Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Biome_Digital wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:23 pm You've all missed the point. I mean sharing patches from the xpansions using effects. It won't be just sawtooths. But forget it.
if anyone has missed the point it's you.

this started with the question if you use the expansion effects would it load in basic Omnisphere or be unusable? a preset was then, <Johnny rotten voice "a rude word"> shared </rotten rude word> to test this. the answer? it loads minus the effect in question.

for some reason despite the file in question being <50kb, you asked if a sample was being shared (which it wasn't).

then you started to move the goalposts with a "what if expansion presets are being shared?", which they weren't.

in any case, the omn files are presets - they don't contain the samples, which go into a different folder and have to be packaged up for distribution. plus, even if someone went to all that bother, it wouldn't load as expected because the effect won't be licensed (and who knows, maybe the samples are encoded so they only unlock with a licence).

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:48 pm As far as I know a shared Omnisphere patch or bank references the sample, if the sample is used from Omnisphere's core library. Except, when the sample used is a user sample.
It wasn't either. It was the Initialized Patch with an added Nylon Sky Reverb. That's all. Stop trying to cancel NoiseBoyUK, he's an OG.

hoxclab wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:48 pm As far as I know a shared Omnisphere patch or bank references the sample, if the sample is used from Omnisphere's core library. Except, when the sample used is a user sample.
It wasn't either. It was the Initialized Patch with an added Nylon Sky Reverb. That's all. Stop trying to cancel NoiseBoyUK, he's an OG.
huh? That has no relevance to my response.

I've been looking closely at the Nylon Sky but it occurred to me that I have almost every OrangeTree Sample Guitar Library (thanks Group Buy!). I thought, I wonder how Omnisphere's new Strum algos/presets in the arp would work since I'm not a huge fan of the strumming script in those libraries. Here's a small 8 bar sample of a Omnisphere Strummer pattern playing the OTS Mandolin (mostly a palm mute preset).

https://www.bandlab.com/jobi7/mandolin- ... 4a5e798978

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:06 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:43 am OK so which genres would you say each expansion suits the most ?
NYLON SKY
Not very genre-specific this. Anything that might use a nylon guitar. The patch variations are pretty broad, in the main it's all on the gentle side of things as you might expect.

SEISMIC SHOCK
Any form of dance music - EDM, Dubstep, Trap, the usual suspects. Also pop too.

UNCLEAN MACHINE
(still haven't had the time to try this, but retro obviously - but older sounds are so prevelant in all genres now it's usefulness is pretty broad I'd expect)

UNDERCURRENT
This feels a bit mis-labelled, claiming to be "the darker side". Some are dark, but most patches I've tried thus far aren't at all, but they are utterly gorgeous. Very broad range of stuff here for electronica, soundtracks, pop, pop/rock, alt... almost anything really.
Ok thanks mate .
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

jobi7 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 pm I've been looking closely at the Nylon Sky but it occurred to me that I have almost every OrangeTree Sample Guitar Library (thanks Group Buy!). I thought, I wonder how Omnisphere's new Strum algos/presets in the arp would work since I'm not a huge fan of the strumming script in those libraries. Here's a small 8 bar sample of a Omnisphere Strummer pattern playing the OTS Mandolin (mostly a palm mute preset).

How did you get this to work? Like how did you get the arp from Omnisphere working with Orange Tree? Sounds interesting.

hoxclab wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:26 pm
jobi7 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:07 pm I've been looking closely at the Nylon Sky but it occurred to me that I have almost every OrangeTree Sample Guitar Library (thanks Group Buy!). I thought, I wonder how Omnisphere's new Strum algos/presets in the arp would work since I'm not a huge fan of the strumming script in those libraries. Here's a small 8 bar sample of a Omnisphere Strummer pattern playing the OTS Mandolin (mostly a palm mute preset).

How did you get this to work? Like how did you get the arp from Omnisphere working with Orange Tree? Sounds interesting.
Omnisphere has a MIDI recorder built into the arp. So pick any patch in Omnisphere and turn on the Arp. If you've downloaded the new 2.8 update, select an arp preset from the STRUM folder. (The one I did is called "Rancho Strummo". Then on the bottom right select the "Capture" button and select a pattern length up to 16 bars. Just hit play on your DAW (don't need to record it) and play a chord progression the length of the pattern. It will stop recording at the end of the length you've set. Then you can drag it as a MIDI pattern (that four arrow cross pattern next to the capture button) onto any MIDI track and use it with any MIDI instrument you have. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Very cool.

