DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

oyrgawd wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyone else having trouble with their Push 2 and the Bitwig 4 beta? Bitwig sees the Push's MIDI ports, but the Power button on the Push panel of Settings/Controllers is greyed out and the Push won't go beyond its Ableton logo screen.
I wonder if the reason why i'm not getting that issue is because my Push 2 updated when I was using Ableton Live recently as I go back and forth. It may be completely unrelated, but that's the only thing I can think of as to why my Push 2 is working perfectly fine in Bitwig v3.3 and in v4 Beta 1. Maybe try opening ableton live and updating on the random chance that is the lucky fix. Then, try all the restart computer type things. I literally have issues with my Push 2 in Ableton (of all DAWs) where sometimes I have to restart my entire computer to get the Push 2 to connect. Right now, my Push 2 is more stable in Bitwig than in Ableton Live oddly enough.

ozias_leduc wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:14 am
oyrgawd wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm Anyone else having trouble with their Push 2 and the Bitwig 4 beta? Bitwig sees the Push's MIDI ports, but the Power button on the Push panel of Settings/Controllers is greyed out and the Push won't go beyond its Ableton logo screen.
Yep same thing is happening to me.

(I also have an APC40 mk2 and that's actually still working fine with DrivenByMoss)
USB lookup is currently broken on Macos and Linux with the Beta. I already reported it to Bitwig.

Irena wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:32 pm Hi Jürgen--I've been using your Bitwig script for with my Maschine MK3 for years and love it. Thank you so much! Recently I bought a Komplete Kontrol A49 to use with Bitwig as well. Your script is working great for volume/pan/transport functions. Are device remote controls and the BW browser also supported for the A series? My "Plug-In" and "Browser" buttons on the A49 don't light up when I press them while in BWS, and the 8 knobs continue to control track volume/pan no matter what I try. Do I need to create a separate Flexi script for device control with the A series, or does this sound like a user installation error? Thanks for your help, and for all of your amazing work.
The features of the A-series is pretty limited (which is true as well for the K-series). NI created these to be used with their Komplete or Maschine devices and nothing else. On the K-series I could at least sneak in a workaround for parameters which is sadly not possible on the A-series.

jaaypeso24 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 am Hey Jürgen, I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. This may have already been mentioned previously (so apologies if i'm adding on to something that is known already) but the Launchpad Pro Mk3 isn't working properly and has a number of issues on Bitwig 3.3 (I also confirmed the same issues exist on Bitwig 4 Beta 1 as i'm beta testing that as well. The main issue being that some of the midi notes don't trigger, while others do. Also, the settings in the Studio I/O panel don't change/update the controller. The weird thing is that my Launchpad X from Novation works perfectly fine in both versions of Bitwig. Same for my Push 2 as I have no issues with that controller either. I'm using the most recently released controller script you released btw. Let me know if I can help troubleshoot on my end if you don't happen to have the Launchpad Pro Mk3 handy. Thanks as always.
Didn't notice any issues when testing it. Did you check to have the latest Firmware installed with the Novation Components App?

moss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:57 am
jaaypeso24 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:08 am Hey Jürgen, I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. This may have already been mentioned previously (so apologies if i'm adding on to something that is known already) but the Launchpad Pro Mk3 isn't working properly and has a number of issues on Bitwig 3.3 (I also confirmed the same issues exist on Bitwig 4 Beta 1 as i'm beta testing that as well. The main issue being that some of the midi notes don't trigger, while others do. Also, the settings in the Studio I/O panel don't change/update the controller. The weird thing is that my Launchpad X from Novation works perfectly fine in both versions of Bitwig. Same for my Push 2 as I have no issues with that controller either. I'm using the most recently released controller script you released btw. Let me know if I can help troubleshoot on my end if you don't happen to have the Launchpad Pro Mk3 handy. Thanks as always.
Didn't notice any issues when testing it. Did you check to have the latest Firmware installed with the Novation Components App?
The firmware was absolutely the issue as apparently I never updated it!!! Such a rookie mistake on my part :dog:

The problem was I updated the firmware on my Launchpad X when I got it and thought I also did that for the Launchpad Pro at the same time, but apparently I didn't. I just tested in 4.0 Beta and its working perfectly with the most recent firmware!! Sorry for the confusion.

