Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:12 am All I do to optimise my Windows 10 computer is change to the Dark Theme, install my software and pin things to Start.
same here, pretty much. :tu:

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am
GaryG wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:14 am Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.
I really can't recommend using such apps/scripts. You won't believe how many support requests in Windows forum are due to a messed up system by such uninstallers/system "optimizers"/what not applications.

Some apps are definitive not recommended to uninstall. The games are probably no problem. Other apps, which are connected to some services, or other installed apps, not so.

That's the whole reason why people are complaining about stability of their Windows systems: They mess everything up themselves.
This exactly :tu:

Well, you can always object that Windows may be a little too easy to mess up :hihi: Or maybe I just have been particular good at it, including turning off background services I deffo shouldn't have.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

I'm sure I could mess up your Mac OS if I wanted to. :hihi:

I find that plausible enough to consider it unnecessary to test. But still, it could be a special talent of yours, and not the Mac as such :D
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am
GaryG wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:14 am Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.
I really can't recommend using such apps/scripts. You won't believe how many support requests in Windows forum are due to a messed up system by such uninstallers/system "optimizers"/what not applications.
Well I work in ICT and we use them to streamline our users (>2000) laptops when necessary, never had an issue. Given, we know what we're doing and understand the registry changes they make, would never just run a random one off the web without knowing what it does.

Certainly not necessary for audio use (though I guess there's an argument for killing cortana, onedrive syncs etc)(though not really advisable to record to a onedrive synced folder anyway). But an easy way to clear the clutter even if it's only a visual annoyance.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 amI'm sure I could mess up your Mac OS if I wanted to. :hihi:
No need, Apple does that for you at the factory because you, the user, can't be trusted.

A lot of those games and other 3rd party tiles you see on a new install aren't even installed, they are basically just ads that will take you to a site where you can purchase and/or download them if you want. So, most of the time, you can just remove the live tile and you're schweet.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:17 am
A lot of those games and other 3rd party tiles you see on a new install aren't even installed, they are basically just ads that will take you to a site where you can purchase and/or download them if you want.
Wait until Microsoft realizes they can resell that real estate over and over. It will be called "the game of the month" or some shit and sold to you as a benefit. New tiles will appear dynamically and you'll have to hunt down the specific "update" to remove to nuke the feature. That will work until it shows up again in another update.

Microsoft doesn't do that, OEM's do. Microsoft is shit at selling anything, they appear to have no concept of how the consumer market works.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:04 am Microsoft doesn't do that, OEM's do. Microsoft is shit at selling anything, they appear to have no concept of how the consumer market works.
Fair point, but, Microsoft does do it, even if only in the context of selling their own machines. I didn't install those tiles on my Surface and I didn't install the OS either.

Moreover, clicking on them often automatically installs the app without confirmation. Thus if you try to remove it but don't long-hold properly you can end up installing it.

There is certainly no accounting for stupidity.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:03 am There is certainly no accounting for stupidity.
I'll take your word for it.

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:17 am
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 amI'm sure I could mess up your Mac OS if I wanted to. :hihi:
No need, Apple does that for you at the factory because you, the user, can't be trusted.
You know what? Even with a minimum amount of third party software installed, and completely standard user behavior, Mac OS and the software on it crashed a lot more than Windows whenever I used a Mac. But, shh, don't tell anyone, otherwise the mystic house of cards about the so much more stable and professional OS quickly folds up. ;)

I also won't tell anyone that the HDD in a relative's brand new Macbook went kaput after 6 months of use. Nope, I won't tell anyone...

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:04 am Microsoft doesn't do that, OEM's do. Microsoft is shit at selling anything, they appear to have no concept of how the consumer market works.
Yet they have a net worth exceeding 1 trillion dollars...how did it all go so wrong for them?! :dog:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:38 am
Yet they have a net worth exceeding 1 trillion dollars...how did it all go so wrong for them?! :dog:
he's not claiming they don't have a successful business. just not so much in the consumer space. they make the vast majority of their money by selling to enterprise.
Last edited by JamminFool on Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”