Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

I don't get the problem.

Can VST's be Native for m1? if not they need a bridge? if they are native they don't need a bridge?

I actually use few plugins: u.he, valhalla, NI, serum, pianoteq,
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:50 pm I don't get the problem.

Can VST's be Native for m1? if not they need a bridge? if they are native they don't need a bridge?

I actually use few plugins: u.he, valhalla, NI, serum, pianoteq,
With Live 11.1 if you'd want to run a VST that doesn't have Apple Silicon native version you'd have to run Live in Rosetta2 mode. You can only use Live 11.1 with Apple Silicon versions of VSTs and all AUs.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

FotoxBr wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:58 am Ableton could include a simplified KK like AU in their package for hosting VST ? But maybe it is easier for me to just keep running AL in Intel mode under Rosetta or use Bitwig 4.
Komplete Control is free is it not? The list of Mac VSTs that have no AU equivelant is pretty small.

The biggest issue with AU over VST is MIDI out from plug ins simply isn't really supported in AU outside of Logic. It's probably not an Apple trying to make you use Logic issue as much as a Logic is 28 years old with some awkward parts related to MIDI, and Apple has to tweak the AU spec to fit it issue.

Opening Live 10 for the first time in months, I'm sadly surprised at the control surface support.. ugh! the Slate Raven here takes up three slots for it's Mackie Control use. I forgot about this, those of us with a half dozen or more MIDI control surfaces or ones that hog multiple slots get to play the chopping block game. So I have to decide between devices... :(

I guess there's not a plethora of nerds like me with multiple control surfaces? because this is how it's always been in Live and still is. Not a deal killer, just annoying.

Oh and kudos to Ableton for the 3 month trial period on Live 11! That's fantastic! it should put me squarely in line with their annual winter sale! :tu:

I think the MIDI editor is a vast, vast improvement. The fact that you can now collapse the header and have almost the entire window to edit makes me very happy. And that you can keep the various tool panels collapsed but still use the notes, expression, and note expression headers (or Opt + 1/2/3 if the header is collapsed) to switch modes is fantastic in my book.

I was going to give the M1 version a shot at work, but I'm out of authorizations and there was no demo mode that I could find. It was exceptionally quick closing!! LOL

SLiC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:47 am OK, Apple Silicon support may be the headline, but that is a massive .1 update with a lot of new features and implements.
Indeed. To me 11 seemed kind of unfinished in spots. 11.1 seems quite a bit more polished interface-wise.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:38 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:47 am OK, Apple Silicon support may be the headline, but that is a massive .1 update with a lot of new features and implements.
Indeed. To me 11 seemed kind of unfinished in spots. 11.1 seems quite a bit more polished interface-wise.
Ableton almost always do this, it makes up for the initial price of upgrades that they have really two or three upgrades per payment cycle, and that it's generally longer between upgrades these days than any other DAW besides Logic.

massive x´s knobs don't work in the beta. In the latest normal version of live it doesn't have this problem. ... when using that plugin-configure button on the plugin in the bottom row it works.

Xbucket wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:46 am massive x´s knobs don't work in the beta. In the latest normal version of live it doesn't have this problem. ... when using that plugin-configure button on the plugin in the bottom row it works.
Which version of massive x? There was an update today from NI that is supposed to fix issues with some DAWS.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live+PUSH 3 Standalone, Reason, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I updated massive x this night, so probably the latest version.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 am
docbot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:48 pm great update, too bad they still won't give us back the old pen behaviour - I hate having to hold alt to change velocity, it was so slick to just drag down to change the velocity in all the previous versions. boohuu
It still does this when aren't using the pen and you double-click to enter a note. Not quite as easy, but easier than entering then reselecting and changing the velocity.

If you must use the pen, then keep your other hand on the number keys and type in the velocity as you enter notes. Maybe they feel that the typing is more precise than dragging. I liked the old way as well as you could always correct the note with the arrow keys.
thanks for the tip! I still absolutly hate that they just took that feature away when using the pen tool with no way to reactivate it. makes no sense

I finally got to test the M1 version and it uses less CPU playing back. However only 3 to 4% which is a lot less than I was hoping for. Boot time and disk operations seem much quicker, and it’s slightly snappier perhaps graphically but that’s about it.

I am trying to understand Align Delay plugin. Is that their take and solution on the terrible implementation of MIDI sync with hardware sequencers? I mean where are we supposed to use that new plugin in what situation ?

kmonkey wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:49 amI am trying to understand Align Delay plugin. Is that their take and solution on the terrible implementation of MIDI sync with hardware sequencers? I mean where are we supposed to use that new plugin in what situation?
As a sound-design tool:

https://youtu.be/hooe3_TJswk
Music tech enthusiast

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:56 pm I finally got to test the M1 version and it uses less CPU playing back. However only 3 to 4% which is a lot less than I was hoping for. Boot time and disk operations seem much quicker, and it’s slightly snappier perhaps graphically but that’s about it.
You mean 3-4% less CPU on the very same machine & same project, right?

Have you tried how Bitwig fares in similar comparison? I don't think I ever saw anyone compare the performance benefit of them doing the native M1 support...
Music tech enthusiast

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”