KVR oddly slow on M1 builds of chromium browsers

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've found a strange issue with extreme lag on KVR on my 14" M1 Pro laptop. On the M1-native builds of Chrome and Brave, KVR pages take forever to load, and I keep getting the "this page is taking too long to respond" message box. It seems to be related to the loading of 3rd-party scripts.

The weird thing is that I downloaded the Intel builds of Chrome and Brave and ran them under Rosetta2, and KVR is fast on them. It is only the M1 builds that do this, and only on KVR. All other sites are fast. FYI - the M1 build of Firefox doesn't have this issue. Very bizarre.

I'm sure KVR can do nothing about this, but I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this issue.

No, but I'm using Safari mostly. Chrome works fine on my M1 as well.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:38 pm No, but I'm using Safari mostly. Chrome works fine on my M1 as well.
Yeah. Safari and Firefox are both fine. Chrome/Brave under Rosetta is fine. But native Chrome/Brave, only on KVR, bogs down badly. So weird.

As I look at this more, it seems to have more to do with asynchronous page loading. For example, a forum post with a few YouTube embeds freezes the entire page until every embed loads. That doesn't happen in other browsers. The page loads fine, and then the embeds load asynchronously and appear whenever.

Are you on the original M1, or an M1 Pro/Max?

Original M1 mini.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Bombadil wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:36 pm Original M1 mini.
I wonder if this is a corner case where thread core assignment optimizations are breaking on the M1 Pro due to the different E/P core counts between the M1 and the Pro/Max.

I have the same problem on my M1 Macbook Air with Brave.

I've had issues with KVR freezing on my 16" MBP with the M1 Pro chip and Edge.

Noticed the same issue on my M1 Air, initially thought the site was being smashed due to Black Friday but it loads fine in Safari

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:20 pm I've had issues with KVR freezing on my 16" MBP with the M1 Pro chip and Edge.
Same for me, but with Brave...

Yeah - I'm getting this all the time. Also on an M1 Chrome setup.

It seems to be an issue with any M1-native Chromium browser which includes Chrome, Brave, and Edge.

While Safari isn't my favourite browser, it seems the most secure, and gets me where I'm going.
-Henry A. Wallace

I'm trying to track this down, albeit without an M1 Mac.

Is it any better now?

Just happened again here.

Anyone got any tips as to how to get useful diagnostic info when it occurs?

This is very interesting. I'm using a new MBP (M1 pro) and the KVR forum is unusable in Chrome (latest native version, 96.x), to the point where I can't refresh or anything. It only happens inside a thread on the forum, not on the Main Forum page.

I threw the Chrome profiler on it and it looks like it gets stuck here:

Return to “Site Stuff”