Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Controversy: I work more efficiently with MX modulation system (assignation) than with Pigments. Should I call a doctor? It seems that I'm the only one.
For me, Pigments assignation system is confusing:
- I can't see straightaway to which modulations each parameter is assigned without opening the middle strip.
- If I forget to close this strip, by accident I can assign modulation to another parameter

In MX I see instantly to which three modulations certain parameter is assigned to and I can't assign modulation by mistake like in Pigments.

After weeks with Pigments my conclusion is:
- nice looking GUI with okish UX for mods;
- awesome Granular/Harmonic/Sample oscillators;
- mediocre filters and VA osc (their sonic footprint is not my thing at all);
- generous updates: others could learn from Arturia how to spoil their customers.

Because of these pros and cons I'm also not using Pigments as often as I should. Mostly because currently I don't use that much of non-VA sounds and for these I prefer other synths.

Good point. People who are primarily VA-oriented tend to look elsewhere.

pixel85 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:02 am - If I forget to close this strip, by accident I can assign modulation to another parameter
That's the most annoying thing for me too, apart from not being able to quickly assign a modulation without opening the strip.

Apart from that, it's really quick though.

zzz00m wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:33 pm Well let's just compare Pigments to every synth on the planet...
TBH i prefer Tranzistow. I guess i don't need visual feedback, although i do like it.

chk071 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:39 pm apart from not being able to quickly assign a modulation without opening the strip.
Don't you just click on the + next to a knob and then move the readout box on the main modulation strip?

Pigments 051021.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:51 am
Azbest wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:24 pm I just bought Pigments V3 and supposedly I should get the Spectrum pack for free, but it didn't install with the plugin and when checking the website it tells me I can buy it for $20. How do I get this?

I had the same issue and contacted support. They got back to me in minutes and fixed the issue very quickly.

Oddly enough even though I have the Spectrum soundpack installed and authorized it still shows I can purchase the sets for $20. :shrug:
It worked, thanks.

EnGee wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:58 pm Judging from the presets, Pigments is not for bass heavy music. But I haven't tried myself to tweak or make a bass preset yet 🤔
Nah, it works well. I like adding some True Iron / Softube Tape / Black Box HG-2 / Synth Warmer for more weight and, dare I say, "analog-ish-ness".

It's not Massive X tho.

Or Phase Plant.

Or Diva or Repro Or Tal J-8 or Rapid or Hive or DUNE 3 or...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Raise your hand if you believe that there is one synth to rule them all. An all-in-one powerhouse.

Otherwise, we surely will always need more than one synth in our folders to cover the bases (or basses).
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Teksonik wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm Or Diva or Repro Or Tal J-8 or Rapid or Hive or DUNE 3 or...... :shrug:
Exactly. And that would be my point, as I’m not looking for yet another bass synth. Got more than enough of them.

The browsers for picking out patches, wavetables, samples and so on in Pigments are really laid out nicely and make it easy to use.
Much nicer and quicker than many others I've used.

Fleer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:45 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:17 pm Or Diva or Repro Or Tal J-8 or Rapid or Hive or DUNE 3 or...... :shrug:
Exactly. And that would be my point, as I’m not looking for yet another bass synth. Got more than enough of them.
Yeah, Pigments doesn't replace things like Uhe synths or MassiveX, I just think that it's a friendly environment for more "organic" sounds. I guess that's the word that we're using to distinguish from VA type sounds. In fact, I'm also not impressed with Pigments as a VA synth. They could go a long way to making it more usable (to me) by making the third oscillator optionally a ring modulator.

But I'm repeating myself now...

As a matter of fact, I was getting bored with all those bass-heavy VA synths, as if synth development had come to a hold. Got fed up with yet another sawtooth implementation, time and again. Started thinking that synths were no longer made for musicians, but for accountants and process engineers.So Pigments 3 came in like a breath of fresh air. Not many organic synths around, sadly. Here's hoping Phase Plant will also continue in that direction (even though it's bass-heavy too, but the Suspension sound pack is showing what it can do with organic wavetables).

Fleer wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:41 pm Started thinking that synths were no longer made for musicians, but for accountants and process engineers.
Synths are made for customers who would buy it. Sound engineers have being making weird sounds with synthesizers since the 1960s.
Last edited by Spring Goose on Mon May 10, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”