The Wagtunes Corner

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic

What CD Would You Like To Hear Me Do?

Modern Pop (Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, etc.)
5%
Classic Rock (Stones, Beatles, Who, Zep)
5%
Prog Rock (Yes, Genesis, Kansas, etc.)
10%
Show Tunes Style (Sound Of Music, My Fair Lady, etc.)
3%
Country (Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, etc.)
2%
Disco (Bee Gees, Tramps, etc.)
14%
Metal (various sub genres)
9%
EDM (various sub genres)
14%
80s (various genres)
8%
Your Music Sucks. Please Stop Making It
30%

Total votes: 174

RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 pm I'd say there is an exercise for this: restrict yourself to a single instrument for the 'arrangement', it has to carry the melody, if there's a bassline, harmonies, all of it has to come from the one place with no help coming. If there's a drum idea, make it behave drumlike.
That can definitely work for a lot of people...I can sometimes really struggle with the whole 'arrangement and orchestration / ensemble' line of thinking...is this for string quartet, pure electronica, full choir, small orchestra, Death Metal band blah blah...

So, more often that not, I start off at the piano just doodling and then developing the doodles some more and some more into something vaguely coherent...still just at the piano. That way, as soon as you start arranging it all, you are instantly scaling it up and also probably have more idea of what instruments might work.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

Last edited by jancivil on Thu May 06, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nfm
Last edited by jancivil on Thu May 06, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:23 pm I'd say there is an exercise for this: restrict yourself to a single instrument for the 'arrangement', it has to carry the melody, if there's a bassline, harmonies, all of it has to come from the one place with no help coming. If there's a drum idea, make it behave drumlike.
Wow, that sounds tough. I have serious doubts that I'd be able to pull anything off like this that would sound anything close to good.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 pm I had begun to question my whole thing, everything was orchestration, I made a couple of things which weren't more than orchestration really.
Yeah, been there...

Wrote an orchestral piece last year during lockdown...pretty pleased with it and then my musical son on his first listen said: "Why are you writing an exercise in texture, arrangement and orchestration?" Ouch! But he was right...that one will remain in the archive folder I think! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 pm I'm indicating, though, that the entire product be realized on one instrument, maybe it's a virtual instrument, make it sound completely whole without anything to hide behind.
See what you mean now! Doh moment from me! :)

Yeah, could work...I think anything 'outside the box' / new / different that shakes it all up can be worth trying if the ideas aren't flowing.

---
Last edited by jancivil on Thu May 06, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hey man! Just to chime in...

A few posts back you said "no full blown arrangement" for this project. I think you are over-thinking on how to under-think this project.

Perhaps you meant "not over produced"...that would certainly qualify as "basement". I mean, even early Rush as a three piece with no keys (and musicianship aside) was a "full blown arrangement"! Heck, Jan's one harp above is a full blown arrangement!

It is ok to keep the number of parts limited. It is ok to arrange the heck out of them and still get the feel you are looking for... but that answer lies with limiting what you are willing to do production-wise... not what your instruments are doing.

Jon

JonSolo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 am Hey man! Just to chime in...

A few posts back you said "no full blown arrangement" for this project. I think you are over-thinking on how to under-think this project.

Perhaps you meant "not over produced"...that would certainly qualify as "basement". I mean, even early Rush as a three piece with no keys (and musicianship aside) was a "full blown arrangement"! Heck, Jan's one harp above is a full blown arrangement!

It is ok to keep the number of parts limited. It is ok to arrange the heck out of them and still get the feel you are looking for... but that answer lies with limiting what you are willing to do production-wise... not what your instruments are doing.

Jon
I think I get what you're saying Jon. LOL.

I need a good night's sleep.

More tomorrow.

ba ba ha ba ba ba:

ya know wags, im not sure i like this one thread wagtunes approach of yours.
i had to scan through 3 pages of member blabbings to find some soundcloud action.
but because its YOU and i was in a wagmood. here i am. anyway,
this was a fun track, well composed as usual. mix was good too.
kind of reminded me of the police goo goo ga ga. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

layzer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:32 am ba ba ha ba ba ba:

ya know wags, im not sure i like this one thread wagtunes approach of yours.
i had to scan through 3 pages of member blabbings to find some soundcloud action.
but because its YOU and i was in a wagmood. here i am. anyway,
this was a fun track, well composed as usual. mix was good too.
kind of reminded me of the police goo goo ga ga. :tu:
Yeah, I know. It's been a strange year for me. And my latest project is taking forever to do.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my bubble gum offering. It was a lot of fun to do.

Smorgasbord: Some tracks with original Wagtunes flavor! Enjoyed the citings of some ancient evergreen styles in there. Nice work!

htcnext2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:00 am Smorgasbord: Some tracks with original Wagtunes flavor! Enjoyed the citings of some ancient evergreen styles in there. Nice work!
Thanks for the listen and feedback. Smorgasbord was a lot of fun to do because I never knew what was coming next.

Thought I'd share this. My first mechanical royalties check.

Some info was whited out for security reasons.

It was a long time coming.

wagtunes wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:48 pm Thought I'd share this. My first mechanical royalties check.

Some info was whited out for security reasons.

It was a long time coming.
:clap: 8)

Return to “Music Cafe”