My first ever multi-track recording!!! /// Year: 1987 /// Track: 'Mystic Sea'

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Bedroom Producah?

I still use cotton buds to clean my cassette deck.

Frantz wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:04 pm Taylor Bros were the original and only emo-synthpop-prog band. :ud:

Given the limitations of recording onto a 4 track in one day, the recording is nothing short of amazing. Your musical aptitude is already on full display and your brother is a very good singer. (A minor point but I think the song would be more enjoyable with less repetition of the chorus.)

I do like this song better than most songs from that bigger band with a lot of Taylors (John, Andy, Roger) operating in the same time period. Great job! :)
You comparing this to Duran Duran, Frantz! :) Fair enough! :) No arguments from me! :)

DD's original singer / drummer / bassist (Stephen Tin Tin Duffy)...I did a Spaghetti Western style trumpet solo for one of his tracks way back in the very early 80s...3 bloody hours wasted in his Edgbaston studio....git never used it; never got back to me; never paid me! :)
the song would be more enjoyable with less repetition of the chorus.
Agreed! Maybe just a lot more variation in them if nothing else...we just ran out of time, really!
Those last 4 choruses were going to be a big build up from a quiet first one...backing vocals...the lot, but it never happened! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

enroe wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:03 pm Well, that's great: 1987! :clap:

You can hear that the sound is not as clear and polished as it is today.
But it is also clear that this is actually not that important, because
this song has a beautiful melody and is arranged with a lot of love!
Do you have any more songs from that time? If so: bring it on! 8)
Thanks for the listen and feedback! :)
Do you have any more songs from that time? If so: bring it on
Yeah...loads that I might try and pull off those old cassettes that I've now found! Some are actually pre 1987 and recorded on a Technics home cassette recorder with an overdub facility...seriously ropey! :)

Will I inflict them on KVR - not sure, quite yet! :)
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

eassae wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:27 pm Nice! Not bad at all especially for the gear you had and it being you first multitrack recording. Really like the opening guitar.

The dreaded low end always gets you when you're new.
Thanks for having a listen!

Not quite sure what you mean by 'opening guitar' though...maybe those dodgy 1980s synth pizzicato strings sound guitar-esque? Actually could be the dodgy 1980s synth piano sound as well! :)

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:29 pm
eassae wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:27 pm Nice! Not bad at all especially for the gear you had and it being you first multitrack recording. Really like the opening guitar.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'opening guitar' though...maybe those dodgy 1980s synth pizzicato strings sound guitar-esque? Actually could be the dodgy 1980s synth piano sound as well! :)
Yeah, to me it sounded like a guitar timbre over some other synthy thing.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:22 pm You comparing this to Duran Duran, Frantz! :) Fair enough! :) No arguments from me! :)

DD's original singer / drummer / bassist (Stephen Tin Tin Duffy)...I did a Spaghetti Western style trumpet solo for one of his tracks way back in the very early 80s...3 bloody hours wasted in his Edgbaston studio....git never used it; never got back to me; never paid me! :)
The Duran Duran reference was only a joke based on the last names. I didn't hear any musical similarity. Too bad Mr. Duffy was a jerk.

ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:27 pm
Do you have any more songs from that time? If so: bring it on
Yeah...loads that I might try and pull off those old cassettes that I've now found! Some are actually pre 1987 and recorded on a Technics home cassette recorder with an overdub facility...seriously ropey! :)

Will I inflict them on KVR - not sure, quite yet! :)
So yes ... if these songs are of a similar quality - not in terms
of sound, but in terms of composition, then you should definitely
publish them. Here or elsewhere, because they are really good.
:)
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Frantz wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:59 pm
ChameleonMusic wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:22 pm You comparing this to Duran Duran, Frantz! :) Fair enough! :) No arguments from me! :)

The Duran Duran reference was only a joke based on the last names. I didn't hear any musical similarity. Too bad Mr. Duffy was a jerk.
Yeah, I assumed it was a joke! :ud: Mainly, as you say, because this sounds nothing LIKE DD at all!

STTD - don't remember that much about the afternoon, except that we just did NOT 'connect' whatsoever! I thought he was a douche and he probably had similar feelings in reverse! :help: :oops:

eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:49 pm

That'll be the dodgy pizz strings then... Yeah, I can hear that... Certainly don't sound much like plucked violins! 😭

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:48 pm
eassae wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:49 pm

That'll be the dodgy pizz strings then... Yeah, I can hear that... Certainly don't sound much like plucked violins! 😭
Either way, I'm impressed by the results you got with the tech you were using.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

This is a great piece of songwriting. It's definitely got '80s vibes in the verse and chorus, possibly along the lines of Talk Talk, but I think the keyboard solo section recalls the halcyon days of Prog Rock, maybe shades of Tony Banks and his Pro-Soloist there.

