MPC Live 2 fun factor

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

roman.i wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 pm Thanks, and what do you think about the Octatrack mk2? Looks like fun to use, even that It doesn’t support overbridge and cv outputs…
I've got 4 Elektron boxes. Never bought the Octatrack cause when I played with it in the shop (pre-Covid) it had too much complexity and button combos for me. I knew it was past my personal threshold where the complexity gets in the way. Someone else, it may be perfect for them. I would rather have a Digitakt. Even though it is much less capable, it is more immediate and fun and I think it sounds better without effort.

I would have purchased the Digitakt to go with my other Elektron boxes except I pre-ordered the S2400 which is also an 8 voice sampler/groovebox.

roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am By fun I mean engaging, a device that has a fast workflow, sounds good but limiting in a good way. So after a hour or two I’ll have a result.
With the price range of some of the gear you have asked about, I think it is worth a look at the S2400. I don't have mine yet (approx 4-6 weeks until it arrives) but from watching the various videos, it looks hands on fun to me in a way that almost nothing else in that category does. Nice spacious size with the faders and main controls having plenty of room.

If you need something that has midi tracks to drive other gear, the S2400 doesn't do that... yet. There is some talk to add that in a firmware update, but who knows when or if that will happen. The firmware development has been impressive over the past months as I've waited, but I still wouldn't buy it based on future feature expectations.

EDIT: I just saw an upcoming firmware video that shows midi tracks, full midi CC support and audio over USB (mains plus the 8 individual tracks) so it will soon be able to drive other synths.

If someone orders one today, it is looking like a Sept/Oct arrival time. After the current run is sold, then future availability is unknown as some parts are not available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPvmgNTZhU

Thanks for help. Finally got a black Octatrack mk2 :)

roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:55 pm Thanks for help. Finally got a black Octatrack mk2 :)
Good Luck! It's deep kit- watch a ton of YT videos, that how I got started with it!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

roman.i wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:55 pm Thanks for help. Finally got a black Octatrack mk2 :)
:tu:

@pdxindy

Remind you of anything! Retro 12 bit drum samplers all the rage it seems!

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2021 ... -like-one/
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:04 pm @pdxindy

What other 12 bit drum samplers are coming out?

This one is a unique Behringer box, but made to look like the LinnDrum outside. Odd name... LameDrum :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 pm

This one is a unique Behringer box, but made to look like the LinnDrum outside. Odd name... LameDrum :hihi:
I was kidding….not many retro sampling 12 bit drum machines around, I am surprised there will be 2 options! This one may end up being quite good but I reckon several years before it hits the shops based on the 909!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:31 pm
pdxindy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:51 pm

I was kidding….not many retro sampling 12 bit drum machines around, I am surprised there will be 2 options! This one may end up being quite good but I reckon several years before it hits the shops based on the 909!
Yeah, it looks like it could be interesting. But too far away to think about!

In the meanwhile, my S2400 should arrive in 4-5 weeks... In the next firmware update, Isla is adding midi tracks to drive other gear and also audio over usb plus the main track controls will send midi. Isla is adding undo too.

roman.i wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:11 pm Hi

Have anyone tried this machine and can give a review how fun it is (or not)?
Yes - I've got the MPC Live 2, and it's absolutely 100% fun to use and produce on... once you learn Akai's workflow on the current gen MPC's. Full disclosure: I started out with an MPC Touch, traded it in for the first-gen MPC Live, and then sold that to get the MPC Live 2 when it came out last year.

Aside from Akai's Force, the MPC (Live 2, One) are some of the most powerful mobile production boxes on the market. What they do, they do extremely well - and Akai is frequently updating them (for free!) and adding new features and improving them. If you take a look at the original MPC Live thread at Gearslutz, it's up to 900+ pages and keeps going. The MPC is one of the most popular hardware production machines around there, and for good reason. Over 27,000 replies and 2.4 million views.

That's not to say there aren't criticisms and ways it could be improved (nothing is perfect after all), but I would suggest you give one a try for yourself. Just purchase one from a reputable retailer that has a very liberal return policy, so if it turns out you don't like it, you can easily send it back and get a refund.

Booo! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

If battery operation, speaker, hard drive, and extra outs arent important consider an MPC One, the extra buttons and its general layout are a bit better for workflow. Plus it saves a few bucks.

kcearl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:05 pm If battery operation, speaker, hard drive, and extra outs arent important consider an MPC One, the extra buttons and its general layout are a bit better for workflow. Plus it saves a few bucks.
Welcome to KVR :hihi:

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 pm
kcearl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:05 pm If battery operation, speaker, hard drive, and extra outs arent important consider an MPC One, the extra buttons and its general layout are a bit better for workflow. Plus it saves a few bucks.
Since 2012 :D

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:40 pm
roman.i wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am By fun I mean engaging, a device that has a fast workflow, sounds good but limiting in a good way. So after a hour or two I’ll have a result.
With the price range of some of the gear you have asked about, I think it is worth a look at the S2400. I don't have mine yet (approx 4-6 weeks until it arrives) but from watching the various videos, it looks hands on fun to me in a way that almost nothing else in that category does. Nice spacious size with the faders and main controls having plenty of room.

If you need something that has midi tracks to drive other gear, the S2400 doesn't do that... yet. There is some talk to add that in a firmware update, but who knows when or if that will happen. The firmware development has been impressive over the past months as I've waited, but I still wouldn't buy it based on future feature expectations.

EDIT: I just saw an upcoming firmware video that shows midi tracks, full midi CC support and audio over USB (mains plus the 8 individual tracks) so it will soon be able to drive other synths.

If someone orders one today, it is looking like a Sept/Oct arrival time. After the current run is sold, then future availability is unknown as some parts are not available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPvmgNTZhU
I had the S2400 before it moved on to its next "owner"

Lovely bit of kit, well made, easy to use....would never replace any of the akais for me but great as an additional sampler

kcearl wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:32 pm
pdxindy wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 pm
Since 2012 :D
Yeah... plan B :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”