DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.0)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

Invisble Man wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:15 pm Hello Moss,
Little problem with your last driver and generic flexi : I have an Arturia minilab mkii, but when I want to use the knobs to control the devices in Bitwig, they run very very very slowly, even if I put the knob sensivity to the maximum.

Everything was fine with your previous drivers. I've rechecked now with the 11 and it works fine but not with the 12.2 and 12.3. Any idea ?
Thanks for the report! This caused me some serious head scratching. Seems I messed this up when introducing the hi-res CC support.
This will be fixed in the next update (fingers crossed).

Ben1984 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am I have a problem with my launchpad pro (original), Bitwig 3.3.10 an latest DrivenByMoss extension.
Most of the time it doesn't react when in fader or device mode. Some "faders" on the launchpad work, but some not. So if I push a pad it doesn't react...
I installed the latest firmware on the launchpad. Note mode work ok.
Sorry, no idea. Would be great if you can come up with some reproducable steps.

dan_default wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:26 pm Hello. I've started using the Akai Fire and have run into an issue that I'm stuck on. In the Clip Launcher, after adding 4 clips to a track, trying to add a 5th using Alt+Rec throws an error "No empty slot in the current page. Please scroll down". As you can see in the attached image, I did scroll to the next "scene page" as indicated by the white outlines around the slots.

I'm still able to add clips with the mouse and record with over dub that way.

Thanks for any help on this! (and thanks for programming the Fire extension. Its a funky game changer)
Hmm, it seems that the cursor track's clip bank is still on the first page. Not sure if that is a Bitwig bug or if I am doing something wrong. Needs some investigation...

zengel wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:45 pm Hello Moss !
One question .
Is it possible to configure knobs of the push 2 to go faster or slower regarding the parameter it controls ? I need to go really slow to control one and it's already to fast . That would be cool to have the ability to control the speed of rotation of the push knobs . Like a sensitivity parameter for each parameters you want to control with a knob.
Thanks !
Sadly, no, since there is no info about the resolution of a parameter.

carlca wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:00 pm
carlca wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:47 pm Moss, any chance of some guidance here? All I'm after is a list of a few example OSC / Addresses, and I'm sure that I'll be able to take it from there.
I've just found the docs at https://github.com/git-moss/DrivenByMos ... l-(OSC).md. This looks as if it what I'm after 😀
That is part of the manual which is included in the download of DrivenByMoss.
carlca wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:00 pm UPDATE: Looks like I'm stuck until Bitwig sort out the `OSC did something wrong` bug.
This bug is only in Bitwig 4 Beta 5, you can still use 3.3.10.

carlca wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:01 pm Another question for Moss. Have you seen the new release of TouchOSC from Hexler.net? Do the arrival of new features alter your recommendations on whether to go with Open Stage Control or not? As I am just starting out in this area, and it seems that things are at a bit of a crossroads, at the moment, I'm keen to make the most appropriate decision.

https://hexler.net/touchosc
I bought it out of curiosity but didn't have time to look into it yet but I doubt that it is anywhere close to what Open Stage Control can do by now.

moss wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:12 pm
Ben1984 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am I have a problem with my launchpad pro (original), Bitwig 3.3.10 an latest DrivenByMoss extension.
Most of the time it doesn't react when in fader or device mode. Some "faders" on the launchpad work, but some not. So if I push a pad it doesn't react...
I installed the latest firmware on the launchpad. Note mode work ok.
Sorry, no idea. Would be great if you can come up with some reproducable steps.
I found the problem, it has something to do with the take over mode, When in catch mode, if i move a fader on my other controller, the launchpad won't react on that fader. Relative scaling mode is working almost ok. Sometimes the "faders" on the launchpad act still a bit weird...

Hello Moss and @MoodyB, I've moved my recent messages to the more appropriate topic viewtopic.php?f=268&t=417075&start=300. Trouble is that it's left some answers here with no obvious question, so still a bit of a mess. My apologies for that 😉
Bitwig 5.1.6 + Akai MIDIMix + Launchpad X + MuLab 9.3.18
Roli Lumi Keyboard x 2 + Universal Audio Apollo Twin X
Mac Mini M1 16GB/4TB + macOS 14.4 Sonoma

DrivenByMoss 12.3.1 is out!

Get it from http://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Improved long press delay depending on system.
    • Fixed: Creating new clips (New-command) did only work on first clip page.
  • APC, Fire, Maschine Jam, Maschine
    • New: Shift mode can be operated with one hand. Press and release the Shift button to activate shift mode. Execute Shift actions. Press Shift again to disable Shift mode. Button combinations can still be used as before.
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Improved labels of relative modes in selection box.
    • Fixed: Speed of relative knobs in low-res CC mode was much to slow.
  • Launchkey Mk3 / Launchkey Mini Mk3 / SL MkIII
    • New: In the step view of the drum sequencer change the note length or create long notes by pressing a note pad, keep it pressed, wait a bit and then press a pad right to it.
    • New: Longer notes are drawn in a different color.
  • Maschine
    • Fixed: Changing note length in sequencers did not work.
    • Fixed: Tempo fractions were truncated.
  • Remote SL Mk2
    • Fixed: Long notification messages were truncated.
Enjoy!

moss wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:34 pm DrivenByMoss 12.3.1 is out!
Enjoy!
I am :) :clap: :party:

But one question (this is on Push2, but I guess it's general) - is there still no way to control Bitwig's GUI via the native API?! It's quite ridiculous that when I hit "Session" the Clip Launcher doesn't come up, or the Devices panel doesn't show when I hit "Device", or that when I go through the devices in the chain Bitwig doesn't scroll to show me the one I'm controlling... :dog:

I'm sure you've asked the devs about this. What's their excuse? :roll:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Hi Moss! Thanks for your effort in this awesome extension, It is what makes bitwig the only linux viable DAW for me :) .

