The Big Guitar Amp Sim Roundup + Review

Interactive, forum-based, in-depth reviews, tips, tutorials and more.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amplifikation Caliburn AmpliTube 4 Axiom GrindMachine Guitar Rig Pro Helix Native S-Gear TH-U Premium Trash 2

.jon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:53 am An "expert" thread about amp sims without a mention of Neural DSP? :help:
There's intelligent life beyond Neural DSP.
:hihi:
AMD 3500X | RAM 32GB @3200Mhz | GTX 1650 Super OC | SSD M.2 NVMe 512GB | SSD M.2 SATA 500GB | HDD SATA 2TB | Win10 x64 | AKG K92 | JBL One Series 104 | Presonus Eris Sub8 | Steinberg UR22MkII | IK Z-Tone DI | WA12 MkII | Reaper v6

I've been using the UAD Fender '55 Tweed sim a lot lately, and I think it's fantastic. I've played a real 50s Tweed Deluxe in a studio situation, and I'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference in a mix. I also use the Suhr PT-100 sim (also UAD), which is really, really nice. There are a ton of useful cabinet/IR options curated by Pete Thorn. There are notes/specs for each IR detailing the mics and mic pres used (BAE 1073, mostly) to capture them.

+1 for the UAD Fender. This is a wonderful one and together with the Capitol Chambers the only reason for me to get an uad2

That and Softube amproom. I like that one as well.

.jon wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:53 am An "expert" thread about amp sims without a mention of Neural DSP? :help:
For high gain tones (Metal, Hardcore) Neural DSP amp sims (f.e. Fortin Nameless) are the gold standard for a few years now. They might sound slightly nasty in solo but they cut through a dense mix like nothing else.
That being said, I'm really looking forward to AmpCraft from Kazrog.
https://kazrog.com/blogs/news/announcing-ampcraft

What do people think about Tonelib GFX?

PleaseAdvise wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:59 pm What do people think about Tonelib GFX?
Not bad, if you can find the free version, before it went commercial. I use AXP amp sims a lot.
This might be the free edition.
https://freevstplugins.net/tonelib-gfx/
One to have a look at
ViatorDSP – Diode Amplifier
https://plugins4free.com/plugin/3453/
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

Thanks, I'll try this one when I can.
As for Tonelib, it's cool that there's still a free version around, but personally I'd like to give money to the dev, especially when it's so affordably priced compared to other similar solutions.

PleaseAdvise wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:43 pm Thanks, I'll try this one when I can.
As for Tonelib, it's cool that there's still a free version around, but personally I'd like to give money to the dev, especially when it's so affordably priced compared to other similar solutions.
Yep, I agree. If you like the demo/beta, buy it.
The free version is most probably an outdated beta release. Personally, I think there are better alternatives, including free offerings. Edit, It's better than I remembered.

I find distorted/high gain tones with copious amounts of delay and FX are easy to produce, but, the clean to breakup and driven tones are usually where they fall short. For these tones, I opt for the Joyo American sound and physical pedals.
pedals noodling
Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I gave Tonelib and TH3 Cakewalk another test. Tonelib is a lot better than I remembered, I preferred it over TH3 by a big margin. Gonna test it more against Guitar Rig 4 essential. Presets are also good.

Ok, as my final entry of the day since joining up, I'll add "amp room" by softube. I understand that some people are anti-ilok, but it's a great entry nonetheless.

First off, I got it and the "Marshall" pack for under a 100 bucks :) But I tried the 20 day demo and found that against everything else (including AT5) it was more authentic and closer to what a "real" amp was. Now, keep in mind, you have to apply things like HPF and the like with different eq setting and cab settings to get the sound you are after. But, this one came up smelling like roses! And it's really flexible.

Also, it's really easy to do midi learn (unlike the awesome AT5) and it's very "big" on the viewing angle (a plus for me) and zooming is a real thing. The GUI is pretty cool.

On the downside, it's fiddley in the GUI and isn't the lightest on the CPU. If you are not against ilok, give it and the Marshall cab pack a go for 20 days. Then if you hate it, you'll be out nothing.

I don't work for the company, but this is just my honest opinion.

Nembrini Krunk V2 as well as the Klon and 808 pedals...

Krunk V2 is my favourite virtual guitar amp...

It has a lot of the dynamics you find in good tube amps and it can cover a wide range of sounds...

Very versatile...

Put the 808 in front of it and it feels close to the real thing...

If the regular products didn't use iLok,I would have bought some...

You can cover a lot of ground with those three gems and I'm grateful to the guy who coded them :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:21 am Nembrini Krunk V2 as well as the Klon and 808 pedals...

Krunk V2 is my favourite virtual guitar amp...

It has a lot of the dynamics you find in good tube amps and it can cover a wide range of sounds...

Very versatile...

Put the 808 in front of it and it feels close to the real thing...

If the regular products didn't use iLok,I would have bought some...

You can cover a lot of ground with those three gems and I'm grateful to the guy who coded them :wink:
The only one I have is the Bst100 V2 and it's really good, but requires HP and LP filters. So really it needs to be eq'ed a lot. One thing that is great about it is it loads super fast. AT and AR take two or three lifetimes to load :lol:

Hey together, just about starting playing E-Guitar, mainly for some trap melodys. I got some nice Epiphone Les Paul clone from a friend ... i would connect it through the Focusrite Scarlett... which Amp-Sim is the most flexible for a beginner like me? Also I would appreciate if its not 200 bucks like Guitar Rig...

Philk92 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:35 pm Hey together, just about starting playing E-Guitar, mainly for some trap melodys. I got some nice Epiphone Les Paul clone from a friend ... i would connect it through the Focusrite Scarlett... which Amp-Sim is the most flexible for a beginner like me? Also I would appreciate if its not 200 bucks like Guitar Rig...

I would try the AXP stuff.

Philk92 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:35 pm which Amp-Sim is the most flexible for a beginner like me? Also I would appreciate if its not 200 bucks like Guitar Rig...
Amplitube 5 CS is free and has some cool gear.
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/a ... itube-5-cs

Guitar Rig Player is also free:
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... -6-player/
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Return to “KVR Experts”