One-Synth-Challenge: General discussion thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IV! wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 pm {attempted summary ... views of music from a musician's perspective} (I hope I got that right? - aciddose)
This is the real spirit of OSC!
tickytock wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:54 pm What is the spirit of this competition, really?
I've never participated so I can't say from an experienced point of view, but it seems obvious to me that the spirit is to enjoy and learn about these instruments as fans of computer music, software synthesizers and production techniques. This is something that can feel very isolated; so I believe the spirit of the competition is the same as a game of pub darts!

We're all drunk af and it's time to party.

I think the analogy might be lost on the majority of younger people so I'll try to spell it out more. It's a sensation of awe and appreciation at the people who score ahead of you. Some take it more seriously, some take it less. Everyone has the freedom to play the game the way they like best with whom they like best. Nobody minds when that bozo shows up with his laser-sighted dart, let alone the insane science-haired maniac with the robot that only throws bullseye after bullseye (that thing is sweet!)

It's a game purely for enjoyment, not competition. It's amazing to see the people who score highly and can even get into national or international competitions. It's a unique seemingly once-in-a-lifetime experience just being able to play in the same game or on the same board as them.

There's nothing wrong with being competitive or getting emotional about having lost when you'd thought you were better than you were. We're not fortune-telling gypsies peering into crystal balls, the future remains untold. For most I hope those experiences provide inspiration to grow.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

aciddose wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm
IV! wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:52 pm {attempted summary ... views of music from a musician's perspective} (I hope I got that right? - aciddose)
This is the real spirit of OSC!
And what does it have to do with me? :o :lol: In no way am I arguing with your version of the OSC universe (except that laser darts, despite the requests of many participants, are allowed in rare months like this, and some robot models are still prohibited :hihi: ), I just put more emphasis on the fact that masterpieces are born in our pub, worthy of recognition and beyond its walls! :phones: :tu:

IV! wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:40 pm I just put more emphasis on the fact that masterpieces are born in our pub, worthy of recognition and beyond its walls! :phones: :tu:
Upon re-read of my post :ud: you're right, I think I misphrased quite badly in some respects. Without a doubt "score ahead" should be taken to mean more in the sense of your own feelings about the tracks, not just the actual scores counted at the end of the competition. Mostly I felt your post covered that beautifully so I overlooked that mine missed that point almost entirely!

There is definitely the same sense of awe and appreciation for all fellow competitors. The worst possible thing you could say IMO is "here is my track, it's no good but ...". That sort of negativity has no place here. If I were to enter I believe my own crazy productions would be warmly welcomed regardless of what I think about my own work. Anyone entering should be able to feel the same.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Then there's we that acknowledge our song is mediocre and take the consequence of it and stay out.
In my last osc i came last because of lots of other with boring arpeggiated sound and loud kicks voted for that genre. Keeping me out of a middleplace. Going thru all songs and compare i had no problem finding lots of those "arpkick" being worse than me.
However. I do not put lot of time mixing, i just level the tracks. It seems that this is a no no.
Why should i put my time and energy in making "grouppressure" mixing?
Example; All songs have to have loud kicks to be accepted. I don't like them and don't want them in my songs.
It doesn't matter how fantastic work you do with mixing if the song is mediocre It will not be better.

Saffran wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 pm
Example; All songs have to have loud kicks to be accepted. I don't like them and don't want them in my songs.
I've got to say that this isn't my experience of taking part in the last year's worth of OSCs. One of my tracks began with a kind of central Asian folk instrument and turned into a mad bongo-fest and then sped up to become an acid trance thing. Somehow, it won (what were you all thinking?)

This month's winner by Jasinski is almost entirely cinematic in its approach, and the most memorable part of it for me was the big taiko-style drums. ToggleAudio came second and I don't think there's a single kick in that track. Elex contributes tracks with a strong narrative thread and very little dance-music type percussion every month and does pretty well (I think). Listen to Doctor Bob's stuff that often manages to deliver the feel of a 60s rock'n'roll drummer.

It's true that there are lots of dance music tracks and some of them do well, but it's certainly not a pre-requisite. Given that we're dealing with synths and dance music is pervasive, it shouldn't be surprising that it's a popular genre, but I personally think that an on-genre track needs to be really well put-together to win.

Saffran wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:35 pm Then there's we that acknowledge our song is mediocre and take the consequence of it and stay out.
In my last osc i came last because of lots of other with boring arpeggiated sound and loud kicks voted for that genre. Keeping me out of a middleplace. Going thru all songs and compare i had no problem finding lots of those "arpkick" being worse than me.
However. I do not put lot of time mixing, i just level the tracks. It seems that this is a no no.
Why should i put my time and energy in making "grouppressure" mixing?
It doesn't matter how fantastic work you do with mixing if the song is mediocre It will not be better.
Here we go again... In my post on the previous page, I gave some examples of tracks from the Top-5 that are not "arpkick", or they are much more than "arpkick". I also said that there are certain criteria and favorite genres in OSC, and they cannot be ignored, but they are not dictators here! Yes, damn, my first two tracks occupied almost the last places, but I can simultaneously love my tracks and not hate the OSC community. After all, this is not a world Olympiad, there can be no absolute justice here (and where have you seen it at all?).

