Spectrasonics says they have big news coming next Tuesday (19th October)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
3469 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:13 am

FWIW...

I did hear someone who works for a different company say recently that nearly all of their support and feedback issues come from hobbyists. Pros think differently - they use the tools that work for them, know how to use them and just get on with it. He said, effectively, that if this really WERE Spectrasonics' policy to price the hobbyists out of reach, they would understand it.

Worth stressing - there's no evidence that this is what they are actively doing, they've never remotely suggested it, but - as they say - just sayin'.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRAF
5000 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:27 am

Sounds like gatekeeping.

Also a pro in bulgaria probably earns less than a hobbyist in sweeden

KVRAF
3645 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:07 am

Ploki wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:27 am
Sounds like gatekeeping.

Also a pro in bulgaria probably earns less than a hobbyist in sweeden
I dunno, that chalga is pretty popular.
"Part Man, Part Machine, Part Bird, Part Drum - It's Robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop" - James Acaster

addled muppet weed
86198 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:15 am

LeVzi wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:46 pm

But all I keep hearing is Omnisphere 2 is only for pro's not hobbyists, so the mere normal person shouldn't be in the price range of these exclusive extensions. :lol: :lol:
not the point i was making.

there is nothing ive heard, in the demos, that with a bit of time and effort, i couldn't do with things i own myself.
the one luxury we as hobbyists have that pros would kill for? time!

they need something that works right now! so have to pay someone else to do the work, the price is for time saved to those people, even the lower paid nations, it works out as time saved.
when your hourly rate, is reasonably high, you don't want to "waste" hours on each bit, as you don't get hired again...

KVRAF
5000 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:59 am

That’s true. But from the demos i heard they’re smoking crack.

In the end its some pads or bleepbloops you probably already have.
If you’re pro enough, u-he builds you a custom zebra, else you’re not pro

KVRAF
7276 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 am

You guys seem to be assuming that “pro” equals wealthy and “hobbyist” equals poor, which I very much doubt is the case. I’d bet good money that Spectrasonics is netting more profit from people in the “hobbyist” category by sheer quantity of sales than they are from those in the “pro” category.

KVRian
563 posts since 11 Nov, 2010 from ny

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 am

cryophonik wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 am
You guys seem to be assuming that “pro” equals wealthy and “hobbyist” equals poor, which I very much doubt is the case. I’d bet good money that Spectrasonics is netting more profit from people in the “hobbyist” category by sheer quantity of sales than they are from those in the “pro” category.
Correct 100%. Its because fiscally responsible people are wise with their money, while hobbyists blow it on expansion packs

KVRAF
7276 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:38 am

vertibration wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:31 am
cryophonik wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:07 am
Correct 100%. Its because fiscally responsible people are wise with their money, while hobbyists blow it on expansion packs
No. Pros aren't people who are all fiscally responsible and hobbyists aren't all fiscally irresponsible. That doesn't even make any sense. Both categories are comprised of people with incomes ranging across the spectrum and have a wide variety of spending habits and priorities. Hobbyists simply outnumber pros by a large number and that equates with more sales.

KVRAF
3469 posts since 25 Jan, 2007

Post Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:13 am
FWIW...

I did hear someone who works for a different company say recently that nearly all of their support and feedback issues come from hobbyists. Pros think differently - they use the tools that work for them, know how to use them and just get on with it. He said, effectively, that if this really WERE Spectrasonics' policy to price the hobbyists out of reach, they would understand it.
I'm just gonna post this again. From someone who works for another developer.

Price is only one part of this equation. Spectrasonics knows what appeals to pros - fantastic sounds out of the box that inspires musical and creative thinking, is easy to play, perform and manipulate. And they know pros value those things and are happy to pay a bit more for them as it makes their job easier and better.

I used a preset from Undercurrent on a track a couple of days ago. Using just the front panel controls, I was quickly able to automate and vary 3 parameters that made it the constantly evolving bedrock of a track that I could shape exactly where I needed it. It actively suggested some really great directions it could go in. All that one track then needed was 1 synth bass, 2 guitar and drum tracks - done. Sounded stunning to me, exactly what I was going for, and the creative juices flowed very easily.

All of that can be done with other tools. I didn't "need" Undercurrent do it, but it gave me a ton of useful flexibility and meant I could work incredibly fast. Not everyone wants to work that way, indeed not all pros want to work that way - plenty want to creative everything bespoke. But a lot do, and a lot appreciate it. And that, I think, is the Spectrasonics model - they know and value these customers, as the customers value the company.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2019 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 10.5
MBP 2015 OSX 10.13.3 2.8ghz 16gb 1TB SSD

KVRist
136 posts since 12 Nov, 2020

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:46 am

noiseboyuk wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:21 am
... And that, I think, is the Spectrasonics model - they know and value these customers, as the customers value the company.
WTF does that mean? LOL.
"From someone who works for another developer." Sure sounds like he works for Spectrasonics.
Is this the same Spectrasonics which makes it incredibly difficult for people to sell Spectrasonics product that they own, dragging it out for months and asking them why they want to sell it, as if they are idiots or traitors for simply no longer wanting to use a Spectrasonics program, or desperately needing the money?

I'll say one thing for Sonic Extensions though, the interface is beautiful and easy to use, skeumorphic, as all interfaces should be (and used to be). I can't say the same for Soundpaint, which is a great shame.

I think you should all wait for Soundpaint to come out, before buying Sonic Extensions, at least we'll know what Soundpaint offers and for how much, and can make an informed decision.
Last edited by BenfordLaw on Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
6635 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:13 am

Why the comparisons with soundpaint? Soundpaint is no full synth like omnisphere....
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

KVRAF
4287 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:43 am

Tendou wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 am
Is there any of those expansions usefull for techno production?
Undercurrent is probably the most useful of the four for you depending on the type of techno stuff you are making.

KVRAF
1746 posts since 26 Aug, 2012

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:14 am

So does anyone regret buying these expansions?

KVRAF
9033 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:18 am

Kinh wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:14 am
So does anyone regret buying these expansions?
Probably too soon for regrets...folks are likely still in the honeymoon phase. Ask again in six months or a year and you may get a different answer.

KVRAF
3645 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:20 am

No one would admit it even if they did.
"Part Man, Part Machine, Part Bird, Part Drum - It's Robo-bongo-cuckoo-cop" - James Acaster

Return to “Instruments”