Support Audio Units

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simmo75 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:42 pm
antic604 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:25 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:36 pm...pc twatary aside.
It's literally an Apple user who brought PC up, so perhaps reconsider what you just wrote.
But it's still valid antic604, it's totally reasonable to have all the standard plugin formats for both platforms, I'm sure if Windows had there own plugin format, Windows users would be pissed off too, right? Is it really that hard to offer customers the choice? Personally, I don't think so. All DAW devs should try and offer all formats. It would make the world a better place :)
Standard = supported by all platforms. VSTs run on Win, Linux and MacOS. AUs only on the latter. They've 4 or 5 devs. They should allocate their time to much more important stuff, at least for now.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

simmo75 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:42 pmBut it's still valid antic604, it's totally reasonable to have all the standard plugin formats for both platforms, I'm sure if Windows had there own plugin format, Windows users would be pissed off too, right? Is it really that hard to offer customers the choice?
Personally, I don't think so. All DAW devs should try and offer all formats. It would make the world a better place :)
Geez... It would make the world a better place if so many people didn't spend their time trying to tell other people what to do. Seems like many people hate freedom and want to force everyone into some bland conformity.

antic604 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:50 pm My only point is Bitwig - considering it has 4-5 developers - should focus on things that bring the highest bang to for buck, i.e. support the most widely used market standards. Which in terms of plugins is VSTs. And their choice to support VST3 early on, 32-bit bridging and sandboxing was much more impactful, than their choice to drop AU.
Yeah again that's not necessarily true. Like I mentioned VST3 is still sometimes a mess, it's still a bad idea we have to live with really. Steinberg have some good intention with it in terms of supposed CPU saving at rest compared to VST2 but I haven't seen it in any host. It's just a format that we have to live with, that again is universally panned by developers.

Compare that to AU, which is about to become that much more powerful, AU3 and iOS portability among other things. Plus, Logic is easily in the top four DAWs, it's literally Pro Tools, FL Studio, Logic and Live I would guess. There's plenty of reason for developers to code AU, and they almost all do. As mentioned in this thread there are even developers that don't code VST.
And do you really thing Bitwig should take on itself evangelising Linux native plugins and making them more popular?! Lol :D
Yes, why not? It would be great if someone took advantage full bore of the lean OS that is Linux. We don't have that now, VSTs have to wrapped in Wine etc. Even if somehow Bitwig could natively host VSTs without a wrapper that would be a plus.

antic604 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:52 pm Standard = supported by all platforms. VSTs run on Win, Linux and MacOS. AUs only on the latter. They've 4 or 5 devs. They should allocate their time to much more important stuff, at least for now.
You could have said the exact same thing about touch screen support, which not all Windows users use, probably nearly no Linux people do, but there you go, Bitwig developed it. That cannot be said about AU support, most people on Mac OS will use them if available. I've never complained about it until this constant whinge from people like you about anything that might be Mac OS specific. :roll:

billcarroll wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm AU has some limitations compared to VST
1. AU won't transmit MIDI out if I remember correctly
2. Using AU you lose the ability to share project files easily with a Windows user.
3. AU handles presets differently

I'm on a Mac but generally stick to VST2 for the most part.
1. This is host specific, i.e. the AUi spec allows for midi out, but no host does it, and plug in developers generally don't implement it because of that. This will probably change when AU3 is the standard in later Mac OS versions.

2. This is true, but I'll be honest, I've never shared projects with plug ins that a partner could tweak, that could get ugly, better to share WAV files.

3. Yeah, but 99% of the developers out there code their own format. The list of VSTs that publish presets to Bitwig is like maybe 5 on my system. Mostly they all have their own plug in format, and you will have to share plug in presets with someone to get the same set up on another computer.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:16 pm
simmo75 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:42 pmBut it's still valid antic604, it's totally reasonable to have all the standard plugin formats for both platforms, I'm sure if Windows had there own plugin format, Windows users would be pissed off too, right? Is it really that hard to offer customers the choice?
Personally, I don't think so. All DAW devs should try and offer all formats. It would make the world a better place :)
Geez... It would make the world a better place if so many people didn't spend their time trying to tell other people what to do. Seems like many people hate freedom and want to force everyone into some bland conformity.
Oh please… who’s telling who what to do?
Do you mean suggesting that developers offer as much choice as possible to customers, no matter what operating system is bland conformity?
What has offering choice for customers got to do with hating freedom?
Weird…

AU support? Yes, pretty please!

Deleted

I personally don't miss AUs in Bitwig just like I don't miss VSTs in Logic. Still, I like how Live presents all the options nicely organised in their respective folders without them stepping into each other.
I'm sure the guys at Bitwig, clever as they are, would come up with options along the lines of "prefer AU over VST when available".

It was disappointing when I tried to open some Live sessions where I use AU :)

AU on the desktop doesn't directly affect me (using VSTs on windows x86 atm) but now that there's an m1 ipad pro if there were some way to use bitwig's grid on an ipad I'd be a very happy camper.

The primary reason for me to prefer AU support is the ability to share plugin presets between Logic and Bitwig...

AUv3's have several advantages:
1. If they crash, they don't crash the host, their processing runs independently.
2. You can open as many instances of the same plugin as you'd like.
3. Presets are also independent of the host, which makes saving/managing them easier.
4. There are newer MIDI processor AUv3 types that do send MIDI to from/hosts, from side chains, and multiple channels - same goes for audio.

Ocsprey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 pm AUv3's have several advantages:
1. If they crash, they don't crash the host, their processing runs independently.
3. Presets are also independent of the host, which makes saving/managing them easier.
4. There are newer MIDI processor AUv3 types that do send MIDI to from/hosts, from side chains, and multiple channels - same goes for audio.
Sounds like the advantages of Bitwig vs. other hosts...; - )

Tj Shredder wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:00 pm
Ocsprey wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:18 pm AUv3's have several advantages:
Sounds like the advantages of Bitwig vs. other hosts...; - )
I was thinking the same about #1

Return to “Bitwig”