Dissolve (Seismic Ambient Repast Rehabilitation)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:41 pm

jancivil wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:48 pm
seismic1 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:55 pm
jancivil wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:19 pm
I meant depth, it's all like 'right in front'.
Here is an alternative mix - I rebuilt the project to incorporate parallel routing, which in turn allowed me to better automate the transitions between "clean" and processed sounds. I also added B2 to the Rhodes emulations. The mastering chain used for the remix is identical to the original.

https://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/dissolve2liquify
this is a whole different world
excellent. Opaque melodies that would bug most people
My entire room absorbed every echo

Thanks very much for giving this another listen, jan. Glad you enjoyed it :)

jancivil
KVRAF
23613 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from gonesville

Post Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:25 pm

I always heard 'My in tar room'

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:40 pm

vurt wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:29 pm
seismic1 wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:08 pm
vurt wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:08 pm
very nice, post bong.
has a touch of darkness to it, very apt for late on samhain 🎃🎃🎃
Surely that was early, not late. There were still over 13 hours to go :party: :lol:

Writing these pieces seems to happen more naturally in autumn/winter

Thanks very much for taking the time to comment, vurt. Glad you enjoyed it :)
well yeah, its lasts in to the evening after, but thats then early, so it was the late bit in the middle :lol:
I had to read that 2 or 3 times before I could agree :lol:
vurt wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:29 pm
i know what you mean about writing things like this more easily this time of year, i guess its the darker nights feeding in to our psyches? or we are just starting to fear xmas being so close :o
It's awkward for me writing the gloomier stuff in the summer. I usually won't start a writing session until after midnight, which leaves me 3 or 4 hours of (occasionally) productive time if I want to be awake by 9am.

User avatar
Frantz
KVRAF
5781 posts since 18 Jul, 2008 from New York

Post Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:06 pm

I listened to the original version. I find most of this piece disorienting. The phrases seem to be tumbling over themselves, never quite resolving before the next one starts. Things get slightly more relaxed as it shifts into a more ambient mode but I still get an uneasy feeling like riding a merry-go-round that has mechanical faults and desperately needs servicing. Help I want to get off!

The remix only adds to the discombobulation. I would need to stock on Dramamine before attempting to sit through it.

experimental.crow
KVRAF
6696 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from the bridge of sighs

Post Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:54 pm

had a read-through on the comments , then listened to both versions ...
jan's take was spot on , as per usual ; staging is an important aspect of mixing ...
those things frantz found disconcerting , i found endearing ...

the second mix is a quantum improvement from the first mix ...
the intro evokes wabi-sabi ; the outro brings shibui ...
Image

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:53 pm

Frantz wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:06 pm
I listened to the original version. I find most of this piece disorienting. The phrases seem to be tumbling over themselves, never quite resolving before the next one starts. Things get slightly more relaxed as it shifts into a more ambient mode but I still get an uneasy feeling like riding a merry-go-round that has mechanical faults and desperately needs servicing. Help I want to get off!

The remix only adds to the discombobulation. I would need to stock on Dramamine before attempting to sit through it.
It's all in regular time, but I sequenced the MIDI in a deliberately "clumsy" fashion which is probably causing most of your disorientation.

Slightly off-topic - Up until the age of 14 I suffered from asthma and travel-sickness. I couldn't travel in the back of a car without feeling unwell, and sitting in the front wasn't much better. I would have thought these two ailments were unrelated, but possibly not. Just after my 14th birthday, the asthma diluted itself into hay fever, and the travel-sickness disappeared completely. At the age of 25 I moved overseas to a very warm climate, and the hay fever called it a day too.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, Frantz. Keep the window open :)

wavephonic
KVRian
1279 posts since 11 Sep, 2006 from along the rivers edge in northern Ontario

Post Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:41 am

one thing about this time of year where I'm from, it starts getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. it seems to happen quickly and its most disconcerting and disorienting, to use words describing this piece. by 5pm its dark and thats when this had its most effect because you're never sure why its become so dark so early. is something bad coming or is it an eclipse, or the beginning of the end, lol. anyway the composition worked for me in the right moment.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:02 pm

experimental.crow wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:54 pm
had a read-through on the comments , then listened to both versions ...
jan's take was spot on , as per usual ; staging is an important aspect of mixing ...
those things frantz found disconcerting , i found endearing ...

the second mix is a quantum improvement from the first mix ...
the intro evokes wabi-sabi ; the outro brings shibui ...
Thanks very much for the great comments e.c. I enjoyed the aesthetic observations. Glad you liked it :)

The remix improvements were 95% down to the reverbs. I replaced the Lounge Lizard reverb with B2, and, after reading the documentation, :dog: changed the Modes in Supermassive in order to add some pre-delay.

VCA-089
KVRist
138 posts since 26 Jun, 2018

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 am

An interesting track. It has some dark but very intriguing atmosphere. I like how it drenches into reverb over time.

I imagine a person who spends all his evenings drowned into his own thoughts. He sits beside the window and starts thinking about the odds of his life, a hard decisions that is to be made, a missed opportunities, dark secrets and desires. Eventually he loses any sense of time and place, so that his dreams and nightmares becomes a part of the reality.
"Music is like traveling. Traveling without moving."
SoundCloud YouTube Patreon

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:35 pm

wavephonic wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:41 am
one thing about this time of year where I'm from, it starts getting dark around 4:30 in the afternoon. it seems to happen quickly and its most disconcerting and disorienting, to use words describing this piece. by 5pm its dark and thats when this had its most effect because you're never sure why its become so dark so early. is something bad coming or is it an eclipse, or the beginning of the end, lol. anyway the composition worked for me in the right moment.
Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment, Ed. Glad you managed to achieve the perfect multi-sensory experience :D

I'm looking forward to the 14th of December, by which time the afternoons will be getting longer.

User avatar
htcnext2
Banned
852 posts since 3 Jul, 2017

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:26 am

Reminds me of early piano lessons I never attended. With the progression of the track, that feel just digs / creeps into one's mind - slightly wonky, with a hint of suspense.
Last edited by htcnext2 on Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

frank1985
KVRian
565 posts since 4 Jun, 2018 from Wiltshire, Uk

Post Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:07 am

Nice mix as usual...I like the slightly sinister undertones.

User avatar
markkuja
KVRian
1247 posts since 28 Oct, 2005 from Finland

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:15 am

Good job on the new mix. It is clearer and the instrument sounds stand out better from each other.

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:01 pm

VCA-089 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 am
An interesting track. It has some dark but very intriguing atmosphere. I like how it drenches into reverb over time.
Thanks very much for listening and commenting, VCA-089. Glad you liked it :)
VCA-089 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:11 am
I imagine a person who spends all his evenings drowned into his own thoughts. He sits beside the window and starts thinking about the odds of his life, a hard decisions that is to be made, a missed opportunities, dark secrets and desires. Eventually he loses any sense of time and place, so that his dreams and nightmares becomes a part of the reality.
I liked this summary/analysis a lot. It's great when a piece of music can generate an alternative "back-story" which I had not considered, but can completely understand :tu:

User avatar
seismic1
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10589 posts since 13 Mar, 2009 from UK

Post Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:20 pm

htcnext2 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:26 am
Reminds me of early piano lessons I never attended. With the progression of the track, that feel just digs / creeps into one's mind - slightly wonky, with a hint of suspense.
It's a wonky-tonk piano or two :D

I enjoyed putting this together, using various reverbs to "de-characterise" the instruments by turning them into soup.

Thanks very much for listening and commenting, htcnext2. Glad you liked it :)

Return to “Music Cafe”