Xhip Synthesizer v8.1 (alpha & RC)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Xhip Effects Xhip Synthesizer

New alpha version r1214 http://xhip.net/alpha/
  • More framework improvements, more SSE stuff is used to speed up redraw.
  • Knobs and LEDs now use HQ oversampler (needs tweaks, possible bugs.)
  • Parameter values displayed on mouse hover (no on/off options yet.)
  • Menu in the effects tab now works (no confirmation dialogs, careful!)
Beware of bugs since so many framework and library changes have been made there is always a risk I broke something. The HQ knobs might take a bit longer on initial startup at various scaling factors.

Still need to implement the preset effect bypass switch which is next on the list. (Immediate next! Unless I stumble into a trap and get side-tracked when I attempt it :))
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Linux please:)

Loads instantly here - looking forward to properly testing it! I can't remember: Is the GUI bitmap or vector based - if the latter is there a resize option ?

Kott wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:56 am Linux please:)
It's pretty hard because this was another major change, but I'll get it done eventually.
mcbpete wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 am Loads instantly here - looking forward to properly testing it! I can't remember: Is the GUI bitmap or vector based - if the latter is there a resize option ?
It's both: everything you see now is "vector"ish, but the text, knobs, LEDs and some other elements are pre-rendered (by the plug-in in real-time) into bitmaps. You can think of that as just a caching optimization to speed up redraw, but it also means it's possible to customize knobstrips, fonts and so on by loading other bitmaps instead.

Right-click on the logo to get the scaling options. Those get saved with your "init state" when you save it; read the manual ( http://xhip.net/synth/ ) for how that works and let me know if you feel anything ought to be added or clarified.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

Hi, I tested the new version using LinVst plugin wrapper, and xhip works fine in linux Reaper 5.9, so probably also in other linux daws.

It also works in the win Reaper in linux wine-staging 5.10, tested in Ubuntu Studio 19.10, Reaper 5.9x

I like that the effects in the xhip Control panel are maintained while auditioning the presets. Both useful musically, and for hearing how an effect chain may be suitable in various kinds of preset styles.
Some rectifier after tremolo? 8) :hyper:

aciddose wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:22 am [*]Parameter values displayed on mouse hover
:clap:
Thank you ! :tu:
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I've fixed and rebuilt the Linux version, it's actually r1220 now but I've left the version r1214 since nothing really changed (I hope!) from the Windows version.

Awesome! Thank you Aciddose!

Hi, how are your going?

aciddose wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:45 pm
I've fixed and rebuilt the Linux version, it's actually r1220 now but I've left the version r1214 since nothing really changed (I hope!) from the Windows version.
Mac please:)

Kott wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm Hi, how are your going?
I haven't spent too much focused time and effort on Xhip yet but things have moved ahead slowly. I believe the last public thing I did was update the alpha page todo to be more accurate.

That is as follows (just the top few items):
- Preset effect bypass switch and copy/exchange.
This should be very simple, just a switch to disable processing of preset effects. The active preset will always load/save its effects as this greatly simplifies the code. The bypass switch will be a global/control parameter and saved in the state/projects. In cases where the same set of effects should apply to any preset, the global effects will need to be used.
To facilitate this, options "copy global to preset", "copy preset to global" and "exchange global and preset" will be offered. With the extra space now available on the GUI it is possible to increase the number of available effect slots or add more advanced features in the future.
- Complete all effect changes.
Some prototype effect features need to be polished and finalized before release.
- Update effect preset imports.
Some changes to a few effects were made which require mostly testing to ensure older projects load correctly. This will be relatively easy to accomplish by creating a project using all the old effects and loading it while debugging to identify any issues.
So essentially the next thing on the list for me was to update the effects and ensure they load/save correctly. That was held up by changes to the GUI that I just haven't bothered to come back to verify yet.

The top-of-the-list issue is knobs and other bitmapstrips need to have a "center point" variable to allow them to be positioned accurately when trimmed. Since we need to know the actual width/height it is possible to take the bitmap size and center point and undo the trim... but that doesn't apply to objects without a true center. So identifying what data is needed exactly and testing it is my current to-do. (Seems four coordinate pairs, need to do further testing.)

As usual most of my real investment in my code has been on other projects which are all loosely tied back to Xhip and Effects in some way; so it's just a matter of time and we'll see a big set of improvements come out.

Good! Just know that we love Xhip and your Effects.

My idea for the effects bypass is shown here. I still have a bit of work to do to ensure it works well and saves in the state but that should be minimal effort. The bypass functionality does already work correctly and it's possible to copy and exchange between global/preset effects.

Funny knobs :D

But it's a bit hard to tell where the marker on the cap is, depending on the setting. Especially with the turquoise and yellow knobs.

Is there a rendering benefit when using caps with 7 riffles?
360° / 7 = 51.4285714286° 8)

Return to “Instruments”