A couple of other thoughts while I test this. Muted strings with slower mid to slower tempos seem to work the most realistically. I have to keep playing with it though. Very promising.

I think all the patch sharing thing is burning out, but to clarify:

1. It is fine for a third party patch to use Spectrasonics samples. The patch itself only contains a reference to those samples.

2. If it uses Spectrasonics wavetables, this is fine too.

3. There's no difference between Extensions, Trilian, Keyscape, Moog etc with regard to any of this. You just need to make sure that the users of your patches have all the elements you are using, otherwise the patch won't work properly. Simply - if you are making patches for regular Omni 2 users, don't use any elements (soundsources, wavetables or fx) from other Spectrasonics libraries.

4. If you use your own Soundsources, the patch saved only references these too. If you want to share the patches with your own soundsources, you need to export them as a .omnisphere file.

This was a public service announcement. No copyrights have been infringed, or lawyers notified.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Sonic Extensions - Undercurrent - Part 2 No talk Deep Walkthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMDUdzUBsQY

LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:43 am OK so which genres would you say each expansion suits the most ?
NYLON SKY
Not very genre-specific this. Anything that might use a nylon guitar. The patch variations are pretty broad, in the main it's all on the gentle side of things as you might expect.

SEISMIC SHOCK

UNCLEAN MACHINE
(still haven't had the time to try this, but retro obviously - but older sounds are so prevelant in all genres now it's usefulness is pretty broad I'd expect)

UNDERCURRENT
This feels a bit mis-labelled, claiming to be "the darker side". Some are dark, but most patches I've tried thus far aren't at all, but they are utterly gorgeous. Very broad range of stuff here for electronica, soundtracks, pop, pop/rock, alt... almost anything really.
Ok thanks mate .
And just to update now I've played with it: UNCLEAN MACHINE is indeed pretty broad. Although it's retro and lofi-focused, the gimmicky noise effects can quickly be tamed or eliminated and it's still a great set of sounds and sources. As they mentioned in today's Q&A, hip hop uses a lot of these kinds of sounds. A lot of generically useful stuff in there.

Probably also worth highlighting that as the name implies, Seismic Shock is at the extreme end of everything. It's brutal, in a good way. Seth Norman created the legendary PluginGuru Toxic bank - I remember when that came out it was light years ahead of anything else (including the factory patches) for aggressive dance music stuff.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

dvnation wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:35 am
JHernandez wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:07 pm They all sound great. I like Unclean Machine the most. It's just more my thing. Still, It's so unique and pristine sounding that I can't see myself using it so far. Modern "lo-fi" I guess? Even the noises are so well record/sampled. At least from what I've heard so far. Too much talking and the guest music didn't do anything positive for me.

Guess I'll wait for more demos. Still curious.
https://youtu.be/PAWHTbrsZaM
Hey thanks! :tu: I'll check it out as soon as I get a chance.
-JH

noiseboyuk wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 pm
LeVzi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:09 pm
NYLON SKY

SEISMIC SHOCK

UNCLEAN MACHINE

UNDERCURRENT
Ok thanks mate .
And just to update now I've played with it: UNCLEAN MACHINE is indeed pretty broad. Although it's retro and lofi-focused, the gimmicky noise effects can quickly be tamed or eliminated and it's still a great set of sounds and sources. As they mentioned in today's Q&A, hip hop uses a lot of these kinds of sounds. A lot of generically useful stuff in there.

Probably also worth highlighting that as the name implies, Seismic Shock is at the extreme end of everything. It's brutal, in a good way. Seth Norman created the legendary PluginGuru Toxic bank - I remember when that came out it was light years ahead of anything else (including the factory patches) for aggressive dance music stuff.
yeah tbh Seismic shock is probably the only one right now i'd get. But at $149 is simply ridiculous pricing for an expansion with a few effects thrown in. And they've happily said "No Sales EVER" which really p!ssed me off. I am using Omnisphere a LOT now I have it, offers me something different, but they need to revisit their pricing on these extensions.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:59 amAnd they've happily said "No Sales EVER" which really p!ssed me off. I am using Omnisphere a LOT now I have it, offers me something different, but they need to revisit their pricing on these extensions.
That has been their policy for the last couple of decades, so you can't be surprised?

Which reminds me - people have said that the existence of a PROMO code suggests their comments are disingenuous. I could be wrong, but I think that box has always existed.

Yesterday they ran a contest and gave away all 4 expansions to one lucky winner. I expect he got a PROMO code. That, essentially, is what it will be for (not just this one guy I mean, but when they give away gratis copies for whatever reason).
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

Return to “Instruments”