multiple instances than one giant layer fest.
Okay, that's a useful tip, thanks. I will keep that in mind.
chk071 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:15 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 4:42 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:45 pm
Absolutely. AFAIC, Omnisphere 3 could be 10 years away from now, if it ever gets released.

Or... you'd be the unluckiest guy of the century, and Omnisphere 3 will be released tomorrow. :oops:

I'm pretty sure they'd grant you a grace period version 3 upgrade for free then though.
10 years sounds too much considering it's about 6 years already since V2 was released, isn't it? :)
But I get your point. I am not much familiar with Spectrasonics software updates, but they have already added a ton of features apparently since the release of V2.

Yeah, they seem to have a generous grace period. As I mentioned previously, either I would need to qualify/ask for the free upgrade or would prefer staying on Omnisphere 2.x.

Most of the Omnisphere 2 audio demos on the website seem to be quite old and I only liked a few. However, I found this video more convincing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5xemfvwi6g

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm10 years sounds too much considering it's about 6 years already since V2 was released, isn't it? :)
There is zero pattern to Spectrasonics releases. It's entirely possible that there will never be a version 3.

Eric said a few years ago now they have one product that has been in development for 17 years. It's over 20 now.

They're really not like other companies...
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:02 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:47 pm10 years sounds too much considering it's about 6 years already since V2 was released, isn't it? :)
There is zero pattern to Spectrasonics releases. It's entirely possible that there will never be a version 3.

Eric said a few years ago now they have one product that has been in development for 17 years. It's over 20 now.

That's ridiculous. Doesn't make sense to wait then.

Trying to decide...

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:43 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:02 pm

That's ridiculous. Doesn't make sense to wait then.

Trying to decide...
Omnisphere is so expensive and hard to resell that you should probably spend about 6 months from the time that you decide you want it, just looking for reasons NOT to want it.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 am@pdxindy: Yes, Komplete is my first love and I will never ever sell it. Each song that I make uses at least one NI product. The V Collection also is excellent and it's not worth selling considering the resale price.
If you just got the desire to buy something, then go ahead, but what you already have covers every possible use. More than Omnisphere does.

My suggestion... make music with what you got and save your money, cause you have lots of world class synthesis already in hand. There is nothing 'better' out there than what you got.
Great advice and I fully agree. I am thinking of this approach: I will give some time for this thought to settle. In the meantime, I will try to do a cleanup and see if I can get rid of some redundant things. Only if I am able to generate a major part of the Omnisphere 2 price, I will consider it buying - as it is mainly about the financial part, else there would be rarely anyone who would not want to get their hands on it at least once. Again, I agree that I have all basis covered, but if I am able to resell some things, why not give it a chance? :)
Good to give some time...

$500 buys a lot... a sweet midi controller, a solid audio interface, some awesome headphones, a number of vst FX which can be used with any synth. For only $150 more you can get a controller like a Maschine MK3.

Since you already have so much amazing synthesis, and money is tight, maybe there is some other gear that would be of greater use.

You can try if you can get Omni Used.

I bought Omni as a 'welcome back' to myself after an absence from making music. Loved it and had a great time with the phenomenonal presets for about a year.

However, it's far too 'big' a synth for me to enjoy programming, I like simpler stuff when making my own sounds, so Spectra gave me permission to sell and I did fine out of the deal.

In short, if you want it and can afford it,buy it, I honestly don't think you can lose and life is short.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

biscuitdough wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:03 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:43 pm
Omnisphere is so expensive and hard to resell that you should probably spend about 6 months from the time that you decide you want it, just looking for reasons NOT to want it.
I get your point. The $50 transfer fee and NFR makes it a little difficult to resell, but I have seen people selling it successfully between $300 to $375 (all inclusive). The problem is there is no demo, so only way is to buy and try. I will definitely make sure that I do want it before I purchase it.
Hellfog wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:41 pm You can try if you can get Omni Used.
Yeah, I thought about this initially, but it's a hassle for such an expensive software and it would be better to get new so that if at all it does not work out, I have the option to resell it in future. Also, mostly the difference between new and used is about $100 only.

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 am
Good to give some time...

$500 buys a lot... a sweet midi controller, a solid audio interface, some awesome headphones, a number of vst FX which can be used with any synth. For only $150 more you can get a controller like a Maschine MK3.

Since you already have so much amazing synthesis, and money is tight, maybe there is some other gear that would be of greater use.
Yeah, that's right. Great suggestion. Fortunately, I have all those things already covered. Even got a pair of monitors recently which were long due. And I do have Mikro MK3, Maschine MK3/+ is kinda overkill for me.

Exactly for that reason, I will only buy Omnisphere 2 if I am able to generate at least 60% of its price by reselling the stuff that I don't use much. My situation does not allow me to get desperate and I cannot buy it without arranging money for it. I think this would be a reasonable approach (balancing act) to try this instrument. And once I get it, I should ideally get off the forums and spend more time on music. :)
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Fri May 07, 2021 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”