Released: Free Synthesizer Odin 2 [Win / Mac / Linux]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Odin 2

EvilDragon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:14 pm ProgramData is for all users on the machine (which is not something that should be forced by the program, so this is why I think Odin shouldn't just save user patches by default to ProgramData, it should only save user patches for current user, either in Documents or Roaming, where Documents is helluva lot more visible and more easily accessible).

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/local-lo ... windows-10
Error 520 on the link. C'mon, guys! Stop all going at once, it's killing their server! :lol:

The Apple, Microsoft and Linux gods need to issue an edict on what goes where. Maybe I want to share my personal patches with all the users on my machine, such as a studio machine with separate logins for the various users to do their personal projects as well as a studio login for clients.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

I agree that ideally patches + config should be stored per user somewhere in the user directory. When initially developing, I didn't put much mind to this and especially never anticipated how much response the topic would get.

I already changed the locations on Mac once (although not to user space) and on linux (to user space) in this 2.3 version. The problem on linux was that some distros have read-only sections or are portable, which was troublesome when installing the plugin.

As for windows, I might tend to it sometime, but its not high on my priorities list right now. The main work doesn't arise from changing the directory, but from making the installers migrate patches from the old location to the new one, which is always a PITA. Otherwise people will loose their presets.

syntonica wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:25 pm Maybe I want to share my personal patches with all the users on my machine, such as a studio machine with separate logins for the various users to do their personal projects as well as a studio login for clients.
Maybe I don't want to share break other-one's presets or whatever. If someone want to have common preset dir then symlinks can help.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 am As for windows, I might tend to it sometime, but its not high on my priorities list right now. The main work doesn't arise from changing the directory, but from making the installers migrate patches from the old location to the new one, which is always a PITA. Otherwise people will loose their presets.
Nah, don't bother honestly, at least for the time being. It's a bit quirky, but it's far from being an actual issue, just focus on polishing the sound engine. I guess you can do it the moment the synth becomes so stable that you can justify dedicating your time to trifling details such as this. As long as you know where the user patch directory is, you're good to go anyway IMHO. Not a big deal.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am I did notice a small gui glitch that was not present in 2.2. sometimes when opening the gui the fx tabs are misaligned and some element of the tabs are missing. This is easily corrected by closing and reopening or switching between sizes.
It appears this issue is fixed as well after building against the JUCE development branch. So another reason to wait for the stable release.

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:27 pm
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 am I did notice a small gui glitch that was not present in 2.2. sometimes when opening the gui the fx tabs are misaligned and some element of the tabs are missing. This is easily corrected by closing and reopening or switching between sizes.
It appears this issue is fixed as well after building against the JUCE development branch. So another reason to wait for the stable release.

:tu:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Looks like there have been a few requests for this, but I'll chip in with a "pretty please" request: dropdown menus for the LFO shape (click on the LFO shape indicator), just like the osc/filter/source/dest sections. Of course I have no idea how "easy" this is to implement, but it would definitely be a usability upgrade :)

Paul Eye wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:02 pm Looks like there have been a few requests for this, but I'll chip in with a "pretty please" request: dropdown menus for the LFO shape (click on the LFO shape indicator), just like the osc/filter/source/dest sections. Of course I have no idea how "easy" this is to implement, but it would definitely be a usability upgrade :)
The main issue with this is that all dropdown menus contain text - this is easy enough to realise in JUCE. However the LFO menu would contain waveform images, so I'd have to manually draw them somehow. But then it sounds like a fun challenge, plus you said "pretty please" so I'll give it a shot.

Paul Eye wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:02 pm Looks like there have been a few requests for this, but I'll chip in with a "pretty please" request: dropdown menus for the LFO shape (click on the LFO shape indicator), just like the osc/filter/source/dest sections. Of course I have no idea how "easy" this is to implement, but it would definitely be a usability upgrade :)
Your're in luck, it wasn't so hard after all. :D You can find the feature in the latest preview build here:
https://github.com/TheWaveWarden/odin2/ ... ghtlyDevel
It will be included in the 2.3 version.

Can you test whether it works for you, reporting back with OS and DAW? I developed on Linux and gave it a quick spin on Windows, seems to work fine so far.

Same day and, for some, a holiday?

No one can deny that you are responsive if the request is REASONable!
바보

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:04 pm
Your're in luck, it wasn't so hard after all. :D
May I add a little applause? :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:04 pm Your're in luck, it wasn't so hard after all. :D You can find the feature in the latest preview build here:
https://github.com/TheWaveWarden/odin2/ ... ghtlyDevel
It will be included in the 2.3 version.

Can you test whether it works for you, reporting back with OS and DAW? I developed on Linux and gave it a quick spin on Windows, seems to work fine so far.
Whoa, that was quick :o
And yep, it works as expected here. REAPER 6.30 x64, Win10 Pro 21H1 x64.
Also, somehow magically the wandering fx section selection buttons stay where they're supposed to now.
So a "thank you" is in order here :clap:

Paul Eye wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:47 am Also, somehow magically the wandering fx section selection buttons stay where they're supposed to now.
They do? I couldn't reproduce the issue either, but figured it was because of the new JUCE version. The version in the NightlyDevel release is still build against the old JUCE version, so that wasn't it.

It's always a bit scary for bugs to disappear like this. Let's hope it doesn't resurface :?

Anyway, great suggestion with the dropdown. Feels much better like this I think! :tu:

TheWaveWarden wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:00 amAs for windows, I might tend to it sometime, but its not high on my priorities list right now. The main work doesn't arise from changing the directory, but from making the installers migrate patches from the old location to the new one, which is always a PITA. Otherwise people will loose their presets.
In Surge, we handle this simply by scanning all the old paths for content, but only the latest one we decided on gets used for newly saved presets. This absolves you from installer shenanigans to move the user content to another location (instead can just notify the users that the new path is xyz, old one was abc, and that they should move the content themselves in order to have it in one place).

TheWaveWarden wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:02 am They do? I couldn't reproduce the issue either, but figured it was because of the new JUCE version. The version in the NightlyDevel release is still build against the old JUCE version, so that wasn't it.

It's always a bit scary for bugs to disappear like this. Let's hope it doesn't resurface :?

Anyway, great suggestion with the dropdown. Feels much better like this I think! :tu:
Yeah, I was a bit surprised since you didn't mention it being fixed. I'll let you know if the bug resurfaces though :)
And yes, 2 clicks versus 22 clicks to get to the last chipdraw shape (from sine) definitely is a usability improvement :D

Return to “Instruments”