Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abyss

PetVor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:12 am There is a new version of Abyss available for download:
* two more CC modulators
* a new sample & hold modulator (a new random value for each note played)
* LFOs can be switched to uni-polar
* LFOs show zero-line when editing and they are bi-polar
* Draw straight lines in the LFOs by using SHIFT+click and draw

And last not least: there is a dice symbol next to the gradient to create a random gradient. All other sliders are not touched. The tone colours that are generated will take the settings of the sliders in the EDIT page. This is really fun - I hope you enjoy!
Thank you for the update!
Had few Q though.
Same version # (1.0.0)?
That could be convenient to have the version info showing somewhere on the UI, or I missed it?
The installer I downloaded from my Tracktion account didn't have the customize options the previous one had, i.e. installing or not VST3, App, etc.
*EDIT : solved

Already a nice update--good to see.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Is there a mono switch? Hopefully with legato? I can imagine this being nice for lead and bass sounds, not just pads and drones.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:20 pm Is there a mono switch? Hopefully with legato? I can imagine this being nice for lead and bass sounds, not just pads and drones.
No, this is currently not supported, but I put it on the list.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 am
c_voltage wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 pmI think this is the key point, just a matter of genre preference, there is nothing wrong.
The thing is, most instruments manage to cover a range that means anyone can find something of value. It was quite striking to me that I couldn't find even a single patch I liked.
c0nsilience wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:48 pmWow! Let us know what you really think!
Well, of course. If it's OK to be effusive in your praise for something, it should be equally valid to be thorough in your critique, as long as you are honest, don't you think? You learn more from honest critique than you do from praise.
Bones, I don’t entirely disagree with you. Having said that, I’ve got around 800+ plug-ins so I’m deservedly jaded when it comes to anything being ‘new’ and ‘fresh’. It’s been my experience that if you can’t find something compelling in Abyss, you haven’t spent enough time with it. I dialed in pad/drone sounds that I have yet to get anywhere else in a matter of minutes. So, while I appreciate your critique, I do find it misaligned with my own experience.
Duality without regard to physicality

Do you not see the contradiction in your comment? You have 800 plugins and you want to tell me you know them all well? The thing is, there are 8,000 plugins to choose from, to get any traction you need something to show it off to best advantage. With Concept 2, for example, the default preset was all I needed to hear to hand over $99. Sometimes you have to dig deeper but how much time are you going to spend before you decide to look elsewhere? I reckon an hour is more than enough and that's what I gave Abyss.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:05 am
c_voltage wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:34 pmI think this is the key point, just a matter of genre preference, there is nothing wrong.
The thing is, most instruments manage to cover a range that means anyone can find something of value. It was quite striking to me that I couldn't find even a single patch I liked.
Seriously, i dont know, i liked even first default eponymous patch as soon as started it on a random middle key. Like ready-to-use soft immersion environment for your visual ideas. I don't know how might not like it. And there were other notes ahead, from the lower octaves. :P

Don Bodin from SampleLibraryReview has made a "First look on Abyss" video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9HlAgU ... raryReview

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:01 am
databroth wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:02 amkeep forgetting to post these when I go live
I can see why, it is eminently forgettable. (Sorry, you set yourself up for it and I couldn't resist.)
I know you can't resist me bones, I am irresistible
sorry but you're not my type
Check out my website for synth/software articles reviews and presets http://databroth.com (new review every monday)

I also do experimental sound design and demos of plugins (no talking) on my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/databroth

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:28 pm Do you not see the contradiction in your comment? You have 800 plugins and you want to tell me you know them all well? The thing is, there are 8,000 plugins to choose from, to get any traction you need something to show it off to best advantage. With Concept 2, for example, the default preset was all I needed to hear to hand over $99. Sometimes you have to dig deeper but how much time are you going to spend before you decide to look elsewhere? I reckon an hour is more than enough and that's what I gave Abyss.
Hehe, you severely underestimate my thoroughness. These were built up over a decade and I know many of them well enough to have done several demos and several more patch sets for them.

You seem to be the forum contrarian, which I suppose every forum needs or how interesting would it be, really?

Not to knock Peter at all, but presets aren’t typically where great instruments shine. If that were the case, we’d all be discussing Nexus 3 right now…

To each their own, but I’m seriously sorry that you get nothing out of it. It’s a fantastic VST. 🙃
Duality without regard to physicality

The more I play with my own large library of VSTs and delete/sell the stuff that doesn't suit me, the more I realize that I'm pretty happy with simpler things, sound-wise. That a well executed pluck is more useful to what I like to do vs a long, evolving spacescape of a pad sound. I think we look at our synths contextually to what we're trying to do... and so while I don't find Abyss alluring, I can see why it would be to others.

Is there a way to remove a tone from the gradient? Muting the tone leaves a silent portion on the gradient (which is great - never underestimate the importance of silence), but sometimes I want to simply remove one.

herbaltree wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm Is there a way to remove a tone from the gradient?
Double-click it! :wink:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:14 pm
herbaltree wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm Is there a way to remove a tone from the gradient?
Double-click it! :wink:
Thanks so much.

Return to “Instruments”