Studio One, compared to FL/Ableton?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hoxclab wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm
flori89 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:04 am
hoxclab wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:28 am S1 is no match for FL let alone Live. FL is easily the best deal on a DAW on the market. It’s seriously a no brainer.
I assume you payed a lot of money for FL and haven’t used S1 at all, or not very thoroughly?
I’ve used S1 it’s garbage. You have to pay to update. The piano roll is inferior. It crashes easily. You have to go through a screen on startup before you make music. It’s clunky. It’s everything FL and Live are not.
Option 2 then, not very thoroughly. It’s not even worth discussing, you are contradicting yourself. Ableton Live is the most expensive to keep updated from the three of those daws.

Also you clearly don’t know what you are talking about since all three require you to change options if you want to start into your last project (apart from the fact that this is the weirdest argument against a daw that I have read so far.)

jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 pm This is a joke, to compare Froot Loops to a professional DAW for musicians, right?
FL Studio is miles ahead Studio One.

Bartone wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:26 pm Question: is Studio One missing some major feature that FL Studio or Ableton offers?

I have been using Studio One and Bitwig for a few years now. I do own FL Studio, but my main complaint with it is MIDI routing. Both the a fore mentioned are much more capable. Never used Ableton, other than a brief trial.

Bitwig (and Ableton) have the clip launcher. In my case, S1 had performance issues on my Ryzen PC until about a year ago when they did something in an update to make it run way more simultaneous VI's on my system, so I favored Bitwig. Now I still go back and forth depending on my project. Note that S1 has the "scratchpad" which splits the timeline into two workspaces. I kind of use it like I would the Bitwig clip launcher, so far as auditioning different sections together before dragging them onto the main timeline. Of course it does not have near the flexibility of the Bitwig launcher, but I always tended to use Bitwig in the same fashion, dragging parts over to the timeline on the right. I have more crashes in S1, but they don't happen often enough to really bother me. Thankfully S1 does have a nice autosave feature.
Too many DAWs and plug-ins

mholloway wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:54 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:23 pm Studio One compared to FL/Ableton: It's better.

[/thread]
How is it better for people who prefer matrix / looping / clip-launcher based workflows?

Right.
Definitely again hitting the key thing of importance: only YOU (each person) know how you like to work. Thankfully, all DAWs are not the same since not all people work the same when creating music!

To me, the "best" DAW is one that supports everything you need, all (or mostly all) of what you want, and has some surprises that encourage you to be more creative - and, otherwise, stays out of your way and is practically invisible during use. If your DAW is getting in your way a lot, maybe it's time to do some serious demos of the alternatives.

I've had some speed bumps with Studio One. I otherwise quite like it. But if those speed bumps can't be resolved with easy workarounds that then also disappear, I'll likely abandon it.

Another DAW that's quite good, especially if you're making electronic music, is Tracktion Waveform. It is a non-traditional linear DAW, though, not structured like Ableton, though it's been around very nearly as long (FL predates both by a short amount, I believe).

hoxclab wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:47 pm
flori89 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:04 am
hoxclab wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:28 am S1 is no match for FL let alone Live. FL is easily the best deal on a DAW on the market. It’s seriously a no brainer.
I assume you payed a lot of money for FL and haven’t used S1 at all, or not very thoroughly?
I’ve used S1 it’s garbage. You have to pay to update. The piano roll is inferior. It crashes easily. You have to go through a screen on startup before you make music. It’s clunky. It’s everything FL and Live are not.
The updates can be had for around £60 during the Black Friday period... and you can do that regardless of what version you are on between versions, and you get everything. The piano roll is pretty comprehensive in features. Studio One in my experience rarely crashes and when it does, there are two reasons for it bad plugins and low hard drive space. Yeah, the loading screen is for checking to see if everything is working properly. Clunky isn't something I'd associate with Studio One when you have macro functionality and drag and drop.

FLStudio is is an idiosyncratic GUI experience with a toy like interface and ancient aspects still present today. It been, in my experience, a very crash prone program and lacks a cohesive direction in development in that you get what you are given of which is minimal in comparison to what you get with Studio One in updates.

