IK announces UNO Synth Pro

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

glokraw wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:04 am Greedy buggers? IK's massive discount sales and group-buys dwarf the few pitiful handling charges they pass on along the way. Not to mention the intro prices, the many free versions, and alacart opportunities, for when it's a only single item you need, or can afford. I really doubt they make a $grand$ per year on extra fees. And that editor you mentioned wasn't plucked from a fruit tree etc...coding man-hours don't come cheap.
Cheers
Agreed. Business needs to do better than break even. People need to do more than just eat. Need to thrive. Or no Uno pro in the first place.

perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:04 pmI just cannot agree with the comments that say beefy synths don’t matter in the mix.
???? What's the context here? i.e. In what way did someone think they do or don't matter? Is it in the comments somewhere?
SLiC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 pmYes, librarian free, editors from cheap to advanced one that even algorithmically morph parameters on the instrument in real-time.
So, third party or from ASM?
Every digital synth can be described as a VSTi in a box!
True, dat!
This box just happens to link the sound extremely well to the polyphonic after touch keys and ribbon controller and is the the most expressive keyboard I have ever played- I sold my Roli after I got my Hydrasysnth and use the Hydrasynth as a expressive controller keyboard for my VSTs as well...I think the Hydrasynth is one that needs to be played before it is judged, the sum is more than the parts and most reviews are extremely positive, so I am not alone in liking it!
Analog Keys is a bit like that, although it's more in the patching - the extreme settings they put into the joystick make it a really unique experience to play. I imagine that would come through if you used any MIDI controller but it's a lot more immediate/connected playing it from the AK itself. It put me off at first but once you get your head around it, it's quite awesome. But the Roli experience is on a completely different level and I wouldn't swap that for anything.

On a related note, I managed to blow the power supply for my Overhub last night. It seems that Uno, Uno Pro, Rocket and Roli together draw more power than it was comfortable with. The scary bit is that it's a 2 amp PSU. I am awaiting delivery of some right-angle MIDI cables and when they arrive I will be able to plug a couple of things into straight USB power, instead of through the Overhub.

BTW, if you download all the Uno software before you sell it, you can include it on a USB stick for the new owner or put it up online and send them a link. With Uno Pro out now, it's not likely Uno will get any more firmware updates or anything and I don't recall having to sign into the Uno editor, which I only installed on a new computer a few weeks ago.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 am
perpetual3 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:04 pmI just cannot agree with the comments that say beefy synths don’t matter in the mix.
???? What's the context here? i.e. In what way did someone think they do or don't matter? Is it in the comments somewhere?
Yeah, in the comments to the Sonic state YouTube video. The idea being, the weight gets mixed away.

That is ridiculous. You can use the mix however you want - to remove the weight or to reinforce it. I'm off to put them straight!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

:lol:

BONES wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 1:03 am
SLiC wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:06 pmYes, librarian free, editors from cheap to advanced one that even algorithmically morph parameters on the instrument in real-time.
So, third party or from ASM?
ASM give the free librarian (patch manager) VST editors 3rd party.

Ps - I also blew up my overhub, I think it’s a design feature! Most modern hubs are better now anyway, I bought one that had on off switches on the usb outlets....
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

It's only the power supply which, iirc, I had to buy myself anyway. One with switches would be cool, too many things these days don't have on/off switches any more.

I made a good discovery last night - balanced TRS cables eliminate the noise. I'd been using my old Roland leads (from the '80s) with it but I bought a few TRS leads last week and they get rid of almost all the noise, even the digital USB stuff (which I hadn't expected). They are nice, braided cables, too.

There is a firmware update available for Uno Synth Pro, if anyone other than me is interested. 1.0.1 ups the resolution of the envelope parameters from 0-127 to 0-255 and contains a few bug fixes.

BONES wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:34 am There is a firmware update available for Uno Synth Pro, if anyone other than me is interested. 1.0.1 ups the resolution of the envelope parameters from 0-127 to 0-255 and contains a few bug fixes.
I think I've found a bug in 1.01. Please try AMP ENV in looping mode and set Decay to lowest (1) value. Envelope stops looping and instead it is all the time "high" - opening the VCA no matter what Attack time is. For me it looks like obvious bug.

I'll check it out tonight.

I checked with the UNO Synth Pro lead, and they stated this is normal - value 1 is so fast, that actually seems to leave the VCA open - because it cannot close it. They understand the issue and why it would cause confusion and not be the optimal behavior for you and we might be able to force the closing of the VCA if this is the preferred behavior.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:12 am value 1 is so fast
Ok, I understand 1 is very fast decay but why we stop hearing attack stage (attack could be set to any value, lets say 100). Setting decay = 1 stops looping and if it was very fast we should hear only attack stage. If you want I can record the video showing this.

Yeah, it definitely sounds wrong to me.

Btw, one thing that would be nice in future firmware update is the choice of envelope curves. The one that is implemented looks like the logarithmic curve with quite long final stage that has really low (almost quiet) final part, that sounds in looping mode like short pulse and then quiet break.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”