E-Phonic Invader 2 v1.0.10 (WIN / OSX)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
16421 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm

EnGee wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:20 pm
Just don't use the Arp then ;) Others might still find it useful.
Personally, I rarely use an arp. A sequence? Yes, but that what is a sequencer for.

Waiting for M1 native support as Invader2 is my to go analog synth now that I don't have Diva anymore.
Oh yes of course I could simply ignore certain functions of the synth. Just like I could ignore the synth altogether but I'd like to see Invader evolve. It sounds great so why not want it to grow?

I use Arp patches all the time but I won't ever own a Mac so don't care one bit about M1 support so you see we all have our priorities. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
883 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:05 am
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:59 am
I don't have the others but can Dune3 do this without layering patches? I've barely touched it's arp.
No need to layer patches. You can think of the Voices as single Oscs: Single Osc In Voice 1 set to Arp #1, Single Osc in Voice 2 set to no Arp. Single Osc in Voice 3 set to Arp #2 and so on.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread. If you want to know more about D3's Arps we can go to its thread and I'll be happy to explain it further.
I was basically trying to ask the same thing as anx. Sounds like what you're describing is layering. Doesn't make sense to compare synths that layer. And some people that aren't you will find e-phonic functionality useful.

Expecting that the dev should change how the underlying engine of the synth works to make one weird option work more to your taste is unreasonable. Expecting that they should delete optional functionality because personally you don't find it useful is also unreasonable.

Saying "man it would be cool if the synth worked like X" is fine, but you are going beyond that when the dev has already given you the underlying architectural reason why it cannot work like that.

User avatar
KVRAF
16421 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm

briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Sounds like what you're describing is layering. Doesn't make sense to compare synths that layer.
No, what I originally posted and what I stand by is that routing the Arp only to Osc2 should have no effect on Osc1. Osc 1 should not just play a single note over an over, simple as that. Adding another Env would likely solve that since the single Env is given as the reason for the behavior.
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
And some people that aren't you will find e-phonic functionality useful.
As I have already posted twice yes you can use it to effect on some patches. But I don't think having a single note playing over and over on one Osc while the other Osc is arpeggiating a chord is useful in a lot of patches. It's basically a half implemented feature that just by sheer happenstance provides some functionality. Not as much functionality as if it were to work properly in my opinion.

Like I asked can you think of another simple synth that has Arp Routing? I can't and there's probably a good reason for that and if there was I'd be right there bringing up the issue to the developer.
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Expecting that the dev should change how the underlying engine of the synth works to make one weird option work more to your taste is unreasonable.
It's far from a "weird" option. It's something I use all the time.

I'm not suggesting change I'm suggesting growth. The fact that people push back against progress and growth is puzzling especially if they like the way the synth sounds. Stunting the growth to your taste is no less unreasonable than me suggesting that the current Arp Routing does not make sense due to a simple missing Env.

But if the idea is to keep the synth simple then why add anything? Do you only push back against features you don't want or understand or do you push back against all features?

Anyway I've done my job I've reported an issue in an attempt to improve the synth and the developer has responded. I disagree with his position but he's driving the bus. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
883 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:22 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Sounds like what you're describing is layering. Doesn't make sense to compare synths that layer.
No, what I originally posted and what I stand by is that routing the Arp only to Osc2 should have no effect on Osc1. Osc 1 should not just play a single note over an over, simple as that. Adding another Env would likely solve that since the single Env is given as the reason for the behavior.
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
And some people that aren't you will find e-phonic functionality useful.
As I have already posted twice yes you can use it to effect on some patches. But I don't think having a single note playing over and over on one Osc while the other Osc is arpeggiating a chord is useful in a lot of patches. It's basically a half implemented feature that just by sheer happenstance provides some functionality. Not as much functionality as if it were to work properly in my opinion.

Like I asked can you think of another simple synth that has Arp Routing? I can't and there's probably a good reason for that and if there was I'd be right there bringing up the issue to the developer.
briefcasemanx wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:21 pm
Expecting that the dev should change how the underlying engine of the synth works to make one weird option work more to your taste is unreasonable.
It's far from a "weird" option. It's something I use all the time.