Abelton Live - Updates every 3 years or so and a high price for the outlay of the most expensive version. The GUI, is imop, one of the worst and hasn't changed in 20 years. It's flat and ugly. Stability wise, previous versions were not stable at all for me. You don't get much added for 3 years of development in updates.
hoxclab wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:54 am
FL Studio is miles ahead Studio One.
No it isn't... FLStudio is for pattern / beat makers, Studio One is an all round music production and mastering program for professional and home users alike, that enjoy conventional and fast workflow aspects in addition to features.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

The best way is to demo it and if you like it, Studio One Artist could perhaps be all you need and it can be had for very cheap second hand and the upgrades are cheap.

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:03 am 😑 I rest my case.
You rest your case on a limited knowledge of clips & what can be done with them for audio & envelopes
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 amNo it isn't... FLStudio is for pattern / beat makers, Studio One is an all round music production and mastering program for professional and home users alike, that enjoy conventional and fast workflow aspects in addition to features.
Interesting enough I found that S1 is excellent for pattern making, the whole combination of arrangement track, chord track and scratchpads is perfect for that. It's not so in your face as in FL Studio but if you know how they intended it to work it's really cool.

Personally I found though that making a pattern is easy anyway, the whole thing comes down to how you make this into a track. Creating 8 bar loop after 8 bar loop get's you exactly nowhere. It comes down to arranging the tracks, and there S1 is extremely strong.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 am FLStudio is for pattern / beat makers
Even that may be a charitable description. :hihi:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

flori89 wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:24 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:44 amNo it isn't... FLStudio is for pattern / beat makers, Studio One is an all round music production and mastering program for professional and home users alike, that enjoy conventional and fast workflow aspects in addition to features.
Interesting enough I found that S1 is excellent for pattern making, the whole combination of arrangement track, chord track and scratchpads is perfect for that. It's not so in your face as in FL Studio but if you know how they intended it to work it's really cool.

Personally I found though that making a pattern is easy anyway, the whole thing comes down to how you make this into a track. Creating 8 bar loop after 8 bar loop get's you exactly nowhere. It comes down to arranging the tracks, and there S1 is extremely strong.
Yeah... Studio One is well suited to the pattern production based approach, with many ways to go about that now, particularly from version 4 onwards.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Just watch seasoned producers try to work on S1 after coming from FL/Live/MPC on YouTube and you’ll see how janky it really is.

jamcat wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:41 pm I think the better approach is to figure out which features you need
(...)
Ultimately, a DAW is a tool for creating the music you want to create the way that feels comfortable for you. Figure out which DAW helps you make the music you want to make the way you want to make it best. I think workflow is more important than features in the end. Your DAW should never get in the way of getting your musical ideas out. All the bells and whistles in the world aren't going to help if your DAW stifles your creative process.
Have to agree with this, but how can the same person then say :
jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:45 am Studio One has audio tracks, which are clip launchers for non-morons.
Are you sure you know how clips work..?
jamcat wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:10 pm This is a joke, to compare Froot Loops to a professional DAW for musicians, right?
Oh come on... seriously :dog: (And yes, same can be said for the guy claiming that S1 crushes FL or whatever. See first quote)
Soundcloud - Synthwave & More https://soundcloud.com/canapelee

Easy how I can say that: Not everyone writes and records songs. Lots of people only "make beats" or "tweak loops" or make sound effects or whatever, and something like Froot Loops or Bitwig will be good for them, while Studio One will be good for people who record and arrange proper music.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pmJust watch seasoned producers try to work on S1 after coming from FL/Live/MPC on YouTube and you’ll see how janky it really is.
That works both ways, though. Professional user of traditional DAW - like S1 or Cubase - will struggle a lot with FL Studio. That only proves how different they are, not that one is inherently "jakny" and other isn't...

https://www.sonicacademy.com/courses/to ... autoplay=1
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:02 am
hoxclab wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:06 pmJust watch seasoned producers try to work on S1 after coming from FL/Live/MPC on YouTube and you’ll see how janky it really is.
That works both ways, though. Professional user of traditional DAW - like S1 or Cubase - will struggle a lot with FL Studio. That only proves how different they are, not that one is inherently "jakny" and other isn't...

https://www.sonicacademy.com/courses/to ... autoplay=1
Why would they struggle though? They literally do the same thing. FL just has more features which give it a faster workflow.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”