Spectrasonics build up to Sonic Extensions....

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere 2 Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:22 am Hi,

I'm experiencing very high CPU usage in Omnisphere 2, I have the latest version, all components are up to date. Also purchased the Undercurrent Extension. But the very high CPU usage is not making me like it.

Does it support multicore processors ? do I need to enable a setting for that to happen ? I checked, but didn't find any thing that I can turn on for multicore support. I tested both VST2, and VST3 versions, and both are problematic with regards to CPU usage.

I'm on Windows 10, using Studio One Pro 5.4.1

Anyone else experiencing the very high-CPU usage ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp
No problems here on Windows 10 and FL Studio 20.8.4. Is the problem happening with any patches or Undercurrent ones only? What's the high CPU usage like?

It relies on host for multicore support, so AFAIK there is no setting for it in Omnisphere.

Yes, mostly with the new Undercurrent Patches.

The other patches are reasonable with regards to CPU usage.

I would have not purchased this expansion at $149. if I knew this was a side effect of these patches. Kind of a bummer.

i.e. This one patch from Undercurrent, playing three note chord. My CPU is at 51 % , that's insane.

Spectrasonics needs to add multicore support to Omnisphere 2, and not rely on the Host multicore implementation. i.e. I have some really efficient, yet super demanding process VST Instruments, that are super efficient because they have it implemented into the plugin. You can switch it ON/OFF. in the Instrument itself.

I see, that's quite high. If it is a problem with Undercurrent, I'd suggest emailing their tech support. They are fast and really good. If they are already aware of it, you might see an update for Undercurrent or Omnisphere soon. Maybe worth trying in a different DAW if possible? You can download FL Studio for free and give it a try.

I have Unclean Machine and I don't see any problems or difference with factory patches. There's hardly any CPU usage increase for me when I have just loaded Omnisphere and any patch.

The thing is if they do add multicore support, I believe keeping it enabled in both DAW and plugin can cause issues, as I have observed when turning on such feature in Battery 4, for example. So, not sure if that would be helpful. Rather they could improve their software if there is indeed an issue with high CPU usage, but it doesn't seem to be a general case, so not sure about that.

Hey Muzikulp, I just did a test using standalone on that patch on my system (7820K, Win 10). I get 2.4 percent usage on a triad there, so it seems to be something specific to your system.

It's a bit of a long shot, but if you're Windows, just maaaaaybe it's something to do with having a floating clock rate on the CPU? Mine is fixed at 4.3ghz (a mild overclock), because the system builders at Scan said they get huge CPU spikes sometimes if it's left on the usual config where the clock varies and using turbo boost. (Likely it's something else, but thought I'd mention it just in case).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:33 am Hey Muzikulp, I just did a test using standalone on that patch on my system (7820K, Win 10). I get 2.4 percent usage on a triad there, so it seems to be something specific to your system.

It's a bit of a long shot, but if you're Windows, just maaaaaybe it's something to do with having a floating clock rate on the CPU? Mine is fixed at 4.3ghz (a mild overclock), because the system builders at Scan said they get huge CPU spikes sometimes if it's left on the usual config where the clock varies and using turbo boost. (Likely it's something else, but thought I'd mention it just in case).
In Standalone it is showing 1.6 CPU usage, so the issue is with the Omnisphere VST , Which I think is not multi-thereading inside the DAW, it needs to be improved by Spectrasonics to utilize mutlicores when running as a VST.

Pic in Standlone with CPU meter. using the same patch.

Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 5:00 pm
noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:33 am Hey Muzikulp, I just did a test using standalone on that patch on my system (7820K, Win 10). I get 2.4 percent usage on a triad there, so it seems to be something specific to your system.

In Standalone it is showing 1.6 CPU usage, so the issue is with the Omnisphere VST , Which I think is not multi-thereading inside the DAW, it needs to be improved by Spectrasonics to utilize mutlicores when running as a VST.

Pic in Standlone with CPU meter. using the same patch.

Reboot and create a new project in your DAW and give it a whirl to see what kind of usage you are seeing.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Muziksculp - I repeated the test in Cubase 11.0.30 in a blank project. At rest, with one instance of Omni loaded with this patch, CPU idles between 3.5-4.2%. Playing a triad on the patch peaks at 6.3%.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:11 pm Muziksculp - I repeated the test in Cubase 11.0.30 in a blank project. At rest, with one instance of Omni loaded with this patch, CPU idles between 3.5-4.2%. Playing a triad on the patch peaks at 6.3%.
Thanks for the feedback.