Already two people here are unhappy, and I see the wording in both of them like: "Going thru all songs and compare I had no problem finding lots of those"arpkick"being worse than me" or "One unbiased person said that my track is brilliant". I'll just say that about my tracks from the middle of the winners' lists, some of my friends told me that they are amazing and worthy of the best ratings. I love my tracks myself, I put my soul into them. But I don't come here to complain or challenge the assessment, since I know what rules and preferences rule here in general (although final grades are often a surprise, and often a pleasant one). Why come to the football field with questions: - Where are your bits and bases?

I heard that one person in the distant past of OSC wanted to prove to everyone so much that his music was worthy of the best ratings that he just became a meme of this community. Why, he's got his own label now! He was recognized, he is really cool and famous, if that can be considered as such... By the way, I think he has a really interesting music, just a bad character.

Often we don't get the desired grades because we choose the wrong appraisers. But those who tell us only what we want to hear will never be able to make us better! However, so are those who just pour a bucket of shit on us. I haven't seen either in OSC, so I'm still here!

P.S. All this is my big IMHO, of course! And I ask you to consider this text as a continuation of the post "Spirit of OSC!" from the previous page, where everything was shown from the good side!

I have heard said that using effects creatively isn't in "the spirit of the competition". That's where i had heard the phrase "the spirit of the competition".
for example if i was using The Drop filters instead of the synth's own filters, that isn't in "the spirit if the competition".
"The competition" being: to push the monthly synth to its limits.
I don't know how i become confused about "the spirit of the competition" to also mean not making the song before the competition starts.
So for this, my use of an vague/undefined idea "the spirit of the competition" i do apologise to tickytock. I shouldn't expect that he would understand what i meant. Hell, I didn't understand what i meant! So tickytock wanted an apology, and now i have given tickytock an apology.

Well OSC is a great school actually. Like real life everything matters talent, social skills, recognizing trends, have a feel of the crowd you are making music for etc. just like if you were trying to make it big on the music industry.

The attitude “I am the best talent ever but people just don’t get my awesomeness” will not get you there (I mean at the top of ladder), being unfair or straight up offending people will not get you there, sending half assed ideas will not get you there (note to self this one), trying to bring the competition to your level rather than the other away around will not get you there.

It’s true the quality bar in OSC is quite high and not only on the synth design front. Mixing and mastering both play a huge role too. You can compose the best track ever with top notch sound design but if mixing levels and especially (for the better or worse) loudness / fullness is not up there with the competition then your track will be “lost” to the crowd. It will sound weaker.

There is no one to blame for that than the human brain and the whole “louder is better” thing that is hard wired to our hearing center. It’s a bad habit, bad practice perhaps but it works and 9/10 people will lean towards the louder track especially when people have to blaze through sometimes 40+ tracks per month to vote.

Personally I listen to at least 5-6 times a track before casting my vote but I have the luxury of being able to listen to music while I work so I just put the Soundcloud playlist on and if something catches my attention I write down a comment.

To sum it up I participate to OSCs because it gives me an incentive to make music and have some fun designing sounds but if someone wants more, meaning wants to win it then he should put the extra effort needed to do so rather than putting the blame on other things. It’s a tough competition and demands a lot from the participants at the top level.

I personally LOVE getting my ass kicked every month. It keeps me learning and experimenting!

Oh hey y'all, here's some more stuff from my VCV experiments. a little rough yet, but hopefully fun to listen to.

https://soundcloud.com/gorgorgathgorgor ... 6e79ef8e95

Look what an interesting thing has just appeared on the expanses of KVR!
2.jpg
"2RuleSynth is a software synthesizer have any classic synthesis techniques – subtractive, FM or and Ring simulatenously. It has LFOs and ADSR for every two independent oscillators. It has its own characteristic soundscape that can go as far as concrete music. Besides the familiar classical analog sounds, experimental sounds can be found using the randomize button."
With the randomize button, I get some Sci-Fi FX, but they are so cool that I can't tear myself away!
This is Win/Mac :tu:

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/2rulesynth-by-2rule
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2RuleSynth 1.1
New
UPDATE (New Feature)
*Excluding selected parameter for randomization (Ctrl+MouseClick on parameter for selection.
Shift+ Randomize button for cancelling all).
*AU format.
*Limiter for Output: Indication of distortion at "Waves" window.
new feature demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi5olKN_Ddw

https://akyuz5.wixsite.com/mysite/2rulesynth

Another round of "Any Synth" would be nice for the last month of the year! It's been a while since the last one.

Darksynth FX wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:27 pm Another round of "Any Synth" would be nice for the last month of the year! It's been a while since the last one.
Yes, if it would allow Users to relax, enter with something you love, save a little time, and attract more interested people, then I'm for it too! Such a month should be less "competition" and more "just have fun and make wonderful music"! :phones: :tu:

Another wavetable synth as an variant)
Graphite.jpg
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=556310

It seems to be a bit beta and not without flaws, but if there are no candidates in future... :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Instruments”