One small thing I want to mention to other Launchpad Pro Mk3 Users is that if you want to change the sensitivity of your pads using the new options in the Firmware V1.2 update you just have to do it outside of Bitwig (close it), hold the setup key and press the 2nd track button to get to the option to edit the sensitivity and velocity curve. Then you can change it between 4 levels of sensitivity (which is useful because the default is the highest sensitivity and is too sensitive for my taste). It retains those settings in Bitwig with Jurgen's script as you would expect. You all may already know this but I saw it in the changelog and it was definitely something I was glad to see implemented.

Thanks again for you great work, Jürgen! :tu:

I have some suggestions for the Akai Fire:
  • As mentioned before I'm missing the Notes Audion function for the sequencers: entering a step/note plays the note simultaneously. Perhaps this function could be linked directly to the Bitwig function (the little speaker icon-button in Bitwig)?
  • Taping a tempo with Shirt + Drums is a torture because of the mechanically very hard to press click switches. A normal soft pad button in combintation with an option switch or something would be better and the tapped tempo more accurate.
  • Since there is no additional software to change the touch sensitivity of the pads (as with other controllers), it would be nice to have a sensitivity setting in the controller prefs ... or at least the possibility to set a minimum velocity value: if I press a pad too lightly, this value is always transmitted ... if I press harder, the normal variable velocity values should kick in again. This feature is probably also very nice for other pad controllers - as specially on working with drums.
Thanks for your attention. :ud:

Hello Jürgen,

first of all thank you for all the work you're putting into DrivenByMoss. I just got my Novation Launchpad Pro Mk3 and I'm struggling to navigate via the arrow keys in Session mode. The view seems to randomly jump between groups / sub-scenes, scenes and effect tracks. Probably related, pads in the bird's eye view don't seem to represent 8x8 sections. Instead, they only seem to select rows within the current "branch" of the track tree.

I suspect my nested track setup to be the culprit. Is this a known limitation, potential bug, or am I missing something?

UPDATE: Just tested this with a new project, and without groups, it's working just fine. As soon as I start grouping tracks, both the bird's eye view and cursor navigation start "misbehaving".

Kind regards,

dezwo

E.D.L. wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:02 pm Thanks again for you great work, Jürgen! :tu:

I have some suggestions for the Akai Fire:
  • As mentioned before I'm missing the Notes Audion function for the sequencers: entering a step/note plays the note simultaneously. Perhaps this function could be linked directly to the Bitwig function (the little speaker icon-button in Bitwig)?
  • Taping a tempo with Shirt + Drums is a torture because of the mechanically very hard to press click switches. A normal soft pad button in combintation with an option switch or something would be better and the tapped tempo more accurate.
  • Since there is no additional software to change the touch sensitivity of the pads (as with other controllers), it would be nice to have a sensitivity setting in the controller prefs ... or at least the possibility to set a minimum velocity value: if I press a pad too lightly, this value is always transmitted ... if I press harder, the normal variable velocity values should kick in again. This feature is probably also very nice for other pad controllers - as specially on working with drums.
Velocity is pretty unusable on this device. You can activate a fixed one:

**Shift+Step** - Toggle Accent on/off. If enabled, the velocity of the pads is ignored and the accent value, which can be configured in the settings, is used instead.

moss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:04 pm
E.D.L. wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:02 pm
Velocity is pretty unusable on this device. You can activate a fixed one:

**Shift+Step** - Toggle Accent on/off. If enabled, the velocity of the pads is ignored and the accent value, which can be configured in the settings, is used instead.

I checked this in Midi Monitor on Mac. You are right - values below 32 are not possible and with firmer pressure the velocity is difficult to control. I guess I expected too much from the device ... you get what you pay for, right? ;)

But I remembered there is a nice tool on Mac called MidiPipe where you can manipulate the Velocity on the fly. I will try this.

