Windows instead of Mac for near future ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I got MacBook Pro with M1 Max. Most of the plugins installed ok. Really miss Battery 4 tho, that it can’t get installed on Monterey.
Running everything thru Rosetta.
Logic crashes a lot and can’t run lots of plugins,
but Cubase 10.5 runs fine, not a single crash and detects all installed plugins.
But haven’t don’t anything heavy yet, only tests and running older projects that I transferred.
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Run Logic itself in Rosetta mode and it should stabilize. That way all the plugins don’t need to be individually bridged. It resolved my stability issues.

Tronam wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:51 pm Run Logic itself in Rosetta mode and it should stabilize. That way all the plugins don’t need to be individually bridged. It resolved my stability issues.
No offense, but that's just insane. For musicians, one of the biggest reasons to get a Mac with one of the new M1 Pro or Max chips is significantly improved Logic performance. But if most of your plugins are not M1-compatible and you have to run Logic via Rosetta to keep it from crashing, then what's the point? You're better off getting a current-gen Intel iMac and using that for the next 3 to 7 years until things finally shake out.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Rosetta 2 is often misunderstood. Logic in Rosetta mode is still a native binary. The performance is excellent, and still runs faster than my Intel Mac.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:37 am
You're better off getting a current-gen Intel iMac and using that for the next 3 to 7 years until things finally shake out.
So you're better off getting an obsolete, more expensive model with inferior performance so you can run the one or two plugins that aren't yet native, but will be in 3-7 MONTHS and run under (the excellent) Rosetta anyway?

Ok. Right. Sure. :hihi:

tehlord wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am
You're better off getting a current-gen Intel iMac and using that for the next 3 to 7 years until things finally shake out.
So you're better off getting an obsolete, more expensive model with inferior performance so you can run the one or two plugins that aren't yet native, but will be in 3-7 MONTHS and run under (the excellent) Rosetta anyway?
As far as I know, the current 10-core i9 iMac will give the M1 Max a run for its money in audio performance. (Video performance is another matter.) Plus you get an absolutely gorgeous 27" 5K display on the iMac for the same price as a similarly spec'd 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Gadget Fiend wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am
tehlord wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:55 am
As far as I know, the current 10-core i9 iMac will give the M1 Max a run for its money in audio performance. (Video performance is another matter.) Plus you get an absolutely gorgeous 27" 5K display on the iMac for the same price as a similarly spec'd 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro.
This. This is why I just bought a new 24” iMac with an M1 for everyday use and am keeping my i9 5k iMac specifically for music use until all of this shakes out a bit more.

I run RME...so Windows is king with the RME drivers. New i5 PC on the way to keep my babyface Pro FS happy.

mcm01 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:49 am I run RME...so Windows is king with the RME drivers. New i5 PC on the way to keep my babyface Pro FS happy.
Do you like your rme babyface pro fs? Just got mine. Never bought anything from rme before. Would the ucfx II have been a better buy?

wuworld wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:26 am
mcm01 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:49 am I run RME...so Windows is king with the RME drivers. New i5 PC on the way to keep my babyface Pro FS happy.
Do you like your rme babyface pro fs? Just got mine. Never bought anything from rme before. Would the ucfx II have been a better buy?
The ucfx II is a step up from Babyface. That said, the babyface pro fs has alot in common under the hood. I think fidelity wise, there is not much difference, but the ucfx II is more flexible, as you probably know, with more inputs and outputs. I run guitars in my home studio, so the babyface is all I need. I also have the original babyface and it's still well supported by RME with current updates. it also still performes stellar! To be honest, i'm not sure the Pro FS is getting me much more for what I do!...but the spec numbers are impressive!

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:33 amThe tZenbook Duo I have now
One man's treasure is another one's garbage. That cheap plastic POS is to me exactly what it looks like.
Let's put one more screen in there? Where? Where the keyboard should be.But.... DO IT!
It's such a f'g cheap design. Is that a touchpad next to the bottom keyboard? Where the numpad should be on a regular keyboard? I'm gonna through up right on it...
I can’t imagine that hulk of a device being any kind of portable or usable
Last edited by sQeetz on Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
void main(dumb)

Edit
void main(dumb)

sQeetz wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:16 amThat cheap plastic POS is to me exactly what it looks like.
Except it's not plastic, which is why I got it so cheap. The idiot I bought it from had drop his iPhone on it and dented the aluminium lid, something that wouldn't have happened if it was plastic, so nobody else bid on it. It's also an excellent illustration of why I will choose a plastic laptop or phone over a metal one every time.
Let's put one more screen in there? Where? Where the keyboard should be.But.... DO IT!
Again, except that putting the keyboard closer to the operator makes it a simple matter to place your MIDI controller in front of it, as you can see in the photo, without having to stretch my arms out to type. It's probably by accident but it's actually the best thing about the design, better even than the second screen.
Laptop.png
It's such a f'g cheap design. Is that a touchpad next to the bottom keyboard? Where the numpad should be on a regular keyboard?
Cheap ain't the word, it was the equivalent of US$850 or so. That's an absolute f**king steal for a 10th Gen Core i7, 16GB RAM and a 1TB NVMe SSD. On the more expensive models, the trackpad can also be the num pad but I'd be much, much happier fi there was no trackpad at all. I always keep them turned off, although with the current version of Win10 you can set it so it is only active if no other pointing device is attached, which could be kind of useful, I suppose.
I can’t imagine that hulk of a device being any kind of portable or usable
At 1.5kg it is 110g lighter than a 14" MacBook Pro, hardly a "hulk". You need to get your facts straight before you start writing stuff like this if you want to be taken seriously. It's not hard, it took me a whole 90 seconds to find out the weight of my machine and a MB Pro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Having the piano roll on that extra screen is really neat!

Yeah, I honestly don't think I could go back to a "normal" laptop arrangement, it has turned out to be so much better than I thought it would be. Fortunately, Asus seem committed to the form factor, they are making noises about the 3rd gen and there are three different model lines for the current gen - the base model like mine, one for "creative professionals" and a slightly tweaked version of that for gamers. The other two are more expensive than a MacBook Pro, though, so you have to pay for the power.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”