First gig with Bitwig - hardware pot issues

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After 17 years of gigging and writing with Ableton I hopped on to BW about a year ago. Last week was my first gig using BW and one thing I have discovered is that when using my Novation Control XL the knobs occasionally do not return to zero. Mid performance I would throw one of many knobs up full to trigger an effects send (normally on one of three instances of Turnado) but when turning it back down to zero sometimes it would not zero and the effect would stay on.

I don't read these forums very often so I have no real idea if this is a known thing.
It never happened with Ableton, ever.

Carl,

Is it possible that your problem has only now been fixed, with this recent patch 4.0.3? (maybe a couple days after your gig). A couple of the patch notes sound like your problem, for instance:

Relative hardware knobs could return to an absolute value, instead of the last value set by the user [26638]

great music btw!

Thanks for your reply - I will grab the beta now on my studio computer and have a look to see if the issue has been fixed.
Glad you enjoy the music :)

The problem still persists with Beta 4.0.3 unfortunately.

When clicking on the help icon in the Controllers section I was taken to a page for the Control XL and found this line:

"This controller extension only works with the factory templates; user templates are ignored because they're not predictable."

That's not great news for me. I use User setting 1 for my live show so I can assign the entire 24 knobs and all the faders. I wonder why the user template is 'not predictable'?
I will try with another controller, perhaps my Korg Nanokontrol2 and see if that responds and better.

Would it work any better if you use moss Flexi script to map instead of the default Novation script?
Peace, my friends. I'm not seeking arguments here. ;)

I will investigate with the moss script. I've just had my nanokontrol 2 plugged in and hooked up to all the same controls and a part from an initial glitch with not returning to zero once i'd assigned it (not every time either) it was totally predictable and correct. It's a shame that there is this issue with the XL. It had always worked flawlessly with Live.

scally1138 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:32 am The problem still persists with Beta 4.0.3 unfortunately.

When clicking on the help icon in the Controllers section I was taken to a page for the Control XL and found this line:

"This controller extension only works with the factory templates; user templates are ignored because they're not predictable."

That's not great news for me. I use User setting 1 for my live show so I can assign the entire 24 knobs and all the faders. I wonder why the user template is 'not predictable'?
I will try with another controller, perhaps my Korg Nanokontrol2 and see if that responds and better.
That simply means, that the script cannot know how you setup the controls. If you just want your own controls, you can either use Moss Flexi, or maybe just use a generic script which passes on all controllers without further interpretation...
The idea of Bitwigs scripts is, that you just use it as the programmer of a script intended to use it...

That simply means, that the script cannot know how you setup the controls. If you just want your own controls, you can either use Moss Flexi, or maybe just use a generic script which passes on all controllers without further interpretation...
The idea of Bitwigs scripts is, that you just use it as the programmer of a script intended to use it...
[/quote]

Thanks for you reply. I will look into the flexi some more.

Hey I just wanted to give an update and say thanks for the advice.
Changing to the Moss/Flexi seems to have solved my issue.
I've rattled off some of the live set for a half hour and not had a single issue with the XL knobs not returning to zero.
Thanks!

Good news!

Return to “Bitwig”