Dissolve (Seismic Ambient Repast Rehabilitation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jancivil wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:48 am
seismic1 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:55 am
jancivil wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:19 am I meant depth, it's all like 'right in front'.
Here is an alternative mix - I rebuilt the project to incorporate parallel routing, which in turn allowed me to better automate the transitions between "clean" and processed sounds. I also added B2 to the Rhodes emulations. The mastering chain used for the remix is identical to the original.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/dissolve2liquify
this is a whole different world
excellent. Opaque melodies that would bug most people
My entire room absorbed every echo

Thanks very much for giving this another listen, jan. Glad you enjoyed it :)

I always heard 'My in tar room'

vurt wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:29 pm
seismic1 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:08 am
vurt wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:08 am very nice, post bong.
has a touch of darkness to it, very apt for late on samhain 🎃🎃🎃
Surely that was early, not late. There were still over 13 hours to go :party: :lol:

Writing these pieces seems to happen more naturally in autumn/winter

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment, vurt. Glad you enjoyed it :)
well yeah, its lasts in to the evening after, but thats then early, so it was the late bit in the middle :lol:
I had to read that 2 or 3 times before I could agree :lol:
vurt wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:29 pm i know what you mean about writing things like this more easily this time of year, i guess its the darker nights feeding in to our psyches? or we are just starting to fear xmas being so close :o
It's awkward for me writing the gloomier stuff in the summer. I usually won't start a writing session until after midnight, which leaves me 3 or 4 hours of (occasionally) productive time if I want to be awake by 9am.

I listened to the original version. I find most of this piece disorienting. The phrases seem to be tumbling over themselves, never quite resolving before the next one starts. Things get slightly more relaxed as it shifts into a more ambient mode but I still get an uneasy feeling like riding a merry-go-round that has mechanical faults and desperately needs servicing. Help I want to get off!

The remix only adds to the discombobulation. I would need to stock on Dramamine before attempting to sit through it.

had a read-through on the comments , then listened to both versions ...
jan's take was spot on , as per usual ; staging is an important aspect of mixing ...
those things frantz found disconcerting , i found endearing ...

the second mix is a quantum improvement from the first mix ...
the intro evokes wabi-sabi ; the outro brings shibui ...

Frantz wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:06 pm I listened to the original version. I find most of this piece disorienting. The phrases seem to be tumbling over themselves, never quite resolving before the next one starts. Things get slightly more relaxed as it shifts into a more ambient mode but I still get an uneasy feeling like riding a merry-go-round that has mechanical faults and desperately needs servicing. Help I want to get off!

The remix only adds to the discombobulation. I would need to stock on Dramamine before attempting to sit through it.
It's all in regular time, but I sequenced the MIDI in a deliberately "clumsy" fashion which is probably causing most of your disorientation.

Slightly off-topic - Up until the age of 14 I suffered from asthma and travel-sickness. I couldn't travel in the back of a car without feeling unwell, and sitting in the front wasn't much better. I would have thought these two ailments were unrelated, but possibly not. Just after my 14th birthday, the asthma diluted itself into hay fever, and the travel-sickness disappeared completely. At the age of 25 I moved overseas to a very warm climate, and the hay fever called it a day too.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Keep the window open :)

one thing about this time of year where I'm from, it starts getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. it seems to happen quickly and its most disconcerting and disorienting, to use words describing this piece. by 5pm its dark and thats when this had its most effect because you're never sure why its become so dark so early. is something bad coming or is it an eclipse, or the beginning of the end, lol. anyway the composition worked for me in the right moment.

experimental.crow wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:54 am had a read-through on the comments , then listened to both versions ...
jan's take was spot on , as per usual ; staging is an important aspect of mixing ...
those things frantz found disconcerting , i found endearing ...

the second mix is a quantum improvement from the first mix ...
the intro evokes wabi-sabi ; the outro brings shibui ...
Thanks very much for the great comments e.c. I enjoyed the aesthetic observations. Glad you liked it :)

The remix improvements were 95% down to the reverbs. I replaced the Lounge Lizard reverb with B2, and, after reading the documentation, :dog: changed the Modes in Supermassive in order to add some pre-delay.

An interesting track. It has some dark but very intriguing atmosphere. I like how it drenches into reverb over time.

I imagine a person who spends all his evenings drowned into his own thoughts. He sits beside the window and starts thinking about the odds of his life, a hard decisions that is to be made, a missed opportunities, dark secrets and desires. Eventually he loses any sense of time and place, so that his dreams and nightmares becomes a part of the reality.
"Some people don't like music created on a PC and declare it as "fake". I don't care. The only thing matters to me is the end result."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

wavephonic wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:41 pm one thing about this time of year where I'm from, it starts getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. it seems to happen quickly and its most disconcerting and disorienting, to use words describing this piece. by 5pm its dark and thats when this had its most effect because you're never sure why its become so dark so early. is something bad coming or is it an eclipse, or the beginning of the end, lol. anyway the composition worked for me in the right moment.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Ed. Glad you managed to achieve the perfect multi-sensory experience :D

I'm looking forward to the 14th of December, by which time the afternoons will be getting longer.

Reminds me of early piano lessons I never attended. With the progression of the track, that feel just digs / creeps into one's mind - slightly wonky, with a hint of suspense.
Last edited by htcnext2 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nice mix as usual...I like the slightly sinister undertones.

Good job on the new mix. It is clearer and the instrument sounds stand out better from each other.

VCA-089 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:11 pm An interesting track. It has some dark but very intriguing atmosphere. I like how it drenches into reverb over time.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, VCA-089. Glad you liked it :)
VCA-089 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:11 pm I imagine a person who spends all his evenings drowned into his own thoughts. He sits beside the window and starts thinking about the odds of his life, a hard decisions that is to be made, a missed opportunities, dark secrets and desires. Eventually he loses any sense of time and place, so that his dreams and nightmares becomes a part of the reality.
I liked this summary/analysis a lot. It's great when a piece of music can generate an alternative "back-story" which I had not considered, but can completely understand :tu:

htcnext2 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am Reminds me of early piano lessons I never attended. With the progression of the track, that feel just digs / creeps into one's mind - slightly wonky, with a hint of suspense.
It's a wonky-tonk piano or two :D

I enjoyed putting this together, using various reverbs to "de-characterise" the instruments by turning them into soup.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, htcnext2. Glad you liked it :)

Return to “Music Cafe”