Who loves Subscription Only updates to iZotope products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ploki wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:14 am Maybe even "organ donor" cards where you can leave your body to izotope if you die
And then Izotope can turn you into Soylent Green and sell the product at a 70% discount. Once the customer gets hooked on Izotope Soylent Green, then they swiftly switch to the subscription model.
Last edited by crickey13 on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

this dystopia writes itself!

I've read through this and another thread and did some online searching and I still can't find anything specific about what updates will suposedly not be available to lifetime license owners. The izotope site is vague about it and all that's been posted is speculation - no one has posted first hand information from izotope.

While I get that izotope's vagueness on this opens the door for speculation, it's not clear what lifetimers get and don't get. I also don't want to assume. But if lifetimers were to get the same kinds of decent upgrade offers to the latest version, that would be ok. Frankly, I don't recall izotope releasing many updates over the years and those they did were nothing major. The main update would occur when upgrading to the next numbered version. As long as that is still available then, for me at least, that's ok.

Would be nice to know the specific details on this however.

Subs = incompatible with nonsubs due to small but significant updates

plexuss wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:52 am I've read through this and another thread and did some online searching and I still can't find anything specific about what updates will suposedly not be available to lifetime license owners. The izotope site is vague about it and all that's been posted is speculation - no one has posted first hand information from izotope.

While I get that izotope's vagueness on this opens the door for speculation, it's not clear what lifetimers get and don't get. I also don't want to assume. But if lifetimers were to get the same kinds of decent upgrade offers to the latest version, that would be ok. Frankly, I don't recall izotope releasing many updates over the years and those they did were nothing major. The main update would occur when upgrading to the next numbered version. As long as that is still available then, for me at least, that's ok.

Would be nice to know the specific details on this however.
They recently added some features to only the sub software. It’s unclear if they’ll ever come to the purchased - reports say “no” but there’s been no official word (as far as I know).

All the pitchforking against iZotope is currently a bit premature imo.
My strategy: I use my paid items as long as I can (and want),
look for eventually upcomming (to be paid for sure) updates
and decide then how to move on (staying with them or switching to other alternatives).

Are there any alternatives from other companies to the following from Izotope?
- the Neutron mix assistant, https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/how-to ... stant.html
- the Ozone tonal balance control, https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/how-an ... ntrol.html

Tonal balance control is a fft, i’d just use Voxengo SPAN.
For neutron mix assistant, sonible smart EQ3 could partially replace it

Ploki wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:13 pm Tonal balance control is a fft, i’d just use Voxengo SPAN.
For neutron mix assistant, sonible smart EQ3 could partially replace it
Nice tips, thanks!

Toneboosters Equalizer has an (AI-powered) tool to suggest curves. That might also kind of replace mix assistant.

billcarroll wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:22 am Let's talk iZotope ...

iZotope update AI-powered assistants for Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro -> "These upgrades are exclusive to new and existing members of iZotope's Producers Club and Music Production Suite Pro subscribers."

It's sad that iZotope would ignore users who have own your products for years and begin providing upgrades only for subscription users. As a long-time customer, I have to say this leaves me with an incredibly bad view of iZotope.

Thoughts? Does anyone love this approach?
It's sad, yes, but their decision pushed me to look for & find alternatives. I'm far from being a loyal customer, however I have good part of their current lifetime licensed product line except RX7 Standard which I refused to upgrade even some time before the announcement of their SAS "offer".

I am already in the process of replacing Ozone Advanced, Neutron Advanced, Nectar and Neoverb with Fabfilter Mastering & Mixing and Valhalla Plate/Room/VintageVerb. My iZotope licenses of Tonal Bundle and Neoverb are already for sale.

I don't have the same success with replacing RX and I'm still trying to figure out whether SpectraLayers 8 Pro might be a viable alternative for my needs. If so, I'm about to sell my RX license as well.

I avoid any kinds of subscription software since the very moment Adobe started migrating their ecosystem to SAS. My job is graphics and web design and all my software has lifetime license. Mixing is only a hobby of mine, but the same goes for it as well - it's SAS-free.
Monitors: HS7 / Mixing: Cubase Pro 13 / Mastering: WaveLab Pro 11.2 / Sound Design: Live 12 Suite

I haven’t given Izotope any money in years.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

marina wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:08 am

iZotope update AI-powered assistants for Nectar Pro and Ozone Pro -> "These upgrades are exclusive to new and existing members of iZotope's Producers Club and Music Production Suite Pro subscribers."

It's sad that iZotope would ignore users who have own your products for years and begin providing upgrades only for subscription users. As a long-time customer, I have to say this leaves me with an incredibly bad view of iZotope.

It's sad, yes, but their decision pushed me to look for & find alternatives. I'm far from being a loyal customer, however I have good part of their current lifetime licensed product line except RX7 Standard which I refused to upgrade even some time before the announcement of their SAS "offer".

I am already in the process of replacing Ozone Advanced, Neutron Advanced, Nectar and Neoverb with Fabfilter Mastering & Mixing and Valhalla Plate/Room/VintageVerb. My iZotope licenses of Tonal Bundle and Neoverb are already for sale.

I don't have the same success with replacing RX and I'm still trying to figure out whether SpectraLayers 8 Pro might be a viable alternative for my needs. If so, I'm about to sell my RX license as well.

I avoid any kinds of subscription software since the very moment Adobe started migrating their ecosystem to SAS. My job is graphics and web design and all my software has lifetime license. Mixing is only a hobby of mine, but the same goes for it as well - it's SAS-free.
RX is a tough one to replace. It's almost like trying to replace Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. It can be done, but the alternatives can be challenging to use for work.

I like Ozone and Nectar as well, but they are easier to replace.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:09 am
marina wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:08 am

RX is a tough one to replace. It's almost like trying to replace Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. It can be done, but the alternatives can be challenging to use for work.

I like Ozone and Nectar as well, but they are easier to replace.
I could agree to certain degree on Adobe products.
My design job is mostly vector graphics oriented, so I couldn’t be happier to not having to use Photoshop (beside Lightroom with a permanent license from 2018 for playing with my raw files). Thankfully Corel does still offer a lifetime license for Draw. As an industry standard for raster graphics Photoshop is irreplaceable, but thankfully iZotope are far from Adobe at this point.
I couldn’t agree more on Ozone, Neutron and Nectar. Though there still are people around looking for assistant alternates ;)
I see people in some forums are enthusiastic about Acon Digital for restoration and I don’t mind testing their suite should that helped me say goodbye to iZotope.
Monitors: HS7 / Mixing: Cubase Pro 13 / Mastering: WaveLab Pro 11.2 / Sound Design: Live 12 Suite

Hell to the NO for subscription anything!
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Return to “Effects”