PLASMONIC - A new synth from Brian Clevinger

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Absynth Plasmonic

gunnar wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:03 pm inspiring sound design video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVq7dYDOUk
thank you, I just streamed it again, I need to remember to post these links here before I go live

https://youtu.be/Rbb2fpDcCQk
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

J1000 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 am I've already reported those bugs (page 63), but there were no replies:

- Anyone noticed upper-frequency distortion introduced by multimode filter? Try passing a pure sine through it and playing some higher notes. If you can't hear it use FFT analyzer to see when and where it happens, but I think it is easily audible.

- Saturation introduces harsh "digital" distortion at lower gains. All three modes do that, in different amounts. If you push gain higher that distortion lowers and normal harmonic saturation gradually takes over.
I'm coming into this thread late, only started demoing Plasmonic the last couple of days. Was there any progress on either of these, a response from the developer that it's being looked into? I haven't tested the saturation but I did test for aliasing by running it at different sample rates. I can tell it gets cleaner if I run it through Metaplugin (synth version) with oversampling on, seems cleaner at 2x and more so at 4x. But this pushes the CPU very high.

I think overall Plasmonic sounds good and seems interesting. But it could sound even better if the filters (and any other parts contributing to aliasing) were internally oversampled (which would probably also give better performance than oversampling the entire synth in Metaplugin and definitely better than running the whole project at a higher rate.)

gunnar wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:15 am Yes. The programmer Brian wrote that it will evolve in time. No details, I guess because it's not decided yet.
But he confirmed more presets and more functions over time.
And he confirmed more plugins! He was thinking vaguely about a sample mangler.
My insta buy button is activated
I passed on Plasmonic but really looking forward the release of the Sample Mangler.
Any news/rumors on if any progress has been made?

No Infos.

I would estimate that its no more than an idea right now

^^^
:(

fold4 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:32 pm
J1000 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 am I've already reported those bugs (page 63), but there were no replies:

- Anyone noticed upper-frequency distortion introduced by multimode filter? Try passing a pure sine through it and playing some higher notes. If you can't hear it use FFT analyzer to see when and where it happens, but I think it is easily audible.

- Saturation introduces harsh "digital" distortion at lower gains. All three modes do that, in different amounts. If you push gain higher that distortion lowers and normal harmonic saturation gradually takes over.
I'm coming into this thread late, only started demoing Plasmonic the last couple of days. Was there any progress on either of these, a response from the developer that it's being looked into? I haven't tested the saturation but I did test for aliasing by running it at different sample rates. I can tell it gets cleaner if I run it through Metaplugin (synth version) with oversampling on, seems cleaner at 2x and more so at 4x. But this pushes the CPU very high.

I think overall Plasmonic sounds good and seems interesting. But it could sound even better if the filters (and any other parts contributing to aliasing) were internally oversampled (which would probably also give better performance than oversampling the entire synth in Metaplugin and definitely better than running the whole project at a higher rate.)
It’s just one of those things many developers haven’t caught up on that are holding us back. It’s 2021, people all around are hyped about expressiveness and we’re still stone-set on using 128 steps of midi lolwat.
Just an industry thing, if everyone accepted oversampling as a usual, expected requirement, then it would come. Now it’s just considered “a feature”. Tough luck for all of us.
Brzzzzzzt.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:35 pm
gunnar wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:15 am Yes. The programmer Brian wrote that it will evolve in time. No details, I guess because it's not decided yet.
But he confirmed more presets and more functions over time.
And he confirmed more plugins! He was thinking vaguely about a sample mangler.
My insta buy button is activated
I passed on Plasmonic but really looking forward the release of the Sample Mangler.
Any news/rumors on if any progress has been made?
Check this out:
Your favorite sound/sample mangling applications?
viewtopic.php?t=551597

So, it gone very silent here.....

It's the return-day on Memorial Day weekend in USA. Can't speak for other nations. Those who aren't on the road, are grillin and chilln with family and friends, placing flowers and tears at cemetaries, doing the prep for summer gardens, fishing, golfing, and generally out defeating the lockdowns. No worries...
Cheers

Cinebient wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:04 pm So, it gone very silent here.....
What are you waiting to hear about?

simmo75 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:20 pm
I know you are not asking me, but I personally keep wondering about any news of an update or any new projects. But I always do for any software I really appreciate.

killmaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 pm
I know you are not asking me, but I personally keep wondering about any news of an update or any new projects. But I always do for any software I really appreciate.
It feels like a finished instrument to me, I love it.

simmo75 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm
killmaster wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:09 pm
It feels like a finished instrument to me, I love it.
Good to hear. Got me thinking. I like the idea of looking at instruments as complete as they are.

I would like to see more soundsets released for this beautiful synth. I have Plethora by Yuli Yolo which is the only one I know of. Are there any other soundsets out there?

mountainmaster wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm I would like to see more soundsets released for this beautiful synth. I have Plethora by Yuli Yolo which is the only one I know of. Are there any other soundsets out there?
Plethora is a great soundset.

Return to “Instruments”