Care to list your Plugin Alliance gems?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:16 pm haha i don't even own a tube amp!
Haven't heard that one in a while! :lol:

I like the Unfiltered Audio stuff, Gate, Triad, Byome, Lion synth, DS Thorn are both really good and interesting synths,Elysia Phil's Cascade great sound, bx_oberhausen synthis good for vintage sounds. My favourite is the Knif Audio Knifonium synth, it's fantastic IMO, just love the sound, got a huge sweet spot range, its inspiring.

I joined up to Plugin Alliance after reading about them in various forums, ended up getting a voucher when one of the sales was on and it was just too good a deal to resist, they got me hooked a bit from there. I am not collecting the range or anything, but anything Im specifically interested in becomes irresistible when they combine vouchers with already low prices. I haven't paid much for any one item, not because the items aren't good enough but because I have a very low budget indeed. Every little bit adds up, they are getting my money bit by bit, it's almost like getting a bundle mega deal, but one piece at a time.

mixtur.se wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm bx_refeinment - It actually works, and there´s nothing that does the quite same thing
it's a fixed 3khz filter :ud:

beely wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:14 pm
jancivil wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:46 pmthis is a sub-filter, something called 'bx_solo' and a 'V3 player'. There is no chance I bought them, so they must be via Presonus.
That stuff is free, everyone with a PA account gets a few freebies to start (nothing particularly exciting).
could be I have an account there, my memory does not serve very well.
sometimes I grab something, looks good, but it's like putting a drink someone gave you that isn't what you'd buy in the freezer to make it ice cold , and forgetting it's there
Last edited by jancivil on Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beely wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:15 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:16 pm haha i don't even own a tube amp!
Haven't heard that one in a while! :lol:
meta

Ploki wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 pm
mixtur.se wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:15 pm bx_refeinment - It actually works, and there´s nothing that does the quite same thing
C'mon.... of course it's not just a 3kHz filter.... even if that was part of it.

_leras wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:52 am
Ploki wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:04 pm
C'mon.... of course it's not just a 3kHz filter.... even if that was part of it.
Sorry i'll break it down:
- Damping is gain reduction of a 3khz notch filter.
- Soft/Hard adjusts two fixed Q values. Soft is wideQ, hard is narrow Q.
- Dynamics adjusts dynamic behaviour of said notch filter (Bit like ProQ3 but likely worse)
- Oscillator is an LFO that modulates "Damping" (so gain) (I have no f**king clue why is that useful in any shape of form in this scenario)
- Saturation is a simple clipper/waveshaper post filter, non-oversampled so it aliases like f**k.
- Presence is a high-Q high-shelf boost post waveshaper, @roughly 6Khz.

Everything that Refinement does can be done with two bands in ProQ3 + a VERY simple waveshaper.
It's list price is 99$.

It's actually an amazing metaphor for PA.

I find it hilarious that people in PA Facebook echochamber compare this to soothe. It's like comparing a wheel lug nut to a car.

So lets see what PA says about this:
The Harshness Control allows you to eliminate unpleasant high frequencies from complex signals and during mastering. Based on M/S (Mid/Side) processing, it imparts a tube-like analog smoothness and tames unpleasant digital harshness.

Easily Target Problem Areas

With simple controls, bx_refinement allows you to quickly identify and discard offending frequencies. (by that they mean one single frequency)

Dynamic & Groovy

The oscillation option creates nice warming effects. (lol, apparently warmth is now 3KHz oscillation)
:D

:party:

Since 2019, my PA gems are:

Lindell 80 neve
Acme Opticom - for drum snortage
Neold V76U73 - for vintage tones
Bassdude - guitar niceness
Lindell compressors - the goodening of tone.

For any folks who are genuinely curious, Michael White, a pro mixer on youtube has great demos and reviews of several Plugin Alliance plugins.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mpginsidervideo/videos

So uh, how can I say this gently, um, the plugins are valuable. Maybe even more valuable than the astonishing insights brought into this thread by certain members quite eager to, ahem, repeatedly share their opinions. :clap:

To the opinion sharing folks who wish to compare PA with Waves: my first Waves plugin was purchased in the 80s: a Q-10; my second was the L2 maximizer. I think the total cost for those 2 was about $900. As time went on I purchased the Abbey Road collection for $$$ as well as others for $$$. Now Waves wants me to pay for the pleasure of using their plugins with system updates since they've decided to rent their plugins to everyone. Gotta say, it's a pleasure doing business with Soundtoys, Softube, Plugin Alliance, Eventide and others, since they choose not to completely f@*k an audio person silly, and on an ongoing basis.

uraniumbilly wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pmmy first Waves plugin was purchased in the 80s: a Q-10; my second was the L2 maximizer.
I read that, and though "Hmm, 80s seems a bit early for Waves...":-

"Waves began in October 1992 with the introduction of the first audio plugin, the Q10 Paragraphic equalizer. "

Good post though! :tu:

^^ Yep, It's been 29 years. Waddya gonna do.

uraniumbilly wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:54 pm :party:

Since 2019, my PA gems are:

Lindell 80 neve
Acme Opticom - for drum snortage
Neold V76U73 - for vintage tones
Bassdude - guitar niceness
Lindell compressors - the goodening of tone.

So uh, how can I say this gently, um, the plugins are valuable. Maybe even more valuable than the astonishing insights brought into this thread by certain members quite eager to, ahem, repeatedly share their opinions. :clap:
Neold and Acme were coded by ray, i said in my repeated opinion that his work is great.
Never said that there arent great plugs, i said that PA sucks, that they’re not maintained, and that Dirk is a dick.
Doesnt mean that there arent some great sounding plugs there (and more than a few lemons)

Re: waves
Absolutely, but that’s also how i see PA

Here's a really good PA demo of Neold V76U73

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NxViVBas54

At one point in the demo, I believe it's toward the end, the mix gets very interesting.

@uraniumbilly
Bassdude is indeed nice, it even works nicely with single coil guitars.
It was developed by Nembrini

Ploki wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am It's actually an amazing metaphor for PA.

I find it hilarious that people in PA Facebook echochamber compare this to soothe. It's like comparing a wheel lug nut to a car.
Well I guess they aren't shy on reusing code. This one doesn't appeal to me hugely, but I thought the saturation was a key part, rather than a 3k notch filter? You sure it's that limited?

I only have a few pa plug ins, but I very happy with the ones I have. Great saturation, good strips some great, decent and unique synths, and bx_digital v3

_leras wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:43 am
Ploki wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am It's actually an amazing metaphor for PA.

Well I guess they aren't shy on reusing code. This one doesn't appeal to me hugely, but I thought the saturation was a key part, rather than a 3k notch filter? You sure it's that limited?

I only have a few pa plug ins, but I very happy with the ones I have. Great saturation, good strips some great, decent and unique synths, and bx_digital v3
They aren’t no, Bx Masterdesk has the same game changing algo but with two frequencies.
Also, 3 ssl consoles and 2098 share the same saturation algo.

Ive listed a few that i think are actually great.
Not sure what’s special about bx digital, but there’s nothing wrong with it either.

Return to “Effects”