Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

I love Pigments 3 in theory.
It has great features, one of the best if not the best UI/UX for me.
No complaints about the preset browser, and even some really good third party banks.
And the upgrade prices have been no brainers :)

Yet I rarely use it....still trying to figure out why.. maybe I have an abundance of riches elsewhere. I know it use to be the sound didn't fully grab me, and that can still be part of it.

Of course if someone doesn't like the sound of Hive, that is their own personal taste and I have no issue with that, to each their own. I am finding though I use Hive less for EDM type stuff and more modular type sounds, which I think is where Urs is slowly but surely taking it.
rsp
sound sculptist

Fleer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:29 am Pigments and Unify are a match made in heaven. Also, the Spectrum sound packs are being unified as we post.
Great news about Spectrum!

And another beautiful thing about Unify is the CPU utilization! :tu:

Keep in mind that the Pigments GUI is by default not shown in Unify unless you open it up, so there is obviously less graphics demand. This is a design advantage for Unify when using greedy plugins.

For example, when I load up 6 Unify layers each with a different instance of a Pigments preset such as a pad, my CPU use is barely 40% even with 6 notes played at the same time. And the load seems to be spread evenly across all of my 6 CPU cores. One note only runs about 15% total CPU, and 3 notes at about 25% total CPU.

And the default 'Master Effects' in Unify do seem to add some warmth to the overall Unified Pigments sound.

I get a similar CPU usage pattern with both Unify as a standalone, or as a plugin in my DAW. There is slightly more CPU used with the DAW, presumably the necessary overhead from the DAW itself.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I guess Pigments stands for Polychrome Figments (of our imagination).

Polychrome synesthesia...

Do androids dream of polychrome sheep?

zzz00m wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:36 pm Do androids dream of polychrome sheep?
:tu:

I just bought Pigments V3 and supposedly I should get the Spectrum pack for free, but it didn't install with the plugin and when checking the website it tells me I can buy it for $20. How do I get this?

Azbest wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:24 pm I just bought Pigments V3 and supposedly I should get the Spectrum pack for free, but it didn't install with the plugin and when checking the website it tells me I can buy it for $20. How do I get this?

I had the same issue and contacted support. They got back to me in minutes and fixed the issue very quickly.

Oddly enough even though I have the Spectrum soundpack installed and authorized it still shows I can purchase the sets for $20. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Its not too clear on the web site, best is to look inside Pigments in the shop. If it says owned, all is good and you can install it. After that its listed as installed... It does not install automatically...

Is this worth getting for $69? I have massive x and ableton wavetable. Is it necessary to get pigments 3 even though I have two other wavetable synths?

It's not necessary but advisable 😉 It's a great bargain.

Pigments has the a new harmonic engine (additive) and it has already granular engine. Other than the character, workflow and the two engines, you are probably get fine with your synths.

Teksonik wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 pm You'd be well advised to try both demos to find out which one you like best or if you like them both.
Good advise. I’ll demo Pigments. Forgot to mention I also own Synthmaster 2 which has an additive engine. Iris 2 for the samplebased synthesis. Haven’t used them a lot, so also going to try them. Thinking of it: maybe I already have the ‘missing’ features that Pigments would give me.
At the beginning of something beautiful...

Fleer wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:56 pm Indeed. It’s definitely a taste thing. If you’re more into EDM, dance or industrial, I’d recommend Hive, though Pigments can do that too. Actually, it’s the harmonic engine of Pigments 3 that won me over. But I also love Kilohearts Phase Plant in the same vein. And do try Razor if you like Hive.
Guess you’re right. Taste is everything. I’m into all sorts of techno and lofi/psybient/psychill. Hive is a (according to many websites) better version of Sylenth, which is a frequently used synth by many dance producers. Just like Serum is. I see Pigments on a lot of YouTube channels which shows how to make (melodic) techno. I already own Synthmaster 2 for additive and Iris 2 for granular, so maybe Pigments is too redundant for me. It’s just that price of €69,- including the extra presets pack. That’s VERY tempting…

EnGee wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:19 am It's not necessary but advisable 😉 It's a great bargain.

<CUT> Other than the character, workflow and the two engines, you are probably get fine with your synths.
This is exactly why I’m tempted to buy Pigments: bargain and 1 workflow for all kinds of engines. Now I have to use Hive 2, Iris 2 and Synthmaster 2, which have different workflows.

I like very much the Pigments3, and the latest what the Arturia has done around V Collection the Analog Lab V, browser, fx etc.

But there seems to be some issues how the instruments, the use banks and the store are synched. E.g. fx bank labels, sometimes even the banks, disappear.
I was instructed first by the Arturia support to delete one,specific file in the presets folder, that didn’t do anything, then to re-install banks - next, I guess, they ask me to reinstall all the Arturia plugins.
I guess I just have to live without (most of the) the bank labels, so far.

Return to “Instruments”