It's a pity that your brother gave up on music - he had many talents for sure. When Hobgoblin split in 1980, I gave up for 29 years, so never say never. He may have a change of heart.

Working to deadlines - I don't miss that, especially when you have to carry all of the equipment up and down stairs, and then the Mellotron goes out of tune. I do miss the Pot Noodles.

This is an excellent piece of musical nostalgia. The production is pretty damn good for a first attempt, and it's great that you were able to salvage the recording.

Good work :)

Cool 80's sounding track you got there. Very nostalgic in my opinion.

seismic1 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:45 am This is a great piece of songwriting. It's definitely got '80s vibes in the verse and chorus, possibly along the lines of Talk Talk, but I think the keyboard solo section recalls the halcyon days of Prog Rock, maybe shades of Tony Banks and his Pro-Soloist there.

It's a pity that your brother gave up on music - he had many talents for sure. When Hobgoblin split in 1980, I gave up for 29 years, so never say never. He may have a change of heart.

Working to deadlines - I don't miss that, especially when you have to carry all of the equipment up and down stairs, and then the Mellotron goes out of tune. I do miss the Pot Noodles.

This is an excellent piece of musical nostalgia. The production is pretty damn good for a first attempt, and it's great that you were able to salvage the recording.

Good work :)
Thanks Tim,
Talk Talk - now there's a band that dramatically changed their style over the years! :) Hollis' solo stuff after they split is pretty interesting at times as well.

That keyboard solo...I do remember 'negotiating' that one into the track...took my arrangement of Nick's piece to the edge as he wasn't ever a big Prog fan at all!

Unless I'm losing it, I remember you posting some Hobgoblin tracks on KVR a few years ago - some serious ProgRock! You had a mellotron - wow!!! Only played it once at Uni where they had a very badly looked after one pretty much unused in the corner of the studio room next to the ridiculously expensive Fairlight that everyone was utterly obsessed by, but I never got to fiddle with as I chose the wrong module in year 2!

I just wanted them to repair the M so I could do some Tony Banks stuff on it, but they never did...I don't think Prog Rock was something that anyone on my Music course had ever come across before...I tried to 'educate' them, but to no avail!:)

Nick and music - maybe? It's always a possibility as we live just 2 miles apart!

Found 2 more tapes of songs we wrote together - later in 87 and then in 89...still mainly borrowed equipment asI didn't dive into the home studio expense big time until the early 90s...they seem to have ripped from the cassettes reasonably well...Good memories if nothing else as I thought they'd disappeared forever!

DarellHershey wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:03 am Cool 80's sounding track you got there. Very nostalgic in my opinion.
Thanks for the listen and comment - much appreciated!

1987 by timing and very much 1987 in style as well in many ways! :)

ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm
That keyboard solo...I do remember 'negotiating' that one into the track...took my arrangement of Nick's piece to the edge as he wasn't ever a big Prog fan at all!
I think that makes this recording even more remarkable. You managed to produce an excellent piece of music despite the dreaded "artistic differences" :wink:
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm Unless I'm losing it, I remember you posting some Hobgoblin tracks on KVR a few years ago - some serious ProgRock! You had a mellotron - wow!!! Only played it once at Uni where they had a very badly looked after one pretty much unused in the corner of the studio room next to the ridiculously expensive Fairlight that everyone was utterly obsessed by, but I never got to fiddle with as I chose the wrong module in year 2!

I just wanted them to repair the M so I could do some Tony Banks stuff on it, but they never did...I don't think Prog Rock was something that anyone on my Music course had ever come across before...I tried to 'educate' them, but to no avail!:)
It wasn't exactly in pristine condition, but sounded glorious, especially when it stayed in tune, and none of the other local bands had one.
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm Nick and music - maybe? It's always a possibility as we live just 2 miles apart!
Has he heard this? It might be the nostalgic spark to light the touch-paper.
ChameleonMusic wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:41 pm Found 2 more tapes of songs we wrote together - later in 87 and then in 89...still mainly borrowed equipment asI didn't dive into the home studio expense big time until the early 90s...they seem to have ripped from the cassettes reasonably well...Good memories if nothing else as I thought they'd disappeared forever!

Return to “Music Cafe”