Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Did I expect this?.....Maybe a bit. I also hoped for something else but at the end it will sell like hot cake. From the walkthroughs I liked Undercurrent and the Nylon Sky.
The FX are nice but of course if you are in sound design of course you could do it yourself (and maybe in better quality with some third party tools) but they are like several FX chained with macros to tweak.
About the scenes....first i thought now they go the Alchemy way with Snapshots to morph between. Sadly its not quite as powerful.
But Spectrasonics are good at sound design and especially for film and TV these will all over the place soon....which also is a thing. I already hear a lot Omnisphere presets in productions and shows and even with 1000´s of them I can hear some of them.
So I think if you are into your own sound design it is maybe not the right thing but if you need ready in your face to impress presets with easy tweaking, this is a great thing.
I might even buy into these to have more sound sources to play with since I already own Omnisphere 2 and Keyscape. The easy micro tuning is something I appreciate which is missing f.e. in the Logic Alchemy version.
With discount you get each for about 100 then which is O.k. for what you get. These are a bit more than just presets.
If I had to choose one I guess it would be the Nylon Sky for me since I do not own any good guitar libraries. All the synth stuff is nice but normally I prefer to roll my own things here.
But when people were complaining about more synth features and stuff when they released Keyscape instead of new synthesis options, they said that there are way more Keyboard players out there as "synth players"....which I guess is very true, especially for their market. So they know what they do and they deliver what their clients want.

Is there a way to modulate the scene selection any way? I wonder if this is possible?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:07 am Is there a way to modulate the scene selection any way? I wonder if this is possible?
It doesn't seem so, but it would be an interesting update if they could be morphed.

In fact, NONE of the new front panel controls can be modulated. I guess they'd argue that they control all the actual parameters under the hood, and you can of course modulate them. Which in turn suggests another feature - if you (say) shift click a knob or control it would useful to have a pop up of what parameters they are controlling.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:33 am
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:07 am Is there a way to modulate the scene selection any way? I wonder if this is possible?
It doesn't seem so, but it would be an interesting update if they could be morphed.

In fact, NONE of the new front panel controls can be modulated. I guess they'd argue that they control all the actual parameters under the hood, and you can of course modulate them. Which in turn suggests another feature - if you (say) shift click a knob or control it would useful to have a pop up of what parameters they are controlling.
thx a lot! well i need to wait till i get paid lol ahhhh wanna get them.
but this is a bummer, i mean i need to test if it works in Falcon or not, Falcon is powerful but i just dont like the heavily tree clicking (just a taste i guess) so i like the idea of omnisphere (hope they implement custom macros in future!) and prefer Omnisphere mostly. not modulating those parameters is not logic for me, but im no programmer

EDIT:
but automating is possible via daw? thx :)!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

So the extensions are more than just sound packs in that they also add new features and fx to Omnisphere (like some Tone 2 addons do). If that is the case, once one is installed are those new features and fx available throughout Omnisphere so you can use them in new sounds or to modify existing sounds that are not part of the extension?

There's a live Q&A today from the dev's of these extensions. 11am PST I Think.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 am So the extensions are more than just sound packs in that they also add new features and fx to Omnisphere (like some Tone 2 addons do). If that is the case, once one is installed are those new features and fx available throughout Omnisphere so you can use them in new sounds or to modify existing sounds that are not part of the extension?
as far as i know hyes, maybe someone who has it can clarify?
also all patches are editable afaik. just need to click custom gui and the old gui opens up? so you can change per scene the soundsources, modulations etc?

I think these are brilliant! They’re not cheap of course but they are premium and extremely high quality. I think the price is somewhat justified if you imagine the amount of work that must have gone into them.

I would imagine that COVID has hit all music-related organisations, Spectrasonics included, so you can’t blame them for moving things in a more commercially minded direction. Also, having received a staggering amount of free stuff via the stellar updates over the years, I don’t begrudge paying for these at all. I’ve grabbed them all except the Seismic Shock one.

These days I like stuff that helps me knock out tracks quickly and I think the sonic extensions line is a great concept for busy musicians and producers with deadlines to meet.

Anyway, every single one of them sounds freaking amazing. Downloading now and beyond excited to dig into this feast of sound and colour!

Spectrasonics forever!!!! LOL 😝

Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:33 am So the extensions are more than just sound packs in that they also add new features and fx to Omnisphere (like some Tone 2 addons do). If that is the case, once one is installed are those new features and fx available throughout Omnisphere so you can use them in new sounds or to modify existing sounds that are not part of the extension?
also all patches are editable afaik. just need to click custom gui and the old gui opens up? so you can change per scene the soundsources, modulations etc?
That raises a few problems though, I guess for one would it mean if someone shared or sold sounds that included one of the new effects would they even open in Omnisphere for people who don't have that extension? Personally I am more interested in the new fx than the sounds because I feel the current Omnisphere fx are one of its weakest elements and was really hoping for an update to these, but it would be a concern now that we will see Omnisphere effects only being updated in future via Extensions.

sazb30 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:43 am Also, having received a staggering amount of free stuff via the stellar updates over the years, I don’t begrudge paying for these at all.
This- Since owning Omni I have had so much free stuff (that others would probably have charged for) its like a new program, I will have no problem picking one of these up at some point.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Nylon Sky is definitely extremely tempting. It sounds gorgeous!
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:18 am but automating is possible via daw? thx :)!
Yes - everything is the usual right click CC including those scenes.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:54 am
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:41 am
That raises a few problems though, I guess for one would it mean if someone shared or sold sounds that included one of the new effects would they even open in Omnisphere for people who don't have that extension? Personally I am more interested in the new fx than the sounds because I feel the current Omnisphere fx are one of its weakest elements and was really hoping for an update to these, but it would be a concern now that we will see Omnisphere effects only being updated in future via Extensions.
Responding to both these posts in one:

The fx (and all soundsources plus wavetables from Seismic Shock) are available in regular Omni - much like with Trilian or Keyscape that top left button lets you back in to the full synth. And of course you can then save as a new patch.

aMUSEd, yes I thought the same thing, but they've implemented it quite well. The wavetables and indeed FX are neatly hived off menu-wise in their own subfolder, so you can't make that mistake too easily. And it is much like Keyscape and Trilain again for the soundsources (and I know it's tripped up a few developers and me once!) Developers should just show the Core library not All Spectrasonics (plus user samples of course).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Hmm - That Nylon Sky is indeed very tempting. The $149 price point seems not too steep for me. However - I really hope this price includes VAT for us here in Europe, otherwise the price would become around $180. And that's a LOT less tempting.

Cinebient wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:10 am
The FX are nice but of course if you are in sound design of course you could do it yourself (and maybe in better quality with some third party tools)
What 3rd party fx are you referring to?

Return to “Instruments”