I'm not suggesting change I'm suggesting growth. The fact that people push back against progress and growth is puzzling especially if they like the way the synth sounds. Stunting the growth to your taste is no less unreasonable than me suggesting that the current Arp Routing does not make sense due to a simple missing Env.

But if the idea is to keep the synth simple then why add anything? Do you only push back against features you don't want or understand or do you push back against all features?

Anyway I've done my job I've reported an issue in an attempt to improve the synth and the developer has responded. I disagree with his position but he's driving the bus. :shrug:
I'm not pushing back on a feature being added. I'm pushing back on a feature being *taken away*, and the expectation that the synths underlying architecture should change to support one thing that's not even close to standard on synths of this type.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
12572 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:29 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:43 pm
I'd like to see Invader evolve. It sounds great so why not want it to grow?
Because it's great the way it is, it doesn't need to grow or evolve. You may only appreciate the sound but I really appreciate the whole package - the GUI, the ease-of-use and the sound.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
5392 posts since 24 May, 2004 from square1

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:39 pm

...

User avatar
KVRian
691 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:10 am

Guys, let's not forget it's a project made by a single man. I don't even think he had in mind making it a commercial thing. The pay what you want consider it a thank you for him creating this.

I don't have any expectations and every new update i consider it a gift.

User avatar
KVRian
954 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:48 am

Forgot about Invader and never checked Invader2 now I'm wondering how I could miss this one. It starts at 5 bucks and it sounds good easy one page layout. A synth for the good quick sounds in live. Not sure if I buy it but I like to play with the demo so far.
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

KVRAF
1773 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:09 am

Teksonik wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:10 pm

Anyway I've done my job I've reported an issue in an attempt to improve the synth and the developer has responded. I disagree with his position but he's driving the bus. :shrug:
I feel safer with the dev driving the bus than you :hihi:

User avatar
KVRian
954 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:52 am

hesnotthemessiah wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:43 am
Bought Invader 2 today and loving it!!! :hyper: :love: Spent a few hours with it now and the only thing that kind of bugs me is that I can't hide the keyboard section to save screen space. Would be great if there was a switch to show/hide the keyboard section (perhaps clicking the Invader 2 logo could do this?). Many thanks E-Phonic :tu:
I would love to see this as well. It will not stop me from getting Invader 2 today but would be nice to see a "rack" version :hihi:
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

KVRian

Topic Starter

656 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 am

@Autobot
I'll see what I can do. Resizing the window is always a pain in the ***. Specially to have working stable on all the DAWS I need to support.

I'm currently fixing some issues, the most important one being an occasional crash on OSX.
I've already fixed it but not yet deployed because I'm working on some more fixes at the same time.
v1.0.8 did not suffer from this crash, so if you experience this crash, please use / download v1.0.8 from the website for now.

User avatar
KVRian
954 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:19 pm

e-phonic wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:06 am
@Autobot
I'll see what I can do. Resizing the window is always a pain in the ***. Specially to have working stable on all the DAWS I need to support.
Okay. I see. As one with no idea bout coding I thought it would be easy :oops:
Thanks for giving it a try.
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

KVRian

Topic Starter

656 posts since 16 Sep, 2002 from Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:02 pm

v1.0.10:
  • Fix: occasional crash on load.
  • Better unicode support for file paths and preset names.
  • Preset and settings file handling rewritten. Let me know how this works! :-)
  • More explanatory drop down texts.
  • Close preset browser on double click on preset name.
  • Fix: registration state remembered when loading registration key for the first time.
  • Version string now shows correctly.
  • Updates iPlug2 framework.
https://www.e-phonic.com/invader.html#/

KVRAF
4567 posts since 21 Sep, 2005

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 pm

ee
Last edited by codec_spurt on Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
7607 posts since 7 Oct, 2005

Post Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:11 pm

e-phonic wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:02 pm
v1.0.10:
  • Fix: occasional crash on load.
  • Better unicode support for file paths and preset names.
  • Preset and settings file handling rewritten. Let me know how this works! :-)
  • More explanatory drop down texts.
  • Close preset browser on double click on preset name.
  • Fix: registration state remembered when loading registration key for the first time.
  • Version string now shows correctly.
  • Updates iPlug2 framework.
https://www.e-phonic.com/invader.html#/
:tu:

Thank you :)

Return to “Instruments”