I rebooted my PC just in case. Tested again using the 'Memory Waves' patch, just loading this patch, without playing any notes, it bumps the CPU meter to 20%, playing three notes moves it up to 51%.

Not good. I don't have issues with other VSTs. So, it might be related to the way Omnisphere is dealing with Studio One Pro 5.4.1 , It would be helpful if other S1Pro 5 users / Windows 10 could test this, and report on this thread. I have a server class PC, with 20 cores, 128 GB RAM, so it surely is not my PC System.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

Hi,

Another test using the same Undercurrent Patch 'Memory Waves' , This time I wanted to check what is enabled in each of the four layers of this Patch, I noticed that both HARM, and FM were enabled for all four layers, so I disabled them, and noticed that the CPU meter went down to 23% even when playing 4 or 5 note chords.

So it must be the load these Synthesis processes are loading on the system that is adding the high-CPU load. But this doesn't happen when using them with all patches, so kind of strange what's happening.

I will continue to waste my time testing this. Maybe Spectrasonics will reply to my tech-support email, I'm curious to know what they will say.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Hi,

Another Update , I tested using some of the synthesis options, i.e. FM, HARM, Granular on other non-Undercurrent sources, the CPU meter was not going crazy, there was a much lower CPU load, even when using multiple Patches in Stack Mode.

So, I think something is odd with this new Undercurrent Extensions source sounds, or related to it in some way. Not sure what it is.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm It would be helpful if other S1Pro 5 users / Windows 10 could test this, and report on this thread.
i9 10900K @3,7GHz/32MB/Win10/S1 latest version/otherwise empty song

I got a usage spike when *loading* the Memory Waves patch. Then it idles around 20%, according to the built-in performance monitor. Goes up to about 32% when playing a triad, although once it went up to about 44%.

By comparison, Membrane Wall (the previous patch when sorting A-Z) idles at 13% and goes to 14% when playing a triad. Mental Disorder (the subsequent patch when sorting A-Z) idles at around 14% and goes to 20% when playing a triad.

I'm not much of a testing/benchmark kind of person but I can check other patches if needed.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:12 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:33 pm It would be helpful if other S1Pro 5 users / Windows 10 could test this, and report on this thread.
i9 10900K @3,7GHz/32MB/Win10/S1 latest version/otherwise empty song

I got a usage spike when *loading* the Memory Waves patch. Then it idles around 20%, according to the built-in performance monitor. Goes up to about 32% when playing a triad, although once it went up to about 44%.

By comparison, Membrane Wall (the previous patch when sorting A-Z) idles at 13% and goes to 14% when playing a triad. Mental Disorder (the subsequent patch when sorting A-Z) idles at around 14% and goes to 20% when playing a triad.

I'm not much of a testing/benchmark kind of person but I can check other patches if needed.
Thanks for the tests.

Your testing results surely confirms the high-CPU usage of this new Extension (Undercurrent), I hope to hear from Spectrasonics next week, I already emailed their Tech. Support yesterday about this issue.

I will post any updates about this on this thread.

Cheers,
Muzikculp

Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pmSo, I think something is odd with this new Undercurrent Extensions source sounds, or related to it in some way. Not sure what it is.
Yet you say it's ok for you in standalone?

It's a very strange set of symptoms. Only these sources sounds... yet is seems unlikely that the sources themselves could be technically different in any way. Further, all this ONLY happens within Studio One, correct? For me this patch behaves like everything else in standalone and in Cubase.

Spectrasonics should have all the DAWs there, so hopefully they'll be able to replicate or not.
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:49 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:08 pmSo, I think something is odd with this new Undercurrent Extensions source sounds, or related to it in some way. Not sure what it is.
Yet you say it's ok for you in standalone?

It's a very strange set of symptoms. Only these sources sounds... yet is seems unlikely that the sources themselves could be technically different in any way. Further, all this ONLY happens within Studio One, correct? For me this patch behaves like everything else in standalone and in Cubase.

Spectrasonics should have all the DAWs there, so hopefully they'll be able to replicate or not.
Actually, although the Task Manager shows low CPU, as i.e. 5% in standalone mode, it also indicated heavy usage, so that didn't make sense, and I did experience some audio clicks playing 4 notes chords repeatedly, I guess it can't catch up with the polyphony/processing needed.

I will stay away from using Undercurrent for now, since I have no issues with the other sound sources of Omnisphere, and hope to get some feedback from Spectrasonics regarding this issue, maybe they can get to the bottom of it, given they can test it with Studio One Pro 5.4.1 to replicate the issue.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Return to “Instruments”