My problem: most things appear to work, but I am having some problems with the display and the step sequencer.

Step sequencer:
- I click on Note and select Drum64 ("Drum" doesn't appear to me. The other options are play, chords, piano, Drum4 and Drum8).
- The step sequencer appears. If I click a pad in the drum machine and then select pads on the step sequencer, the pads are not selected. They just change to blue color, and blink, but no sound is made. If I set recording in a loop, the pads will blink in the same time I pressed them, but they will not follow the tempo of the track. Changing scenes doesn't appear to do nothing.
- Expected behavior: Clicking on a pad would highlighted it and add the select sound to be in time in the respective bar.

Notes - Play
- If I click in notes and then play, with a drum machine track, two adjacent pads in the same row of the Push skip an element on the drum kit (e.g., in the classic drums we have on the bottom row kick, snare and HH CL, pressing the bottom left pad will release a kick, pressing the adjacent pad will release HH CL, skipping the snare).
- Expected behavior: clicking on adjacent pads would generate the adjacent sounds in the drum machine.

Display
- Some items are not aligned. or doesn't appear to make sense. when I click notes, the play, chords, piano and drum64 options are on the bottom row, while drum4 and drum8 are on the top. From what I saw in your videos this is not the correct layout, but I am a newbie so can't know for sure :neutral: .

This procedure happened both with DrivenByMoss versions 11.7 and 12.3.1 (last release).
I never used this push with a Ableton installation (I bought it second-handed some time ago), so I am not sure if this is caused by old firmware.

The spam filter got me, so I added part of the description of the problem as an image:
2021-06-29_10-16.png

Some pictures:

Clicking in notes
IMG_20210629_095332.jpg
Selecting Drum64
IMG_20210629_095350.jpg
Clicking in a pad while on Drum64
IMG_20210629_095417.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:39 am
moss wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:34 pm DrivenByMoss 12.3.1 is out!
Enjoy!
I am :) :clap: :party:

But one question (this is on Push2, but I guess it's general) - is there still no way to control Bitwig's GUI via the native API?! It's quite ridiculous that when I hit "Session" the Clip Launcher doesn't come up, or the Devices panel doesn't show when I hit "Device", or that when I go through the devices in the chain Bitwig doesn't scroll to show me the one I'm controlling... :dog:

I'm sure you've asked the devs about this. What's their excuse? :roll:
There was a lot of discussion about this back in the days and the widely accepted conclusion was that the controller should not automatically switch views in the UI especially problematic when you use mutliple controllers (as I do).
On the Push you can at least long press the Master button to get a menu for changing views and panes.

moss wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:27 pmOn the Push you can at least long press the Master button to get a menu for changing views and panes.
I had no idea! That's great :tu:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

valankar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:22 pm
moss wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:39 am
valankar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:45 pm Hi, I'm using the generic flexi with an Akai MPK mini. Mainly I wanted to use the modes and map the rotaries to control track volumes, being able to switch to sets of 8 tracks. This somewhat works, but I'm having some issues. I've set a control to 'Modes: Item 1: Set Value'. When I use Relative (1-64 increments), the rotary only moves the volume in tiny amounts. If I then set 'Knob Sensitivity Default: +100' it is a bit better, but still requires a lot of knob turning. I tried the other knob modes and none work too well. One even makes both clockwise and counter-clockwise decrease the fader.

If I don't use modes and instead have Track: Track 1 Set Volume, it works better, but I have to set Relative (1-63 increments). The only problem is clockwise lowers the fader, and counter-clockwise raises it, and I'd like it opposite.

Ideally I'd like to use modes if I can get it working, to be able to switch to device modes, etc. But not sure how to fix the knob resolution issue.

Thanks.
I do not have that model but from looking at a picture of the device, aren't these absolute knobs?
It can be set to absolute or relative with the Akai configuration program. I tried both.
Any idea what I can try to resolve this? Happy to provide any more info.

eliasy wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:19 pm Hi Moss! Thanks for your effort in this awesome extension, It is what makes bitwig the only linux viable DAW for me :) .

My problem: most things appear to work, but I am having some problems with the display and the step sequencer.
Hmm, this looks a bit like a hardware issue. Just to be sure I did a quick test with Push 1 and Linux but it worked fine for me.
If you have access to a Windows or Mac machine, you can try with the demo version of Ableton (which will also update your Firmware to the latest release).
Also try different USB ports and cables.

Return to “Controller Scripting”