Madrona Labs Sumu

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

masterhiggins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:32 am Can't wait to be thoroughly disappointed by the crippling CPU usage.
I stopped using Aalto and Kaivo because of the cpu use. More specifically, that they use full cpu whether they are playing notes or not so they use up lots of cpu when idle.

They are only practical for me to record straight to audio and then deactivate the plugin to save the cpu.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:19 pm
masterhiggins wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:32 am Can't wait to be thoroughly disappointed by the crippling CPU usage.
I stopped using Aalto and Kaivo because of the cpu use. More specifically, that they use full cpu whether they are playing notes or not so they use up lots of cpu when idle.

They are only practical for me to record straight to audio and then deactivate the plugin to save the cpu.
thanks i will check that..
i think there is option in reaper to disable plugins when no audio but i m not sure

Sumu looks very good as a fan of their plugs i guess if i demo i will have to buy .. :D

i think it is quite system dependent, not very low cpu/sample buffer, but as expected from these kind of synths, even with MPE. and very managable. but 1 system very new, second system 2 years old... so...

WasteLand wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:28 pm

i think it is quite system dependent, not very low cpu/sample buffer, but as expected from these kind of synths, even with MPE. and very managable. but 1 system very new, second system 2 years old... so...
If you have an instance set to 4 voices, it uses the full CPU of 4 playing voices even when it is not playing any voices. So if I have a 6 minute composition, and a Kaivo part that lasts only 30 seconds, it still uses the full cpu during the entire 6 minutes. Quite inefficient!

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm

If you have an instance set to 4 voices, it uses the full CPU of 4 playing voices even when it is not playing any voices. So if I have a 6 minute composition, and a Kaivo part that lasts only 30 seconds, it still uses the full cpu during the entire 6 minutes. Quite inefficient!
i don't want to go into a debate, they are semi-modular, and i think they work even on sample rate, i assume it, and i think i even asked it. but my memory. assume: well that is the nature of modular...

but i get mixed results; system 1; reaper 5 instances of Kaivo kills it. no MPE.
system 2; bitwig, 11 instances, MPE, heavy modulation. all tracks armed, 8 voice. no stress...

on system 1, the double buffer of the soundinterface kicked in, for the first time i saw that i cán work, mostly it doesn't... the double buffer...

on system 2, no double buffer, but extreme low sample buffer load. for MPE, and these kind of synths. extreme low, it is an overstatement, but i could add more...

i can kill system 2 with Pigments 3, heavily modulated, MPE, with Bitwig, with only 4 instances...

i thought that on system 1 it could perform better, perhaps i sold the wrong soundinterface... well no prob, system 1 is meant for sketching, although i make also tracks with it.

system 2, well, it is my desktop/studio built, so, it is built for performance, also the soundinterface seems to influence the 'score'.

i use on both system a sample buffer of 512 samples, on system 2, i went to 256 samples, the result in percentage; sample buffer fill was the same.

is this interesting? it seems that Kaivo/Aalto indeed draw a lot, but it also depends on the system you have.

all done under Windows 10, by the way.

Reaper of course, all tracks armed, why choose bitwig, on system 2? well bitwig isn't that optimized, or it is.. it depends on the plugin..

EDIT: i only want to supply more info, although i don't share the specs of the system, perhaps worth it?

on my previous studio desktop, i had also no problems, with Kaivo. Aalto i just recently, some months, work with it.

but your remark is quite usefull; and you can demo Madronalab synths, without time restrictions (but with noise...), it seems quite worthfull to check if your system can handle them in way that is comfortable.

and perhaps, but that is question, for the developer, Randy, there are perhaps some optimizations necessary. the V2 versions are coming. well, also later...
Last edited by WasteLand on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sometimes problems with plugins are just problems of hosting DAWs.

martinjuenke wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:24 pm Sometimes problems with plugins are just problems of hosting DAWs.
yes a DAW influences the performance, but that is why, i think @pdxindy is right to also focus on the CPU draw...
some plugins perform better in one DAW, and some worse. even Cubase can be a performer, with some plugins...
or even Reaper can be killed (with armed tracks), by a plugin..

i did only a small stress test within Reaper, and Bitwig. i could also stress test within other DAW's.

but it seems, that the performance of your system and performance of the soundcard, are the main factor. it seems. no scientific statement.

:dog:

pdxindy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:35 pm:dog:
:scared: well i stated the obvious... but still.... :borg:

EDIT: on system 2, that performs quite impressive....., indeed the same sample buffer fill rate, without playing notes, or with playing notes.

is that inefficient? or by design? in other words, is it needed to make these synths work as they.. work...

great, was looking for a fm synth lately, this could be a winner.

One of the good aspect of that system is that you can drone with the oscillator by just turning the level knob and listen to the oscillators/voices at once, like on an hardware system... I like it actually, it's one of the rare vst I own that function like that.
What would be perfect is to be able to switch on and off that system though

Aalto isnt really that heavy on CPU, but Kaivo definitely brought my PC to the knees, and I havent bought it for that reason.

Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.

.jon wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:49 am Aalto isnt really that heavy on CPU, but Kaivo definitely brought my PC to the knees, and I havent bought it for that reason.

Just deactivate the track or device in your DAW to shut down the cpu when not in use, easy.
perhaps interesting for the developer on which systems, Aalto and/or Kaivo do not perform well.
Aalto/Kaivo will go to version 2 (paid upgrade) perhaps this can solve, something, or it is just the way they work. not all plugins can work on particular systems..

but that doesn't mean, improvements can be possible.

KMKMKM wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:31 am
One of the good aspect of that system is that you can drone with the oscillator by just turning the level knob and listen to the oscillators/voices at once, like on an hardware system... I like it actually, it's one of the rare vst I own that function like that.
What would be perfect is to be able to switch on and off that system though
I've got hardware modular for that... and it doesn't crush the CPU.

I don't have Kaivo installed anymore. It is too impractical to use for anything but a bit of playing around.

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:52 pm I've got hardware modular for that... and it doesn't crush the CPU.

I don't have Kaivo installed anymore. It is too impractical to use for anything but a bit of playing around.
of course always other solutions.. but which CPU, does Kaivo crush?

Return to “Instruments”