Thanks, Jürgen!

The results with MidiPipe are Interessting ... probably an useful workaround 8)
Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-01 um 08.08.35.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hello Juergen,

It is really not a dealbreaker but on the Novation SL MK3 script there is probably a typo. Pressing the options button gives you the Undo/Redo, and project scroll buttons, tap, metronome on/off. The project buttons are written like:

<<Projec and Project>

Was it not your intention to write it like:

<Project and Project>

Thanks,

First of all thousand thx to your great work, Jürgen.

Qeustions to maschine mk3

If i map a knob in user-mode, this knob is than not usable for the "script-functions" anymore. Do i something wrong or is this normal behavior. It seems also, that ONE Knob is always the same, dosnt matter which user-page i selected????

I would like to have that always the pitch up/dwn will appear if press ONEtime. Is that possible?
I found this line
</led>
<pad subtype="trigger" version="1" id="Pad14">
<note>49</note>
<channel>0</channel>
<min>0</min>
<max>127</max>
<default>0</default>
<behavior>gate</behavior>
<reaction>ondown</reaction>
</pad>
<led version="1" id="Pad14IDX">
<display type="0">
<unit color-type="1" color-mode="3" color-on-index="2" color-off-index="1" />
</display>
<note>49</note>
<channel>0</channel>
<min>0</min>
<max>127</max>
<default>0</default>
</led>

I changed the order
</led>
<pad subtype="trigger" version="1" id="Pad14">
<note>49</note>
<channel>0</channel>
<default>0</default>
<min>0</min>
<max>127</max>

<behavior>gate</behavior>
<reaction>ondown</reaction>
</pad>
<led version="1" id="Pad14IDX">
<display type="0">
<unit color-type="1" color-mode="3" color-on-index="2" color-off-index="1" />
</display>
<note>49</note>
<channel>0</channel>
<default>0</default>
<min>0</min>
<max>127</max>

</led>

(yeah, i wrote it right, with deleting the empty lines... just for you, to see) But its still the same behavior:-(
BTW: you can set the strip to whatever default you want, if you use the TOUCH rider and action on release (in my case middle, so set the values for 64). Well, this also given for the other 3 modes but a middle-pitch seems the most importand for me.

Where can i find the document settings?
Last edited by kukident-youth on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

questionaire wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:25 pm Hello Juergen,

It is really not a dealbreaker but on the Novation SL MK3 script there is probably a typo. Pressing the options button gives you the Undo/Redo, and project scroll buttons, tap, metronome on/off. The project buttons are written like:

<<Projec and Project>

Was it not your intention to write it like:

<Project and Project>

Thanks,
Thanks!

kukident-youth wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:42 am 1.
If i map a knob in user-mode, this knob is than not usable for the "script-functions" anymore. Do i something wrong or is this normal behavior. It seems also, that ONE Knob is always the same, dosnt matter which user-page i selected????
Actually a bug. Will be fixed in the next update!
kukident-youth wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:42 am 2.
I would like to have that always the pitch up/dwn will appear if press ONEtime. Is that possible?
I found this line
BTW: you can set the strip to whatever default you want, if you use the TOUCH rider and action on release (in my case middle, so set the values for 64). Well, this also given for the other 3 modes but a middle-pitch seems the most importand for me.
Uh, another bug. Seems the template was wrong, will be fixed as well.
I also will add that the modes will be remembered when switching between them.
Sadly, up to my knowledge, you cannot change the ribbon LED modes in MIDI mode, so I chose the bar mode.
kukident-youth wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:42 am 3.
Where can i find the document settings?
In the right hand pane under the studio I/O pane.

moss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:51 am

(I also have an APC40 mk2 and that's actually still working fine with DrivenByMoss)
USB lookup is currently broken on Macos and Linux with the Beta. I already reported it to Bitwig.
Does anyone know if this has been fixed with beta 2?

auricle wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:34 pm
moss wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:51 am

Does anyone know if this has been fixed with beta 2?
Yes!

Return to “Controller Scripting”